The Purificator II, 400w handheld Mag

mrQQ

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

year ago, I've started a thread about one of most powerful incan handheld Mags. I named it purificator. Some laughed about the name, but I think it suits - its so blinding, that it feels like its killing all the bacteria around.. :)

Anyway, I had some major reliability issues with it. What was failing was the custom built soft-starter switch built by amazing Jimmy. Reasons for that were numerous, Jimmy can tell more about them.

Anyway, it took close to a year to have it reborn.

And it does so with a bang.

Jimmy has built a completely new switch. Not only does it soft-start, but it's also regulated! It has 3 levels, 36v, 38v and 40v, for a subtle 11% overdrive. Though, to be frank, 36-40v difference is almost invisible. I'm almost sorry that I didn't go with a higher output..

Anyway, long story short:

Ele II body
12s holder
12 Konion US18650VT cells, 50v battery pack
Soft-start regulated high voltage switch
Custom ex-HID reflector with huuuuge hole
Low seated bulb for almost smooth hotspot, though talking about hotsposts makes no sense here.. :)
Osram 36v 400w 64663, 16k bulb lumens bulb driven @ 40v

Last time I got almost no attention to this flashlight, and I was told it was due to lack of shots.

I'm gonna take some this time as soon as it gets dark :)

edit:

some pics from previous thread:

bulb comparison:

DSC_1599.jpg

the Purificator next to L1D:

DSC_1606.jpg

the bulb inside D tube:

DSC_1607.jpg

cooling down:

DSC_1611.jpg

Last edited:

mrQQ

Enlightened
Yes, they are Sony/Konion green cells.

Indeed, the pack is dangerous. 50v @ 20A these cells can put out, is 1kW of bang..

mrQQ

Enlightened
But now that you mention it, you are right, safety is a very important part to discuss.

I know LuxLuthor will come here and will give a very good warning to me and all the other potential such light builders.

Here are the precautions I take:

1. All the necessary Li-ion cell handling.
2. I always read all the individual cells after charging. If the biggest difference is more than 0.02v it's a no-go.
3. I ready battery pack voltage after assembling it. I know what it's supposed to be after cell rest (49.8v). If it's not, it's a no go.
4. And this is most important: I do not screw on tail-cap. I know this effectively beats any "flashlight" practical use, but it doesn't have any anyway. I've considered many approaches, including drilling holes on tailcap/sides, but I decided not to. For one, they have to be big, and that's not nice. For another, I'd kill this amazing Ele body. For third, even with holes, in case something happens, I'm still with a very risky venting time-bomb. So what I do insted, is put in the battery pack, which stays comfortably tight. Then I use crocodile lead, to connect the negative terminal to the edge of the body. This way, I have a huge hole to vent out in case something happens, AND I have a easy and simple "kill" switch, by simply taking out the cable if needed. And the body is fine for all the other uses it gets.

mrQQ

Enlightened
Here come beamshots..

sorry, indoors for now...

and sorry for the messy room, I've tried to crop out most of it :)

Taken @ ISO 100, F/5.6, 1/3s, daylight WB.

This is P60 warm Q5 drop-in:

DSC_7165.jpg

This is P60 neutral MC-E drop-in:

DSC_7166.jpg

This is DX thrower style light, Q2 I think, which I have on sale:

DSC_7167.jpg

This is Tiablo A9 with aspherical head:

DSC_7168.jpg

This is KD 3xSSC light. Very nice btw!

DSC_7169.jpg

This is Mag aspherical, bought here, not sure who built it:

DSC_7170.jpg

This is Mag HID, built by Mac I think:

DSC_7171.jpg

This is Romisen RC-T6, 6x Q5 I think, very very nice!

DSC_7173.jpg

This is an amazing Mag5761 I bought on this forum:

DSC_7175.jpg

This is a very nice UltraFire 7x SSC u2 I have for sale on CPF MarketPlace:

DSC_7176.jpg

This is ElektroLumens 4x P7 Wall-Of-Fire that I also have for sale here. Mind you, at this point we're at three thousand (3000) worth of lumens light shining. Take that in mind for the next image:

DSC_7177.jpg

Here I wanted to add Mag623/Mag138 beamshot, but AW's Soft-Starter parasitic current has killed my Titanium 1800s (dumb me..!), so I don't have how to power it ;( In any case, it should be a tad brighter than ElektroLumens WOF.

So where did we stop? Oh, at something like 3k lumens..

so let's go to 16k by design (and that's what it should be, cause the charge wasn't full by the time I was taking it, and the Konions I use sag quite a bit under 12A load this guy is drawing..)... The Purificator:

DSC_7179.jpg

edit: now this really looks like wall on fire :D

I have to tell ya.. and I know this will sound like a cheap excuse.. but these shots don't do justice! The floodiness of the light is non-describable. If I point it to the ceiling, it's daylight inside. No high lux/small angle light will ever create that feeling. I loose a LOT of light for the huge hole I have beneath the bulb, for the scratched orange peel reflector which is way too small for the bulb, and, heck, even the Vsag is stealing tons from it, but neverminding it all, it's street-lighting ability leaves you breathless..

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got to apologize for how long it took. It was quite a task. It came down to having to dissipate the power of dropping 51V down to 12V at 9mA. The little regulator chip I was using just couldn't do it for very long. That's why it would work on my bench and for Mr QQ for a while then fail. But I used it as a design exercise to build a regulator using a true FET driver and a big D2PAK FET. The result is something that stays pleasantly cool while dropping 50V down to 38V for 20 minutes or so.
Maybe this will be the basis for the JM-PhD-D2

Last edited:

mrQQ

Enlightened
It's all OK. Having waited for all that time only makes it oh so much more pleasant, and you've been more than outstanding to deal with :) If anything, it should be me apologizing for all the time and cost you had to undergo cause of me.

Now I need to get some Sony/Konion V's or AW IMR's to actually be able to keep 40v on that bulb :0

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
While doing some testing on the regulator and bulbs, I had to put an aluminum foil "reflector" between the me and the bulb so I could see what I was doing. Otherwise I would have been blinded. During one of the longer run tests I had to move things around. A black alligator lead near by (about 30cm away) started to smoke. It was a moment of panic. I caught the smoke out of the corner of my eye and thought it was the regulator giving up again. I let the smoke out of more than a few components during testing. :devil:
Here come beamshots..

I have to tell ya.. and I know this will sound like a cheap excuse.. but these shots don't do justice! The floodiness of the light is non-describable. If I point it to the ceiling, it's daylight inside. No high lux/small angle light will ever create that feeling. I loose a LOT of light for the huge hole I have beneath the bulb, for the scratched orange peel reflector which is way too small for the bulb, and, heck, even the Vsag is stealing tons from it, but neverminding it all, it's street-lighting ability leaves you breathless..

Walterk

Enlightened
Great beamshots! Nice that it was possible to compare to the other lights.
It sure purifies. Had to change my screen settings to look around the mess;)

mrQQ

Enlightened
Q,

So, it your Purificator a throw down to MaSha1's Franken MagDaddy???? We need outdoor beamshots.....

No, it doesn't even compare. These are too very different lights. His is alien technology induced laser pointer which has swollen a tad :D and is used to cook eggs from 1km distance.

Mine on the other hand is yer-old street-lamp floodlight, in case the sun goes out and you need daylight here and now..

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, it your Purificator a throw down to MaSha1's Franken MagDaddy???? We need outdoor beamshots.....

It's going to be nearly impossible to throw down MagDaddy with an mag based Incan hot wire regardless of how many watts.

I looked at Luxluthors Top 10 most powerful Incan Mag mods, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177171
Non of them will come close to MagDaddy's throw.

As Ra pointed out many times, Throw are mostly made up by two things: Surface Brightness & Size of the reflector.

MagDaddy using HIR Lamp (Reflect IR back to the filament to make it burn brighter) has higher surface brightness than
regular incans hot wires. Luxluther's Mag Mod list has the largest reflector being 3", MagDaddy Reflector is almost 6".

MagDaddy blew away the 35W HID/4" reflector L35 Clone. I am in the process of upgrading the HID to a 75W HID Mini Barn Burner, but even that I don't think it can throw down MagDaddy.

Look up fort Gorges, I was able to lit it up with MagDaddy across the Ocean nearly a mile away from Bug light.
Not lit enough to photograph with my camera, I need to make a light that could throw 1 million lux@ 1meter :)

Last edited:

ochoa1984

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this is amazing, I wish I would learn how to build one... It would really come in handy having a light that will peaty much make it day @ night...