Catapult V2 vs Olight M31 which would you buy?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been watching various threads comparing 1000 (approx) lumen LED torches and I just wondered what the majority of people would say what their preference was?

I have had the Olight M30 Triton for about a year now but I am looking at upgrading to the Olight M31.

The Olight M31 is lighter and smaller to handle.

I know the M31 has limitations that the dealers have advertised due to heat building up inside it.

If you can live with that issue then what would you buy?

Obviously neither is also an option but please leave some constructive criticism if that is the case. :sssh:

lew187

Newly Enlightened
buy both!!!

:)

but the better one is the m31 imho...

I have both.

catapult v2 is more radical. It's heavyweight.

but both lights are good.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
buy both!!!

:)

but the better one is the m31 imho...

I have both.

catapult v2 is more radical. It's heavyweight.

but both lights are good.

Are you not concerned with the heat warning and limitations stated by Olight on the M31?

It is putting me off a little bit because my M30 will go full runtime for an hour with no problems.

How do you choose which one goes with you?

Maybe you also have other torches to choose from.

The screw threads wore out on my Olight M30 in just 11 months and it has gone back to the dealer under warranty.

That has also put me off Olight a little as well.

I posted a thread on CPF reegarding that issue.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290911

How is the Catapult V2 going and why do you say the Olight M31 is better?

I am not backing Olight in any way and I am open to other peoples advice always as you have both of these torches. :wave:

lew187

Newly Enlightened
I only use the high mode for few seconds.

Don't know how long the M31 will run in high.

Winter is coming, so don't care about heat :p

If I go for a walk or anything else I usually take my Jetbeam M2s with me... and sometime the M31 or the Catapult V2... also have a Jetbeam M1X.

I have no problems with the tailcap. It doesn't look like bad build.

I wud recommend u to buy the m31 cause this light is not a heavyweight like the cat v2. Catv2 is like an self defending instrument. It's a hammer.

Why do u want to buy one of these lights? whats ur intended use?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use the high mode for few seconds.

Don't know how long the M31 will run in high.

Winter is coming, so don't care about heat :p

If I go for a walk or anything else I usually take my Jetbeam M2s with me... and sometime the M31 or the Catapult V2... also have a Jetbeam M1X.

I have no problems with the tailcap. It doesn't look like bad build.

I wud recommend u to buy the m31 cause this light is not a heavyweight like the cat v2. Catv2 is like an self defending instrument. It's a hammer.

Why do u want to buy one of these lights? whats ur intended use?

I like the M30 floody output for walks.

I think I would like to be able to identify things a bit better at a distance of maybe 100 - 150 yards and still have a fair amount of spill if I upgraded to the M31.

I don't expect to identify anything realistically over 150 yards as I have posted before on CPF and received quite a few good comments regarding what in reality you can identify at a distance with throwers.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3535936#post3535936

From what I have seen in person and the reviews of the M31 it seems it would give me what I want.

And I also like the lighter weight of the Olight M30 and M31 as I used to put my Olight M30 in my back pocket quite well.

The M31 being bigger in the head might be a tighter fit in my manbag that I take everywhere.

Don't laugh about my manbag, I used to carry all of my things like a wallet and other assorted things in a plastic bag.

I got fed up with holes in the bags and decided to go for a leather bag that was easy to carry and I can also carry my M30 torch wherever I go.

I have never got any smart comments from anybody except family and friends in the beginning as I am quite a big boy.

I don't think the Catapult V2 would fit in my manbag or be very comfortable in my back pocket.

What do you use the M31 for then?

Is it just good to have them all for choice and comparing?

Maybe you just give them each a turn to avoid monotony.

I have a really diverse collection that covers all the bases pretty well from pocket carry (EDC) to monster HIDs. :wave:

lew187

Newly Enlightened
just buy the m31.. if u don't like it return...

u have to experience the m31.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for V2, or Jetbeam M2S.

Better built & better design, IMHO.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Advantages:

M31 : smaller, lighter, brighter, throws further, wider spill, strobe, clip, comes with plastic casing and holster, double o-rings.

Catapult V2: more defined beam, durable due to wall thickness and stainless steel bezel, supports lanyard, lower price, nice design.

I don't own a V2 so please correct me if I am wrong.

HKJ

Flashaholic
As owner of both light I would say it depends on how you plan to use the light:

Cat V2: This is the most solid light, with SS bezel and very thick body, it has a simple and fast user interface. It has a bright setting for long runtime and a very bright setting with shorter runtime.

M31: More modes (Strobe and a lower setting), but it is also more difficult to change modes. It is not as heavy to carry around.

uknewbie

Banned
Depends what you want to do with it?

Never used an M31 but the Catapult has a heavy duty feel to it. Which I think is a great thing. Even though I had heard it before I was still surprised at how sturdy it felt, a real weapon.

Great if this is what you are after, Good duty light for a cop etc IMO.