spot + downward angle spill for EMS

jamesleifer

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

My first post on CPF...

I'm a volunteer EMT (emergency medical technician) looking to replace my ageing Petzl Tikka XP.

Ideally I would like a single headlamp that is good at two, perhaps contradictory, functions:

1. Spot with good throw for searching through dim building complexes to find the right number and entrance.

2. Low intensity spill with the ability to sharply angle the light about 60 degrees downwards so that I can work on a patient without blinding my partners.

My budget is about $80. I prefer AA batteries.

Would be grateful for any suggestions!

James

readyme

Newly Enlightened
James
Take a look at Princeton Tec. I personally have the Corona and it like a huge wall of light, though it does not throw so well. But for my purposes it works perfectly. The Apex seems like it is exactly what you are looking for.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Fenix HL20? The spot (with the diffuser flipped up) is pretty good, and the diffuser down gives a decent flood. I think you may have to consider a light with a diffuser to get both of the functionalities you want. Or maybe one of the Petzl Tikkas? There are a few variants, some with diffusers that can be put in front of the lens. One downside with the HL20 - you may not be able to angle it down as sharply as you like.

Ted

jamesleifer

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for the replies!

readyme: I had a look at the Princeton Tec page. The Apex looks like a nice light. I would prefer a single unit though rather than the two-piece design: my pockets are already full of stuff and I'd prefer not to have a piece that could snag as I pull it out. Maybe this concern isn't justified... Their EOS-II looks good too. Do all of the Princeton Tecs have downward rotating heads? If so, is the action smooth or ratcheted?

tedh: Thanks, will look at the Fenix. I do need a good rotating head though.

Appreciatively,
James

readyme

Newly Enlightened
All of the headlamps I have dealt with (Petzl and Princeton Tec) rotate smoothly with friction rather than a ratchet mechanism.
If you want a one piece (compact) headlamp, it will likely be a 3xAAA light. I personally have a Petzl Zipka that is pretty sweet...but it is all flood and no spot. My next purchase is the Princeton Tec Quad Tactical, and it will reside on the front of my firefighting helmet. It again is all flood.
Getting both spot and flood in a compact light is going to be a little tricky.

-Princeton Tec EOS 2 has a spot and a red defuser....may or may not work.
-Petzl Tactikka XP similar to the EOS 2 but has different color defusers, including clear.
-Princeton Tec Remix or Remix Pro (depends which batteries you want to use) has a spot LED and 3 smaller LED's for close work.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
If you want to convince yourself that a Wide-to-Spot focusable zoom headlight really works for you, here is an amazingly cheap solution that works amazingly well. The Wide is a beautiful smooth circle of light.

It's not rainproof and the mechanicals are terrible, but the optics are fantastic.

If you have need for a "so what if I don't get it back" light that costs $13, then put a few of these in your emergency kit.

Google "dealextreme sku.26250"

For a two-piece focusable headlamp with good mechanicals and excellent continuous brightness control (dim is excellent for not dazzling patients as you lean over them or stretcher-carry them) for $20, google "dealextreme sku.44500".

Here are my requirements for a light for Search & Rescue personnel.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/289966

Last edited:

readyme

Newly Enlightened
After reading your original post and thinking about it again (I too am an EMT), I think your best bet is a hand held light for spotting use and a small headlamp for close up patient work and area lighting. Just my $0.02

MikeAusC

Enlightened
On the last stretcher-carry I was on, one of the SCAT (Special Casualty Access Team) Paramedics was using an ARUP Headlight which has two separate heads - you can aim each independantly and you can buy one Flood and one Spot.

readyme

Newly Enlightened
On the last stretcher-carry I was on, one of the SCAT (Special Casualty Access Team) Paramedics was using an ARUP Headlight which has two separate heads - you can aim each independantly and you can buy one Flood and one Spot.

For $220 it should carry the stretcher for you!!! ;)

hopkins

Enlightened
Your need to be able to point the headlamp downward so as not to
blind fellow workers (or in my case fellow campers) in front of you.
This is very necessary for comfortable work.

Also the headlamp should not illuminate your own nose/face when tilted down
as the back-scatter degrades vision a lot.

With some searching you may find something you can use or modify to work well
enough. Adding a remote 3 AA battery pack is not that much trouble if you find the perfect lamp
that uses aaa's instead.

Something with this kind of shape could work for you.

2d06xi.jpg

Last edited:

readyme

Newly Enlightened
Where would one look to learn more about modding a AAA light to AA?

Your need to be able to point the headlamp downward so as not to
blind fellow workers (or in my case fellow campers) in front of you.
This is very necessary for comfortable work.

Also the headlamp should not illuminate your own nose/face when tilted down
as the back-scatter degrades vision a lot.

With some searching you may find something you can use or modify to work well
enough. Adding a remote 3 AA battery pack is not that much trouble if you find the perfect lamp
that uses aaa's instead.

Something with this kind of shape could work for you.

2d06xi.jpg

jamesleifer

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your suggestions! This forum is amazing.

I've decided to go with a Zebralight H51 headlamp for now, given that it appears to have an excellent lumens-to-weight ratio. I'm eagerly awaiting it (placed my order at the end of last week).

If ultimately, it doesn't throw enough to be useful for picking out house numbers, I'll consider an additional flashlight for just that task --- maybe waiting for the new Cree XM generation of flashlights which will presumably come out in 2011.

James

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for your suggestions! This forum is amazing.

I've decided to go with a Zebralight H51 headlamp for now, given that it appears to have an excellent lumens-to-weight ratio. I'm eagerly awaiting it (placed my order at the end of last week).

If ultimately, it doesn't throw enough to be useful for picking out house numbers, I'll consider an additional flashlight for just that task --- maybe waiting for the new Cree XM generation of flashlights which will presumably come out in 2011.

James

James,

User reports for the H51 have been positive. Zemmo said his H51 out throws his Saint Minimus. Sarlix said his H51 out throws his NiteCore D10. Kenomane's beam shots show the H51 to be as bright as the Jetbeam RRT-0.

I think you have made a good choice because:

1. It's small enough to carry in your pocket or on your belt so you have it with you at all times.

2. In addition to being a headlamp, it can be used in many other ways. My favorite way to use my H501 is wearing it around my neck with an adjustable lanyard. When not needed, I just tuck it behind my shirt. When I want to use it as a headlamp, I just move it to my forehead. Unless I need to look up, I rarely use it as a headlamp though.

The advantages of using a ZL light at chest level are many:

It's more discreet. It doesn't mess up your hair. It produces no glare on your eyes. A headlamp worn on the head angled down will produce glare on your eyes. You can look at other people and talk to them without having to turn off the light.

But you need to do some minor mods in order to enjoy these advantages. Please visit the "Zebralight Mods" thread for some ideas.

Last edited: