Which 18650 cell has highest overdischarge voltage protection?

arnea

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

It seems that most protected 18650 cells have overdischarge protection level set to 2,5V. I'm looking for cells that turn off at higher voltage, to better protect the cells.

Do such cells exist? I read the battery review threads in this forum but this aspect did not get much attention.

My plan is to build 1s5p pack for low-current long-running device from protected cells. I plan to strip the protection chips, solder the cells together and put a single protection chip in front of the pack.

Arne

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stating the obvious ...
If you strip the Protection Circuit , why not just buy one that meets your needs , and why not just buy unprotected cells to begin with ?

Stripping the Protection Circuit = removing damaging the battery sleeve , [plastic covering] and maybe other stuff ... Why open that can of worms , when it can be avoided ?

My Xtar 18700 tripped @ 3v or near enough to , cant speak for all of them , but that sample did around 3v which sounds like what your after .

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that most protected 18650 cells have overdischarge protection level set to 2,5V. I'm looking for cells that turn off at higher voltage, to better protect the cells.

luckily, now we're seeing new cells that were meant to go down to 2.5! perhaps you would reconsider? ;)