Thinking of getting a SF A2. Opinions?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I have miraculously convinced my wife that it's fine for me to get another flashlight! I want an incandescent light with decent output and throw to go with my Arc LSL, but I also like the idea of a light with two levels of output, and until the LS4 comes out, it seems that SL TT 2L or SF A2 would meet these criteria. Also, I understand that the A2 is a regulated output incandescent light, which just thrills me, because I hate the end of battery life yellowing phenomenon. I also like the "soft start" feature to help prolong the life of the bulb. I want this to be a small EDCable light.

So, cost no object, I assume that everyone would go for the A2, right? (or tell me to buy both). I'm interested in what people have to say about the SL TT 2L, but at the moment, I understand that the A2 has a better tighter brighter beam and that is enough for me expensive or no.

I'm interested to know any extra details about either light that would help me. I heard some noise about a longer pocket clip for the A2. What is that all about? Also, how EDCable is the A2? How well does it fit in the pocket or clip on the belt? Any info is appreciated! Thanks very much.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
js,
I have an A2 and I'll try to cover all of the pros and cons.

First, what I don't like:
1. It is a bit longer (~1 inch) than the standard E2e.
2. The head on it is not compatible with any of the other Surefires. Consequently, the heads from other Surefires will not fit, nor work with the A2.
3. The A2 is NOT mod friendly. You really can't do anything to it to make it better.
4. Relatively short runtime with incand. ~50 minutes. When batteries are too depleted the incand. just goes out without warning, but of course the LEDs do continue to work.
5. I have the old switch (I don't know what the difference is). From the momentary operation position, it is fine. Light press for the LED's and a heavier press for the incand. To go to constant on position from the momentary position for the LEDs you need to turn the switch about half a turn, then to go to constant on for the incand. it takes about one more turn. So, to lock it out, to avoid accidental activation of the LEDs it takes about two full turns from the constant on incand. position. This is just an observation.
6. Can't use Pila rechargebles. They won't fit.

What I like about the A2:
1. The regulation in the incand. is priceless. Full brightness for the full runtime with NO yellowing of the beam.
2. Brightness and throw. Although it is only rated at 50 lumens, I've found it to be overall brighter than my E2e and has better throw. Probably because of the regualtion. Non regulated lights on put out full output for a short time.
3. There no guessing about when to change the batteries. When they're dead, the incand. won't work, but there is still plenty of juice to use the LEDs in a pinch or for close up work.
4. As far as not be mod friendly, some may find this a draw back; however, I don't know what you'd want to do to this light, as a practical matter. It does what it does very well.

On an overall, I use the light with the LEDs for the most part. The LEDs work really well in places where only a little light is needed or in the complete dark. It will not blind you, but provides more than adequate light. When you need it though, the incand is there.

I must admit, when the A2 first became available, many flocked to get one and many of those that got one sold it. Personally, I really like mine. It really grew on me. I recently sent it out to a friend out of state so that he could check it out and run some tests on it. Although I currently have an E2e, E1e, Scorpion, PM6, E2e modded with P91, and various modded LED heads for the E's, I find myself missing the A2.

If you're considering the Twin Task, it's a nice light, but not in the same class as the Surefire A2. You may, however, be satisfied with the Twin Task. I like my A2 and have not regretted getting it for a moment.

As far as using the longer clip goes, people are referring to using an E2o clip. They're great. If you get any E series light, put an E2o clip on it. They are just plain easier to use and provide for a more secure carry.

I do carry mine when my mode of dress permits. I don't use a holster, I keep it in either my front or back pocket. I usually EDC an E1e with a modded KL1, but it isn't nearly as versatile as the A2. It's just smaller and easier to carry.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Relatively short runtime with incand. ~50 minutes. When batteries are too depleted the incand. just goes out without warning, but of course the LEDs do continue to work.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats why I don't like regulated lights. I want to choose when I change batteries, and I don't want the light to suddenly "quit" on me in a perhaps, indelicate situation.

The SL TTs longer run Xenon is a plus, it's bright enough for my needs. The quality of the light is flawless (as reported here a zillion times) so "not being in the same class" doesn't cut it.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is a much better light than the TT if the SL is flawless then there isn't a work to describe the quality of the A2. First the A2 gives you well over 50 minutes of light when being used intermittently and that light is much brighter and whiter than the TT light. It also does not just go out it goes into a much lower level which is still brighter than the LED's. The switching difference is night and day with the A2 you can have high or low instantly with the TT you have to take what ever is next, plus the button is very small and not easy to activate, with gloves it is almost imposable. The finish on my TT is all beat up and it never gets used, it sat in a bag a carry and got beat up by my other HA lights. If you say money is not in the equation then the A2 is the light to buy. IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop,

It's going back out to you right now as we speak. Just sent it priority. I realize the A2 is probably getting homesick by now so I finished what I needed to look at on it. BIG thanks go to Tony. Maybe I can improve on this light.

As far as the runtime drawback, I'm looking at something for that problem. Not a real easy solution that everyone can implement but if it works, it may be worth the trouble. I'll post more info if it is successful. Consider it a feasibility study--it may bomb or it may just work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop,

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I am not detered by any of the negatives, and like the positives. Also, this will be (if I get it) my first SureFire, and I really would like to experience the whole SF thing. I was considering an E2e, but I like the dual lighting and regulation of the A2.

Where and how can I get the E2o clip?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
js said:

Where and how can I get the E2o clip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call SF CS and ask them for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I personally don't care how much brighter for a much shorter time the A2 is against my TT 2L. The cost is enough to keep me VERY VERY happy with my SL.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I do own one SF, albeit a cheap G2. I have looked at others and considered them, but a very costly light for me starts just on the north of a c-note. And I have stuff that does the same job as most of the 2x123 stuff. So I save that c-note for 2 or 3 good CHEAP lights (until a modder makes what I want!).

I guess if money means nothing, grab an A2.

But a good, useful SL 2L TT can be had for around $30.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Surefire took the standard M2 clip, put it on the E2O and some now call it the E2O clip. When I recently called Surefire to order six M2 clips they knew what I meant.

My A2 gave me a very clear warning when it was reaching the end of regulation by starting to flicker. Turning it off momentarily and then on again enabled it to resume a regulated burn for a short period until it began flickering again. I was able to repeat this cycle three times. I disconnected the LEDs on my A2 because I really just wanted a regulated incandescent. By doing this I got another couple of minutes of runtime.

I had hoped that SF would produce an E2E sized regulated incandescent, but that wish is yet to be fulfilled. I'm intrigued by CM's experiments. I wonder what that fertile brain is cooking up........

Brightnorm

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
... I am not detered by any of the negatives, and like the positives. Also, this will be (if I get it) my first SureFire, and I really would like to experience the whole SF thing. I was considering an E2e, but I like the dual lighting and regulation of the A2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own an E2e and A2 and they are both great lights, but I will reach for my E2e over the A2 unless I really have a need for the lower output level. The E2e is smaller, brighter [assuming relatively fresh batts], has better throw, and is only about 1/2 the price of the A2.

Of course the standard CPF refrain would be: get both.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford it, I would recommend the A2.

If you want to compare the 2L and the A2...

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/streamlight_twintasks.htm

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/surefire_a2.htm

Respectfully to FlashlightOCD, by my Lux measurements (which are really a measurement of the brightest point of the beam which equates to "throw") the A2 easily beats the E2(e). ~2300 Lux vs. ~1500 Lux. The A2 is rated at fewer lumens than the E2(e), but the beam is tighter, resulting in better ability to light a target at a distance.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me see if I can say this right; I think the SF A2 is worth every dollar that you pay for it..

I just think the Twin-Tasks are worth several times what you pay for them.

I DO own a 6P, and a 9P SF. Nice lights.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
js,
My vote goes to the A2. I EDC a LSH-P, ARC AAA, & A2. You
know about ARCs & IMHO the A2 is the most useful Surefire.
I'm not sure the A2 is my favorite Surefire, but it is my
most used Surefire. I have other Surefires, but the reason
I EDC the A2 is because it complements my other EDC lights.
It gives me long runtimes with LEDs & throw with the
incandescent. I carry it in a belt pouch. My LSH-P gets the
most use (90% maybe) & AAA gets used more than A2.
BUY THE A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
PS: The brightness of the 3 LEDs seem to be closer to the
AAA than to the LSH-P. The incandescent seems to be about
twice as bright as the LSH-P. I hope this helps.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
Respectfully to FlashlightOCD, by my Lux measurements (which are really a measurement of the brightest point of the beam which equates to "throw") the A2 easily beats the E2(e). ~2300 Lux vs. ~1500 Lux. The A2 is rated at fewer lumens than the E2(e), but the beam is tighter, resulting in better ability to light a target at a distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken and I trust your Lux measurements, I was using non-scientific eyeball measurements on a neighbors shed. The E2e seems to illuminate the shed much better, but a shed is a pretty large target. Perhaps the A2 does have better throw with smaller hotspot as you say. I'll repeat my eyeball comparison test in the morning, aiming for a smaller more distant target.

It really does amaze me that the A2 has as good a throw as it does considering those three large holes in the reflector.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I was curious about whether or not the LED's on the A2 would still light if the incandescent burned out or broke. Took out the incandescent bulb and the LED's ran normally. As a matter of fact, the LED's had two different levels of output. Not as obvious as with the incandescent, but noticeable. Nice to know the A2 will still work without the bulb if necessary.
oldgrandpajack

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Thats why I don't like regulated lights. I want to choose when I change batteries, and I don't want the light to suddenly "quit" on me in a perhaps, indelicate situation.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be great if flashlight manufacturers come out with some sort of battery indicator, like those we commonly see on cell phones? Some even have an estimate of the runtime left before the battery gives up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I didn't mean to sound to hard on the TT I think it is worth every bit of $30 and has a place I just don't think it is in the same league as the A2, nor is it ment to be. He also said $ was not a factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

llvo

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif
A2...A2...A2...

If money is not a factor - A2
For me, I'm leaning towards TT2L...
or should I save the $ and wait for the A2? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Oh my goodness I start having some regrets that I own too many flashlights

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
js,
I understand that you are saying that cost is no object, but...if you keep an eye out on CPF, you may be able to pick one up from a fellow CPFer who no longer wants his. I got mine from a fellow CPFer at alot less than retail and it was like new. You could take the money you save and get the twin task too. Hey, I do like the Streamlight lights. They are worth every penny of their price. I just like the A2 better.

All of you A2 fans, stay tuned and see if CM can come up with something to give the A2 a boost in runtime.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
My choice goes to A2. I come to so many occassion that I need both low output and high output. Plus I don't have to carry more piece. E2e is great, but I get blinded too often when I'm doing close up work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif