Featherweight 6C mag mod, super easy, well worth it.

Brian10962001

Newly Enlightened
I have been messing around with an old 6C cell mag lite I have. When I pulled it out of the garage it had been sitting for years with a burnt out bulb, no spare in the tail, and the switch cover was missing. At first I just threw some C's and a 9 volt incan bulb in it to get it running again. I forgot just how crap these old mags were! My Dorcy Luxeon lights kill it in every regard. My girlfriend has had a 2D cell red D series mag in her car with a Nite Eyez LED for ages now and I don't think it had ever been used (batteries expired in 2008!) so I gave her a mini eBay AA light for her purse and took the bulb and switch cover from the old D cell mag.

One of the big problems I used to have with this 6 C, and even worse with the old 6D cell mag I had was that the littlest impact on the end would crush the batteries making them useless. That and this light weighs a ton loaded. The bulb is nothing to write home about, but apparently they're .5 watt and will run for ages on 6 C cells so I went to searching for some C to AA adapters. Ebay had what I was after and I ended up installing 6 2600mah AA's in it. The difference is amazing, the light is feather light now. I tried swapping a pair of AA's into her old 2 D cell MAG but its :fail:. It won't work unless I get something to bridge the big gap in the tail spring (AA's drop out and fall onto the backup bulb).

I already have my bid in on a budget shower head drop in for the C mag, and I keep it by the bedside now just in case. I've handed it to a few people and they're all shocked at how light it feels. I bet I could shave a few more ounces going to Energizer Lithium batteries as they weigh virtually nothing :devil: