E2 stopped lighting @ 5.4 volts, normal?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E2 stoped lighting at 5.4 volts from the 2 cr123's. Is that about normal for these lights? What are you guys doing with all of your half used 123's? Will a LED light such as the SF L4, SL TT lith, or the SL TL-2 LED or any other lithium LED light run on these 1/2 used 123's? And if so will the LED allow me to run these 123's down to almost no volts left, so that I can feel like I'm really using up the batteries and getting the most out of them? -Thanks in advance for any insight on this subject.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drain the 123 cells all the way in my Arc LSH-P. It can drain the last bit of juice from batteries that have stopped working in my parents cameras.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pi is blue - Thanks for the info, If you can do that in the Arc I would guess you could do the same in any LED light, right?

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
How did you measure the 5.4 Volts? Without any load?
The voltage is probably much lower with load on the batteries.

I usually use a LED light (KL1, Arc LS) to drain my 123s used in my SF M3.

Bjorn.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured the combined voltage of just the batteries (outside of the light & not under any load), but good point them most likely being lower under load.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
KartRacer31,

My E2 consistantly cuts out at about that voltage. Each battery that i have tested stops at around 2.7-2.8 volts. So 5.4V for both is about right with my observations.

I don't bother using the spent batteries from my E2 in any other light. I've used it once in my LSH-P and i couldn't get more than 30-35 minutes out of them before they drop into moon mode. It totally defeats the purpose of why i even bought the LSH-P, as a long burning EDC light.
I also hear that an Inova X5 using spent batteries doesn't have a very good runtime either.

As far as i know, flashlights that are not completely regulated, like the Arc LS, Surefire L4, and Streamlight LED lights, will still be able to use the spent batteries. However you will not be getting full brightness/Sun mode for very long. You will however have many more hours of decreasing light output. More light that your average 1-2 LED light.

I've observed that my Surefire L4, when out of regulation/sun mode, is a little more than half as bright as the Arc LS on fresh batteries. And after a couple of hours, is still as bright as my Princeton Tec Attitude (4LED) or Arc AAA (1 LED).

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDagent - Thanks, thats exactly the type of info I needed.
P.S. - I purchased the SL TL-2 LED, and it's great. On fresh batts it's awesome, and it can run down the old bats from my E2 in an emergency if I need extended moon mode type lighting. Thanks again to everyone who offered me some info. --