FEELER: gold plated battery contact springs

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi all, I can't seem to find any decent battery springs, let along gold plated ones. I'm building some custom lights and could use a good generic spring. I need them gold plated for conductivity, but more important, to resist corrosion.

Dimensions wise I was thinking 3/8 OD by 1/2" long. Conical compression. Flat bottom. Pretty soft so you can compress them a lot. I'm trying to get a spring that will work in a variety of applications where I can use the spring to "take up some slack" if I'm going to be building a variety of lights.

Here is a sample. My second ever light. I'll post more pics in its own thread.

bp%20w%20saw.jpg

If anyone knows a source, let me know. If not (and this is very preliminary) I was thinking about having some beryllium copper springs custom made and then gold plated. Would anyone be interested in buying small quantities of springs? I'm guessing I'll have to buy at least several hundred.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I need them gold plated for conductivity ...

Neither McGizmo nor Cool Fall uses gold plating for battery contacts or springs, and both those makers use the best of the best available components. I believe both my PD-S & Sundrop use a solder contact for the positive battery connection. These lights are carried & used five days a week, 52 weeks per year, and have no issues. The Spy 007 leads a more gentle life, but again has had zero problems.

... but more important, to resist corrosion.
As long as the light is well sealed with O-rings, corrosion should not be a concern.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I can't seem to find any decent battery springs, let along gold plated ones. I'm building some custom lights and could use a good generic spring. I need them gold plated for conductivity, but more important, to resist corrosion.

Dimensions wise I was thinking 3/8 OD by 1/2" long. Conical compression. Flat bottom. Pretty soft so you can compress them a lot. I'm trying to get a spring that will work in a variety of applications where I can use the spring to "take up some slack" if I'm going to be building a variety of lights.

If anyone knows a source, let me know. If not (and this is very preliminary) I was thinking about having some beryllium copper springs custom made and then gold plated. Would anyone be interested in buying small quantities of springs? I'm guessing I'll have to buy at least several hundred.

My suggestion is to ask Lee Spring. I use their silver coated beryllium battery springs. Very high quality. I don't know if they have the exact size you are looking for in the BC but they can probably do them for you. The stock springs will be close to that however.

Last edited: