Need help deciding on a Javelin light

jacknife

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy a Javelin light, When I look at Flashlightconnection I see 2 listed .. one is The Javelin 3swc ( cool tint) and one is the Javelin 3S XpG R5 as I read through the 3wsc,, it seems as thought with options the 3wsc, can be made brighter than the -- Javelin 3s XPG R5,---if I add the same options, Smooth reflector and AA extender will the 3S XPG R5 attain the same lux as the 3swc says it will 10,000 lux? can anyone explain ? Thanks,, I am looking for best throw and good spill.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two cool white dropins for the Javelin from Dereelight, the XPG-R5 and the XRE-R2. The difference will be the same as for other flashlights :

- the XP-G emitter has a larger emitting surface, thus less surface brightness and less throw, but a bigger hotspot and more overall output - LUMEN

- the XR-E emitter has a smaller die, thus more surface brightness which will result in more throw - LUX. The overall output (LUMEN) is less

As you have now also 2 different reflectors to choose from, the choice will be more difficult as SMO always means more throw but a less homogenous beam and probably artefacts (Cree rings, donut...) and OP means a more homogenous beam, but less throw. You are looking for BEST throw and GOOD spill, which is impossible to say it straight...

- SMO with XR-E --> best throw, least spill, most artefacts
- OP with XR-E --> less throw, more homogenous beam, still artefacts possible
- SMO with XP-G --> bigger hotspot, good throw, maybe artefacts
- OP with XP-G --> least throw, most homogenous beam, no artefacts

I only know the last one for sure as I have it, my brightest AA light, I use it with the extender (3xAA), very impressive for sure!

I guess you should take either the XR-E with OP or the XP-G with SMO. No idea which one has more throw and the best beam though, for me both are obsolete, I took the XP-G with OP as I like bright and homogenous beams, I have a DBS XP-G and an SST-50 with SMO if I need throw. The XR-E with SMO will surely be a good thrower as well, but also have some weird beam artefacts for sure and probably lack some spill... :shrug:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would have to argue this a little.

SMO with XP-G will give the most artefacts IMO. SMO with XR-E will give the most throw with still decent beam (but of course less flood). As you said, you really can't have both lots of throw and lots of flood. One needs to decide which is priority. You could just buy both pills and both reflectors and change them around for different situations.

jacknife

Newly Enlightened
so I could buy a javelin light with an op , smo,-- XRE and an XPG R5 and change them when ever I want to YES ?? Where can I buy the javelin are there a few places??

CaliColin

Newly Enlightened
There are two cool white dropins for the Javelin from Dereelight, the XPG-R5 and the XRE-R2. The difference will be the same as for other flashlights :

- the XP-G emitter has a larger emitting surface, thus less surface brightness and less throw, but a bigger hotspot and more overall output - LUMEN

- the XR-E emitter has a smaller die, thus more surface brightness which will result in more throw - LUX. The overall output (LUMEN) is less

This post helped me greatly and is accurate with what I had experienced "the hard way" with regard to XR-E vs. XP-G. I wanted more throw and went with an XP-G because there were more lumens. Mistake. Should have gone with XR-E. More lux is what I was looking for. Live and learn.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
This post helped me greatly and is accurate with what I had experienced "the hard way" with regard to XR-E vs. XP-G. I wanted more throw and went with an XP-G because there were more lumens. Mistake. Should have gone with XR-E. More lux is what I was looking for. Live and learn.

Atleast with the Javelin, you can always get another pill instead of purchasing a whole new light. Warning...The XPG reflector does NOT fit the XRE pill unless you bore it out. Also the possibility of the reflector bottoming out. Luckily I ordered the XRE SMO reflector before they took it off the Dereelight website.

jacknife

Newly Enlightened
Thanks this is helping me out alot, I have heard though that you cannot get a SMO for the XP-G only OP,,, but you can get OP And SMO for the XR-E

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
Thanks this is helping me out alot, I have heard though that you cannot get a SMO for the XP-G only OP,,, but you can get OP And SMO for the XR-E

Interesting...3 weeks ago i decided to swap the dereelight brand XRE SMO reflector onto the their XPG pill and it fit/worked. I did notice very little improvent in the throw although it's not significant. Also it created artifacts in the hotspot and emitted some rings(only seen at a few meters). In conlusion, the OP reflector is better suited for the XPG IMO.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I could buy a javelin light with an op , smo,-- XRE and an XPG R5 and change them when ever I want to YES ?? Where can I buy the javelin are there a few places??

Yes, if you buy various reflectors and pills, you can swap. But as mentioned, the XPG reflector won't fit the XRE pill. The XRE reflector will fit the XPG pill, but may not result in the same beam as using an XPG reflector. Honestly, I don't like SMO reflectors as I prefer a smoother beam profile. OP reflectors still give enough throw for my purposes, and the P60-size reflector is a good size to offer a good compromise between throw and spill with a OP surface.

For where, Jay at flashnightconnection.com is an excellent person to deal with.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not recall the light, but I do know that it is possible for a smooth reflector equipped XP-G light to have less lux/throw than one with an OP reflector. This may be the case with the Javelin.