I want good throw and good flood at the same time - I have an idea

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anything like this exists. (skip to next paragraph for the idea) I like to go out in the yard and scan for deer, coyotes, skunks, etc. I need a lot of throw to see at least a couple hundred yards but my lights that can do this provide next to no light 50 yards away and nothing 50 feet away. To compensate, I use a thrower in one hand with a semi-thrower in the other hand and use it like an over/under shotgun (throwy light on top, semi throwy on bottom). That way I illuminate far and near. This leads me to an idea. I would love a light that could do all this in one.

The idea would be to have a large head using an SST-50 or triple XR-E with at least 35k lux. Embedded in that or under it would be a a single XR-E with about 10k Lux, and under that would be an XP-G with about 3k lux. Think of it as an Olight M31 or EagleTac M2XC4 with a dereelight Javelin under it and a Zebralight SC60 under that. If there were a creative way to package this all in one, I would buy it. I have no idea how to implement this in practice. Perhaps it is not practical or there is not demand. It would be the ultimate search light illuminating everything in its path from 50ft to 750ft:cool:.

Good idea or dumb idea?:confused: How could it be implemented? Perhaps I need to make my own custom light.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just having multiple LEDs set up? The tri-v kinda does that...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a light called No Hot Spot or something like that. It has both throw and flood. If Zebralight or any other light makers make this light in a pocket size (3.2 inches), I would gladly pay $100 for one. I would prefer it if Zebralight makes it due to their side switch and smart UI.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe if you can somehow get a Fenix TK45 apart and swap out a couple of the reflectors you could do something? I always thought a shortcoming was that the beam pattern was identical for all three heads.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a good quality p7 (not sure which one but some guy here was selling them 12 months ago and he told me it would work direct drive, it does, nice sunlight tint too :)) in my raidfire spear clone direct drive, it does exactly what you want, great throw and lots of spill.

*think bright car headlight, portable, with over an hour runtime, in a 18650 size host*

Last edited:

Watts Up!

Newly Enlightened
Maybe if you can somehow get a Fenix TK45 apart and swap out a couple of the reflectors you could do something? I always thought a shortcoming was that the beam pattern was identical for all three heads.

Yea imagine have a light with (3) TK45 heads around an SR90 head. Would give you a lot of (FLOW) Throw and Flood.:twothumbs

jellydonut

Enlightened
Yeah, it's been done.. It's a bit surprising that there's only one light out there that does it, and that the same light costs $2k. Surely someone should see the market gap here?:sssh:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point! :nana:
I was just pointing out that it had been done.

...and done VERY WELL!!! Believe me, if I had that kind of expendable income, I'd be ALL OVER one! They say that the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys; I have "man taste" with "boy income"...RARELY works out to my advantage :ohgeez:

PJD

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surely someone should see the market gap here?:sssh:

My thoughts exactly. Throw could even be controled by a selector ring or button that turns on or off the different LEDs. For example, if I only want flood, I switch it to the flood setting which turns off the throwy LED(s) in the big head and only uses an XP-G in a shallow reflector. What an advantage to control throw,flood, and brigntness. Imagine a light where brightness and thorow could both be controlled without the use of optics.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
ph40hand.jpg