Make your own Quark AA2 red filter!

luisdent

Newly Enlightened
For anyone wanting a red filter for the quark AA/AA2 models, I thought I would share my custom solution...

Buy a Mini Maglite accessory kit. This comes with a set of colored lenses, lens holder, clip and lanyard. Toss everything in the trash except the lenses. Ha. (seriously though :p)

The lens holder is too big for the Quark body without modification, so I found something that fits inside well enough to provide very good tightness; a soft plastic zip tie cut to fit around the light one time.

Plusses:
- Fairly cheap. $5 to $7 dollars
- Very good red filtering at all angles with zero (0) light spill or discoloration
- Stays on well, even when shaken firmly

Minuses:
- Some poor Maglite somewhere is missing an accessory pack :p

I tried a few small rubber o-rings/washers that were 'so' close, but it would require a ring with 'just' enough thickness. The first ring I tried was too big, even when desperately trying to squeeze it in. The next was too thin, simply not holding on the lens holder. The plastic zip tie works incredibly well. It keeps the lens holder very snug, and the red lens stays in snug as well.

There is no light spill from the holder at all and, the filter is pure red throughout.

I'd post photos, but I can't seem to find the options. Perhaps I'm too new?

Anyhow, I would recommend anyone looking for a filter simply buy the Mini Maglite accessory pack. I'm sure you will find something to fit snugly in the lens holder to keep it on the light body. My next plan is to tape around the clear lens that comes in the kit with frosted scotch tape to make a diffuser. :)

Last edited: