What's the story behind the SRTH turbohead?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know? I have been a big SRTH fan all these years but so little information is available about it.

We last discussed the issue literally six years ago. I bought mine with MN16 lamp about the same and have always treasured it. A couple of years later I picked up a new-old-stock D3 Defender (before Defender implied sharp bezels - mine has a nice flat bezel indistinguishable from today's C2/C3) to go with it.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/59575

I'd like to continue the conversation if anybody else has any more information. At one time in that thread, we theorized it might be old stock, however the surprise is that LPS Tactical continues to sell the SRTH thru till today - of course however, I note the price has gone up significantly compared to what I paid for it :D the rest of the webpage remains however, the same as the day I bought mine. Some things do stay the same. :)

That means either they have thousands of them sitting around in a warehouse since six years ago, or SF still makes them - but has never featured them as a product on their official website.

I still recommend this semi-rare turbohead to incan fans. I owned a KT1 with MN15 lamp at one point of time, and vastly prefer the SRTH. The MN16 is my preferred way to fly, oval hotspot or not. Thinking of getting an XP-G tower for it in the near future :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, you might ask - what are the advantages. The SRTH has a smaller profile and carries around far less excess weight in the form of aluminium. Its reflector cone is much smaller, lower profile, and has all that excess metal all milled off compared to the KT1/KT2.

The lens is Lexan instead of Pyrex, but contrary to my greatest fear when I first bought the SRTH, it does not scratch easily. I was thinking of the lens of another light popular amongst non-flashaholics whose lens scratched very easily, but SF multicoated the Lexan lens with a protective coating very similar to that of eyeglasses. A tiny flaw in the corner of the coating of my SRTH gives away its presence. Regardless my fears of scratching have not come true so I am very happy :)

Fits all Surefire C/P series lights so feel free to buy one and experiment.