I don't understand the LX2's lanyard

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
I've EDC'd my LX2 for about two months - I love it - but I pulled the lanyard off after only a couple days because it got in the way in my pocket, in my hand, and in trying to activate constant-on.

I don't understand its design or intended use. It is a poor wrist-strap because it's about three times too long, yet it's also poor neck-strap, because of the two adjustable plastic clips that prevent it from actually fitting over your head-- I'm really puzzled to why anyone would want to subdivide a lanyard into three sectioned loops, anyway.

Was I misusing it, or did SureFire take a day off?

(the rest of the light is brilliant, though. I do wish it were floodier-- my f04 is finally coming in the mail!)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will really like the LX2 with the F04--it is really nice. I personally don't ever use the SF lanyards much. If it do, it's simply to attach it to my wrist. It seems to work okay like that.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use the lanyards when there is a chance that the light will get lost, ie. open field with long grass, over a cliff etc etc.

As for not being able to fit it over your head... it's quite easy :thinking:

Harry999

Enlightened
grumbler,

If you push both plastic clips to the lanyard end closest to the tail cap you should be able to fit it over your head.

It actually works quite well as a wrist lanyard because you can have one plastic clip at the end of the cord - slip your hand in and then pull the other plastic clip until it contacts your wrist. Now it should be quite secure.

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
grumbler,

It actually works quite well as a wrist lanyard because you can have one plastic clip at the end of the cord - slip your hand in and then pull the other plastic clip until it contacts your wrist. Now it should be quite secure.

AH-HA, that's it, isn't it? The dual clips were puzzling, but I get it now: compared to a single clip, two clips allow securing the wrist at not only the ends of the lanyard, but at every position in between. The "functional length", ie the portion of lanyard connecting wrist to flashlight, is therefore infinitely adjustable up to the lanyard's full length. And it can also be used as a neck strap. That's actually pretty clever!

I'm still not gonna use it, though. :D

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
If its the same lanyard that ships with the G2Z, it stinks and I don't like it. The clip that attaches to the metal retaining ring slips off at seeming random times. Almost lost my G2 while taking it out of my pocket using the lanyard. The plastic clips get caught on stuff and get in the way like thats what they were made to do. They also slip, but thats just probably a compromise between adjustability and security.

I removed the alligator clip and the plastic clips. Now the split ring keeps the thing on the retaining ring. Knots are better and don't interfere as much, you also adjust them with just a little more effort. The lanyard is much better now.

What kind of material is the F04 made of? I'm really reluctant to get another defuser after my Olight red filter got scratched up after just a few times.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I don't understand its design or intended use. It is a poor wrist-strap because it's about three times too long, yet it's also poor neck-strap, because of the two adjustable plastic clips that prevent it from actually fitting over your head-- I'm really puzzled to why anyone would want to subdivide a lanyard into three sectioned loops, anyway.

You do realize that the adjustable plastic clips are in fact... adjustable?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do a little research you will find that the clips are there to allow you wrap the lanyard around tree branches or other objects and clip the lights in various hanging positions.

Check out this site - many ways to use the Surefire lanyards.

http://www.lampifix.com/

l2icel3all

Newly Enlightened
I actually find a ton of use for the LX2's lanyard. I've actually shortened it to my liking and its perfect for hands free use. You'll notice in my pics I do not have my hands closed to secure the flashlight but it is actually held in place with the lanyard. If you were using this in conjunction with a firearm you can actually reload a firearm, rack the slide, or and not limited to malfunctions that may occur. The fasteners on the end also slide off with great force incase the flashlight gets stuck somewhere and I need a quick escape or If I had to use it to defend my self and an attacker grabbed my flashlight it either the black fasteners would slide off of the paracord or the metal loop connecting the lanyard to the hook/loop would split open with enough force.

4jss2x.jpg

2afcz69.jpg

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
red02 said:
The clip that attaches to the metal retaining ring slips off at seeming random times. The plastic clips get caught on stuff and get in the way like thats what they were made to do.

Thankfully I don't have the slipping problem, but I have noticed that the clips catch stuff. I had played with the idea that they were there as adjustable places to grip the lanyard.

You do realize that the adjustable plastic clips are in fact... adjustable?

Yes, but when adjusted to a good wrist-strap length, there's an annoying remaining "tail" of extra strap that can't be adjusted away. My issue was with the length of the lanyard, which is fixed.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond said:
If you do a little research you will find that the clips are there to....

I did a bunch of google and CPF searches, I scoured the SF website, and I couldn't find anything before making this post. In fact, the top google hit for "use lx2 lanyard" is this thread (or at least for me it is. it's possible that my results favor CPF links because google tracks how often i click them, but i'd rather not clear cookies).

That website was exactly what I was looking for. Why doesn't Surefire publish this information? The head and belt configurations are brilliant in a real "why didn't I think of that?!" sort of way. I definitely have a new appreciation for the lanyard and its two clips.

Edit: I notice that the Lampifix lanyard has a single clip; what is the advantage of SureFire's two clips? And thanks again for the link. This is going to change the way I use this light!

@l2icel3all,

That's very interesting-- thanks for the pictures! It's cool to see how differently everyone uses these tools. I don't own a firearm (I bought this civilian model SF for more mundane uses), but neat info.

I assume you're left handed and use the Harries (back of hands touching) grip? If you're right handed, then the light would illuminate the floor, not your target :D

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That breakaway lanyard design has been around for a long time. When I got my SureFire L1 Cree, it was the first thing to go.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
It had always puzzled me too, why there were two plastic things and why it was so long. But this thread is enlightening. But indeed, I probably will not use the lanyard.

l2icel3all

Newly Enlightened
@l2icel3all,

That's very interesting-- thanks for the pictures! It's cool to see how differently everyone uses these tools. I don't own a firearm (I bought this civilian model SF for more mundane uses), but neat info.

I assume you're left handed and use the Harries (back of hands touching) grip? If you're right handed, then the light would illuminate the floor, not your target :D

Yeah I'm left handed. But I can shoot with my right hand as well. I can do harries along with the FBI Modified technique as well. The lanyard is also cut so that when I have the flashlight in my front pocket the lanyard serves as a way for me to pull out the light faster than it would be if I were to reach deep into my pocket or using my index finger and thumb to grab the tailcap and pull out. Its much like a lanyard on pocket knives and how they sometimes can shorten the time from pocket to presentation.

Vesper

Enlightened
I took off the plastic break-away ring and replaced it with a big fat grippy o-ring. A spinning ring on the twisty is just a plain goofy idea IMO.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire lanyards are my favourite design!

i guess it helps that i got an early G2Z which had a little slip of paper explaining the proper use of the lanyard and cigar grip.

the lanyard makes sense cos you can use it both as a neck lanyard, and also you can adjust it for use as a wrist lanyard.

you just move the beads around :)

Crenshaw

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I use mine as a dummy cord so I do not lose it. I had a near-loss with my 6PN and from that day forward I tether my lights to my bags no matter what!