Quark low/high voltage heads - differences running on one rcr123

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about building a neutral white xpg r4 single rcr123 quark.

I already have a 123/2 nw quark and it has the 3-9v head. I could just get the 123 body for this light, but I'm concerned about how long this head could run in regulation on a single rcr.

Would it be a better idea to build another light using a .9-4.2v head to run a single rcr? How much longer do you think the low voltage head would run in regulation?

Thanks

Last edited:

shark_za

Enlightened
I don't know what you mean by safely in regulation?

The high voltage head will drop out of regulation pretty quickly and give you diminishing brightness for warning while the low voltage head will drive flat out till it hits the protection or damages the cell.

I run a high voltage head with unprotected 18650's I salvaged from a battery pack and I can see when they need to be charged.
Put a 3v CR123 into the light to see how dim it is as a guide.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should do about 30-40 minutes on max with a rechargeable cell.

It works ok with a normal cr123, but is no where near as bright (nice option in an emergency though)

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys!

So since the high voltage head would run out of regulation quickly on a rcr, probably like 10 minutes?

It would be better to do a single rcr setup with a low voltage head and get 30-40 minutes of full output.

Man it's going to be a costly little light. I'm going to have to purchase a AA 2 tactical in neutral white along with a 123 spare body.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses guys!

So since the high voltage head would run out of regulation quickly on a rcr, probably like 10 minutes?

It would be better to do a single rcr setup with a low voltage head and get 30-40 minutes of full output.

Man it's going to be a costly little light. I'm going to have to purchase a AA 2 tactical in neutral white along with a 123 spare body.

It depends on your usage. Really, 200+ lumens is more than you're likely to need. If you usually use it on the lowish levels, the high-voltage head will be dimmer, but run for a long long time. That one's a buck circuit, so it goes into direct drive when the battery voltage is below the LED Vf. Basically, it'll run through the last half of the battery very slowly. If you really want full regulated runtime, you won't be happy. If you want photons for a long time, you'll probably like it.