Cleaning GOOF from reflector (FM bi-focal clouded w halogen)

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tragically, a WA1164 envelope failed, gasses momentarily very bright, quickly cooled coating bi-focal reflector. This was a seasoned bulb with a run-down 8AA pack. I had the light on for ~4minutes, it seems the bottom post of the bi-pin adapter had collapsed into the holder, the high-temp plastic now sticking out the top pushed the bulb out, sideways enough to contact the side of the bulb envelope reflector. :poof:
How do I clean the reflector? Alcohol bath? I haven't touched the surface, but it's all covered whatever cools from the gasses (tungsten?).

Thanx,
Ryan

- has anyone had their brass bi-pin adapter flatten on the bottom? It was in a resistance modded m@g switch. I suppose should put this in a separate post.

Last edited:

someuser

Newly Enlightened
Re: Cleaning POOF from reflector (FM bi-focal clouded w halogen)

Linger,

I feel for you about the :poof: in you bi focal reflector. I can't remember exactly what Lux got to clean his reflectors. I remember it was something like those cloth you get with you glasses. A quick check on google on reflector cleaning will pop it out. He also swears by 100% menthol on his windows and reflectors too. Which I have been not able to find any menthol around. (Lux if you are reading this, where do you get your menthol?:thinking:)

Also others have mentioned that just with running cool water and with "clean" hands brush off the oxide. Every time I touch the reflectors I screw it up a little bit more. Personally I would not touch the reflector in anyway. I will just pour distilled water on the reflector to clean it. :sign: I feel that I have learned that the hard way.

The stuff on your reflector is tungsten oxide, check out the thread on the "race to failure" about why bulbs goes poof. I personally find the tread to be very informing about the different oxides of tungsten.

See it this way, at lease you didn't :poof: inside a KT4 head. :grin2: $50 is not as bad as losing $150. Fivemega will be more then glad to sell you another of his awesome creations.:D

I bet you that other more experienced member will ring in very soon.:popcorn:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Tragically, a WA1164 envelope failed, gasses momentarily very bright, quickly cooled coating bi-focal reflector. This was a seasoned bulb with a run-down 8AA pack. I had the light on for ~4minutes, it seems the bottom post of the bi-pin adapter had collapsed into the holder, the high-temp plastic now sticking out the top pushed the bulb out, sideways enough to contact the side of the bulb envelope reflector. :poof:
How do I clean the reflector? Alcohol bath? I haven't touched the surface, but it's all covered whatever cools from the gasses (tungsten?).

Thanx,
Ryan

- has anyone had their brass bi-pin adapter flatten on the bottom? It was in a resistance modded m@g switch. I suppose should put this in a separate post.

I have had this exact thing happen a couple of times. I tried rinsing with water, dishwashing soap applied directly and rinsed, alcohol, acetone, Windex, etc., and none of them worked.

Having given up on the reflector, I thought I might as well try one last thing which no one had previously mentioned. I had total success with absolutely no scratching of the SMO reflector using one of those SHINY type polishing/cleaning cloths that come in some sunglasses. The brand I had is "Micro Cair" which is at this URL.

They guarantee it not to scratch glasses, which is why I tried it. Afterwards, I tested it by wiping several of my SMO reflectors to verify that it did not scratch them. I suppose if you had a bulb explosion that impregnated glass/metal particles into the reflector, those pieces may scratch if rubbed around with cloth, but this really worked well.

I have used FM's bipin adapters for years, and never had the bottom peg flatten.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

100% methanol is great for cleaning optics-but as mentioned, it can be hard to get. It won't leave any particulates behind on the lens like most solutions will, and isn't likely to damage any sensitive coatings. I used methanol to clean a very sensitive laser lens assembly in the summer, it worked just fine and didn't damage the AR coatings at all. BTW, I'm not sure how easy it is for private citizens to buy methanol. You would probably have to buy from someone on a chemical forum.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

100% methanol is great for cleaning optics-but as mentioned, it can be hard to get. It won't leave any particulates behind on the lens like most solutions will, and isn't likely to damage any sensitive coatings. I used methanol to clean a very sensitive laser lens assembly in the summer, it worked just fine and didn't damage the AR coatings at all. BTW, I'm not sure how easy it is for private citizens to buy methanol. You would probably have to buy from someone on a chemical forum.

I had and tried methanol. Didn't work either. I didn't mention it because it is hard to get. Only the cloth I mentioned worked without damaging SMO surface.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had and tried methanol. Didn't work either. I didn't mention it because it is hard to get. Only the cloth I mentioned worked without damaging SMO surface.

Interesting. I wonder why that is.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Interesting. I wonder why that is.

If you mean why methanol didn't work, it has to be a case of not being soluable in any of the things I tried. If you mean the shiny cloth, in retrospect any direct contact tissue/lens would have removed it, but this cloth is the only thing with a shiny enough of a (microfiber) surface I have found that doesn't scratch the SMO coating. I didn't need to apply much pressure to remove the exploded bulb coating, as it was not bonded to the reflector. There were a few glass impact pit marks, but overall the reflector was restored to 99% of what it had been.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thanks:
Thank-you

I've swapped in an FM 2" Deep reflector I had spare. I do like the bi-focal though. Now I'll be wishing I had liquid glass to apply as a stain guard for the next one.

:thanks:
I'll post back after cleaning tomorrow.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Re: Cleaning POOP from reflector (FM bi-focal clouded w halogen)

Ive wiped mine down with a micro fiber cloth before with no scratches, however this was on an orange peel instead of a smooth, I dont know if it would scratch a SMO or not. :thinking:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Methyl Hydrate sufficient? I've got a liter of %99 pure.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

**Update**
Thank-you one and all. I ran it under water to remove the glass. I used an Oakley branded sunglass polishing cloth, it took some time to completely remove the gas clouding. Reflector has minor shrapnel damage otherwise successfully restored. The surface reflection is perfect, no streaks or scratches. Looking in there, seeing me looking back out, well, it's just beautiful. :(

someuser - I've read 'the race to failure,' it got me onto hotwire's before I owned one.

Lux, wyager, mr. Artillery - Thank-you for the guidance.