NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: Anecdotal Review: TF R5-A3

Default Anecdotal Review: TF R5-A3

Hello all,

Being a pinball machine repair technician, working in the darkened areas under playfields, I use a "good quality" flashlight as one of my most valuable tools.

Thought very useful, I just can't get myself to use my precious NC D10 for such a purpose.

So, I bought a TF R5-A3 from DD. I've had the FL for about a month now and have a story to tell about this little LED light.

First off, I had to get the FL from the PO. So, I used the opportunity to test the clip - FAIL. The clip was too weak to keep the FL inside my pants pocket as I fished out my keys.

As per operation, as others have pointed out, there isn't much difference between "HI" and "LO". But, on the bright side, the beam is more intense than the one from my D10. Bright side ... get it? An interesting note, as others have also already pointed out, the GITD ring near the reflector makes for an interesting effect.

Anyway, back to the review. After only a few minutes the TF R5-A3 seems to get hotter than my D10. So, I can't trust all of the heat near, or in contact with, the insulation of the old wires.

I have concluded that I will try another LED FL and let you CPF'ers know what I think.

Later,
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

Default Re: Anecdotal Review: TF R5-A3

Hello all,

The same day I brought home my TF R5-A3, I purchased a Small Sun ZY-575 off of eBay.

I suppose that I ordered the ZY-575 because it looks like a little brother to mt JB Jet1Pro V3.

But, the ZY-575 can't stand up to its big brother; not that I believed it would. The light is about as bright as a NC D10 on medium, but with a cooler tint.

That brightness was only due to the fact that I tightened up everything in the head.

My new little LED FL does not get hot to the touch. Too much heat was one of my concerns about the R5-A3. And, the light output is plenty enough for me to get the job done under darkened pinball playfields.

All in all, other than a forward clicky, I couldn't ask for much more.

Later,

When would people learn to give a proper definition of what they are talking about instead of typing in abbreviations? What is "I bought a TF R5-A3 from DD."? What exactly is TF and who is DD? And what is "I had to get the FL from the PO." and "precious NC D10 for such a purpose."?

If you are going to write a review for everyone to read then for goodness sake write it in full so everyone understands you perfectly. There won't be a need to second guess what you are talking about. If you are only writing for people in the know (obviously since the rest, beginners and newbies especially, won't know what is a TF R5-A3 and NC D-10) then you could save it since they already knew.

Do you think I am making sense here?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

You make some good points piandyho,

Maybe our group could us an official Acronyms/Glossary list.

Later,

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    When would people learn to give a proper definition of what they are talking about instead of typing in abbreviations? What is "I bought a TF R5-A3 from DD."? What exactly is TF and who is DD? And what is "I had to get the FL from the PO." and "precious NC D10 for such a purpose."?

If you are going to write a review for everyone to read then for goodness sake write it in full so everyone understands you perfectly. There won't be a need to second guess what you are talking about. If you are only writing for people in the know (obviously since the rest, beginners and newbies especially, won't know what is a TF R5-A3 and NC D-10) then you could save it since they already knew.

Do you think I am making sense here?
    +1

When I read the OP I thought, "What the heck is a TF R5-A3? Where is DD?" I knew what a NC D10 is, though. To the uninitiated, this would be nothing more than gibberish. It's like me saying that I love my SF L2. Do I mean "SureFire L2" or "Solarforce L2"? Stick with spelling the words out so that 99% of the people reading your post can at least try to understand it without having to guess or know beforehand what a TF is and you won't get responses asking, "What's a TF R5-A3" and "Where's DD?"