Fenix MC10

computernut

Enlightened
A non-flashaholic friend wanted a new light and after doing some research he decided on a Fenix MC10. I was over at his place tonight and got to check it out in person. This thing is small! I wasn't too fond of the interface but it seemed like a pretty useful light, I might have to pick one up for camping next year.

Here is the MC10 beside an L1 for comparison: (clip-on diffuser installed)
1022115145_DsXNW-L.jpg

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was awfully tempted when these little things first came out... a pivoting L-bend head would be very versatile. I've been conflicted about buying one of these or a Zebralight headlamp. I like the pivoting head, but really dislike cool tint emitters. If they were to make one with a warm tint and 14500 compatibility I'd buy at least two.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was awfully tempted when these little things first came out... a pivoting L-bend head would be very versatile. I've been conflicted about buying one of these or a Zebralight headlamp. I like the pivoting head, but really dislike cool tint emitters. If they were to make one with a warm tint and 14500 compatibility I'd buy at least two.

+1
I feel exactly the same.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its a good little hands-free light. Great as a pack/molle attachment. Its strengths are more in its physical size, shape and design, not so much in its light output or color tint.
It draws 3A on high (110L), so alkaline AA batteries don't really do it justice. It needs NiMH cell to get the most out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuvoTX#p/u/4/Brr8OOLfLus

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually NiZn gives the little thing a big boost. Not only in brightness but the ability to tail stand and angle the head down. I've had troubles with that for a long time. I've even made my own foot to help it angle down. That is the one advantage over the zebralights but they didn't execute it very well in my case. Other people are much more successful. Infact, the black one I bought and gave away has no problems at all tail standing.

I've been carrying the MC-10 in my bag for a while now and it's certainly very versitile. I have the one with the Osram LED and it's whiter than the XP-E (or whatever they are using). There is a slight green tinge to it though. Only around the edge of the corona. No real big deal and not as noticeable as some XP-G R5's. It has pretty good throw too and the spill is nice and smooth with it's orange peel reflector.

Kindle

Enlightened
That is now by far my favorite pic of the MC-10. It reminds me of Luxo Jr (the Pixar lamp).

Thanks for posting that!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the one advantage over the zebralights but they didn't execute it very well in my case. Other people are much more successful.

+1

I can live without the 14500 compatibility but the tint is really what kills me... and if the new ones are greenish? Ugh.

C'mon Fenix... you guys listening? I'd even be happy with an XPE Q3/5A or Q4/5B emitter in it. I'll buy at least two like that (even though I know my wife would kill me, I'll justify it as being for emergency prep!).

madmook

Newly Enlightened
Mine has a slight greenish tint, too. As I've mostly moved on to warm tints (Quarks), I don't really use the MC10. I really like the UI and form factor, though.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has a slight greenish tint, too. As I've mostly moved on to warm tints (Quarks), I don't really use the MC10. I really like the UI and form factor, though.

+1

This light is a nice concept, but in its current form misses the mark. Already needs an update. I'm waiting for the ZL H51.