Rifle Light - G2

glock19ftw

Newly Enlightened
I have a 5 year old G2 incand and I am thinking about putting it in a Vtac or VLTOR mount for my AR. Which Malkoff drop in would you guys recommend? I use the rifle for my job (police officer in a big city). Typically, when we deploy our rifles they are used in 25-75 yard situations. We rarely use rifles to clear buildings. My main concern is for the drop-in to have some decent throw. In addition, do I need to change out anything else on the flashlight due to recoil? Thanks, I am new to CPF so bear with me.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
First Off, :welcome: Glock! Just grab a Malkoff M60 and a metal bezel (Z44) for your G2 off the Market Place. The High-Out put Malkoffs are preffered to be ran in all metal bodies, but if all you have is a nitrolon Body/metal bezel it should be fine for short time periods (15-30 minutes). But, then again, you can get a 6P body for about the same cost of the metal bezel. The Malkoff's should hold up to .223/5.56mm recoil just fine. It's when you get into the boom-sticks you really got to start worrying about recoil.

Hope this helps!

glock19ftw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply...and say I just ran the malkoff dropin in a g2 nitrolon without changing to a metal bezel.....what would happen?

jellydonut

Enlightened
If you leave it on it would overheat - however, it's a weapon light, not a handheld, so it's not like you would be using it continuously. Also, I am unfamiliar with the Surefires, but the G2 has a momentary tail switch, doesn't it? That way there's a lesser likelihood of accidentally leaving it on.

http://www.oveready.com/led-light-engines/malkoff-m60-single-level-drop-in-3-8-9-0v-/prod_55.html

Please Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for tactical usage similar to the original setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone except Oveready specify a duration of time where the Malkoff brass modules are safe to use in plastic lights, so I guess we could go by this.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene stated himslef that the low (M60L) and low/low (M60LL) could be safely ran in light's with nitrolon bezels, but that the full powered ones (M60s) should not be. Of course, I'm on the same thought process as Overready, in that you should be fine for approx. 15 minutes in a nitrolon body/nitrolon bezel. Wouldn't run it much longer than that though.

Last edited:

glock19ftw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! You made my decision easy - I am going to purchase the M60 from Oveready and take my chance that I am never going to use it in more than few second short bursts as a weapon light so overheating wont be an issue.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I have a spare aluminum bezel, if that would help. I was just using it to store a P91, but you seem to be able to put it to better use than I am. It is brand new, but I had to remove and replace the lens because it was installed crooked. If black is ok, let me know and you can have it.

glock19ftw

Newly Enlightened
^I am interested in the bezel...
Edit: Seems that you cant receive PM's or I can't send them since I am new...so how do we do this? Do u have a different username? I know you did'nt register to reply to my thread lol

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
^I am interested in the bezel...
Edit: Seems that you cant receive PM's or I can't send them since I am new...so how do we do this? Do u have a different username? I know you did'nt register to reply to my thread lol

I think it is my fault... I have less that three posts. I have been a reader/Surefire junkie for quite a while and finally got around to signing up! (I blame CPF for my recent Malkoff addiction... three dropins and a VME head in two weeks! Yikes!) I will do my best to contribute to some threads and then you can PM me. The bezel really is just taking up space, so you can have it for free.