Does your Twin-Task actually focus?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the 1L and the 2L, and rotating the ring appears to have virtually NO effect on the focus until the ring and reflector lift off of the light. I DO like these lights (especially the 2L) and adjustable focus is NOT a big issue with me, but does anyone else notice the same thing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, mine doesn't either. I was hoping for a Scorpion-like beam (only not as bright) and it just isn't there. It still makes a good utility light but it's more like a semi-flood than beam.

Jon

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
All mine focus after a fashion, certainly enough to be useful (1L, 2L, 3C,3AA). They do not focus as tightly as a Scorpion or 6P beam, but it still is plenty bright.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. They all do, but some of them needed a little help. You can extend the range of the focusing by taking the spring off of the back of the reflector and carefully stretching it a bit with your fingers - not too much though, only a few millimeters. That way as you dial out the reflector is pushed outward with the lens. You won't get a huge range of focus, but this helps.

No matter what, they won't focus to a pinpoint beam due to the shape of the reflector.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y'all have me doubting my memory, or thinking I'm going blind or something.

I went back, and tried all my TTs (1 L, 2 L, 3AA, and 3 C), slowly, and patiently; and ALL of mine will easily double (plus) the tightest beam at its largest focus (before artifacts become bothersome).

Maybe I have the only good springs or something................

JJHitt

Enlightened
Does Streamlight even claim the lights can be focused?
... uh, nevermind, YES they do... the website says "adjustable focus". But it doesn't look to me like that is what the actual designers had in mind.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, really as I see it, the adjustable focus need only be used to tighten the beam to it's most coherent setting after changing the bulb and then it's left there. For a wide flood of light you have the LEDs...

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
Yes. They all do, but some of them needed a little help. You can extend the range of the focusing by taking the spring off of the back of the reflector and carefully stretching it a bit with your fingers - not too much though, only a few millimeters. That way as you dial out the reflector is pushed outward with the lens. You won't get a huge range of focus, but this helps.

No matter what, they won't focus to a pinpoint beam due to the shape of the reflector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch. I took my 1L apart last night, and managed to stretch the spring just a little. (by hand - did'nt have tools handy) A little stretch produced a little focus. I wonder if Streamlight will send me longer springs rather than me trying to DOUBLE the length of the originals.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got the official word on the focusing:

"The focusing ability of the Twin Tasks is very limited. The range of focus is designed merely to allow for manufacturing variations in the position of the lamp filament."

I still think they are pretty lights, but I also think they should remove any mention of "focusing ability" from the packaging and advertisments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the 1L's I have tested and given to their owners don't really focus well in incandescent mode. Just allows the filament to be focused to a certain "roundness" and flood.

The 3C is also like that. Just as stated in the above post.

Still nice lights though. My 1L is hanging on my desk in my dorm room.