A small amount of "black gunk" in the tubes.

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
A small amount of \"black gunk\" in the tubes.

Being a 53 year old new flashlght collector, I sometimes feel like I post things which I'VE discovered, but actually is "old news" to most of you.
However, one very experienced fellow didn't know this so I'll leave a post. I have a Surefire E1e+KL4 bezel and Arc LSH-P in my little collection. I also purchased an E2e "tube" so I could try the light on TWO #123 lithiums. I decided to switch to the E2 tube when the single 123 lithium showed signs of running out of power. (Incredibly, even with the KL4 bezel, the E1e battery shows NO signs of running out of power and I use it every day.) Anyway, I cleaned all three tubes when they were deivered. They shined on the inside. Incredibly, a very disappointing thing happened with my E1e about a week and a half after I purchased it. I turned it on and it was bright for about two seconds, then flickered and went dim. I took it apart to check things and found a *small amount of greasy black gunk on the battery terminals and on the walls and terminals of the light. I've thought about this and decided it's aluminum oxidation. Probably due to the current of the 123 battery. I cleaned it up with a tissue and PRESTO~ the light went back to being as bright as ever. I also found the same "stuff" in my LSH-P. I think a good wiping out with a clean tissue will be a regular thing from now on. What do you guys think? Am I correct regarding the black stuff being aluminum oxidation?

Thanks,
Will

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A small amount of

I'm guessing that it's the lube that was placed on the orings or threads. Probably whoever lubed it at the factory used a little too much. Just a guess though.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A small amount of

[ QUOTE ]
Kentucky Rifle said:
Unicorn~
I thought the very same thing. Only this stuff was black.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]
The lube will turn black as it picks up fine partials of aluminum from the threads. If you are using the Nye 759G the lube will not reduce the electrical contact but should improve it.