Modding Cat-EYE HL-NC200

COLD_fusion

Newly Enlightened
I have a set of these bike headlights, and wish to know if anyone has modded to cree or ssc LED??
cateyehlnc200.jpg]

ATM they have 2x 6v6w incad bulbs, and run off a 6v 3.3Ah sealed lead acid batt.

There is plenty of room to mount driver, heatsink and LED inside the bezel.

cheers

Last edited:

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
I have a set of these bike headlights, and wish to know if anyone has modded to cree or ssc LED??
cateyehlnc200.jpg]

ATM they have 2x 6v6w incad bulbs, and run off a 6v 3.3Ah sealed lead acid batt.

There is plenty of room to mount driver, heatsink and LED inside the bezel.

cheers
I have not modded these particular lamps but it looks like an mr16 size could work. Space inside is not the only concern, however. If the case is not made of metal then you have to find some other way to "pipe" the heat from the LEDs and driver through the case to ambient. Even if it is made of metal, you may have to add cooling fins to increase surface area. Look at all of the current models available to see what I mean. Use your imagination, think "art deco hood ornament". One important note: try to keep the led heatsink separate from any driver heatsink with a different path to ambient as the LEDs will easily generate more heat than the driver which is more sensitive to that heat. Cutter electronics of Australia is a good source for quality parts(light engines with matching optics) Sandwich Shoppe and Taskled for quality drivers(with that battery you'll probably need a boost driver) as well as Kaidomain and DX in China for cheaper diy parts along with lenghty shipping times. Have fun and do plenty of reading both here and mtbr.
Good luck,
Scott

COLD_fusion

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:, i'll post back when i have decided the design.

cheers;)

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there really any reason to use the reflector & optics? The housing is not especially useful, because you need to heatsink the LED(s). The reflectors and optics aren't especially useful because the LEDs radiate over a narrower angular range than the incandescent bulbs did.

I think you'd do best to start over with a simple aluminum housing with some molded optic such as those sold by Ledil or others....

You can still use the batteries, though. :grin2:

regards,

Steve K.