Between budget and expensive light recommendation?

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
The first LED light I bought was a RC-N3 II from Shiningbeam, for ~$24, and I really liked it, until it broke.

I managed to fix it up by scavenging an LED and buying a driver, but its performance is lack luster, considering what it once was. It works, and it's a great light, but the original performance has left me wanting a bit more.

As I've been told time and again, it's usually better to spend more money in the beginning as the reliability is worth it (instead of replacing a bunch of cheap lights), so I started looking beyond the budget light range, not wanting to make the mistake I made before.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack (as far as I know) of good, reliable lights that are in the mid-price range (~$30-$40). The budget lights I've seen are usually $35 or less, while the higher quality stuff is $50 or more. I had the same problem when I was originally deciding on my first light; my budget was $40.

I'm not looking for the highest possible output, but I don't really want something that's going to something that's going to stop working 2 month after I buy it.

So here I am again, with the same problem: recommendations for a clickly AA light, preferably with just 2 modes (Lo, Hi), for under $40?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years back, there were some decent choices in the $30-$40 range that were good quality and performance. Unfortunately, today, these same lights have moved up in the price range into the >$50 arena while the budget lights have stayed the same price (can't really justify higher cost for the budget ones due to their low build quality).
I'm in the same situation now...looking for a good light (either 1xAA or 1x123) for my parents who have been using some Luxogen twisty 1x123 lights for years and one of them is now getting a bit flaky (pretty darn good considering how often the light's been dropped onto concrete).
I found only a couple...the ITP C-series and SA-series. I'm looking at both the C7R or C7T (1xAA) and the C9R (1x123). They're about $30, very well made, has an extremely useful and simple UI. The SA are right at the $40 range. Also very well made and great performers.
Sadly, the C-series is discontinued, so they're a bit hard to find.
Consider those, and go for the SA-series if you want something newer and they're readily available.

jellydonut

Enlightened
It seems half the forum is raving about the Quark lights - the Minis at least are in your price range.

I can't say anything personally though, haven't tried one.

vickers214

Enlightened
+1 for ITP, took the words out of my mouth, I actually rate them a bit better than the more expensive Olight, all things considered.

have you thought about the Fenix E20/1 with the CPF discounts? good easy to use lights, and with the E21 a newer emitter

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rayovac Roughneck. I payed 34 dollars for it and it is built tough.
The two for 20 dollar Costco LED lights seem well built too. Though cycling through modes every time

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E21 or a quark mini seem like an easy choice. I believe you can get an eagletac for around that as well.
Also check out some of ITP's lights on shiningbeam, they are in that range.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
buy a used $80 light for $40 in the market place.

thats what i do

:whistle:

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
The Eagletac P20C2 Mk II is my fav out of all 20 of my lights. It is $68, however.

For budget - I sorta rate cheaper lights against a $25 Solarforce - when deciding if its worth the money or not.

I think the Solarforce L2 is the best budget light - $24.99 shipped for a 2x123 light, single mode. Multi mode versions are only about $2-$3 more.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
You can get the Eagle Tac P100A2 for $39.99 and it's a 2xAA, clicky and 2 modes. That fits what the OP is asking for.
And you can get it in cool or neutral white! :thumbsup:

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

As I stated in my original post, I'm looking for a clicky light, so I'm not interested in the Quark Minis.

I just looked at the Fenix E21 and the Eagletac P100A2 and both seem like very good lights; they're currently at the top of my list. Help deciding between the two?

Please keep the comments coming.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have an Eagletac T100C2 MK II

It's my night stand light, because the low setting isn't blinding when you first wake up. But, you can crank it to max for tactical purposes. Great light!

I think it was like $39 for it

fishx65

Enlightened
The $17.00 Energizer 1aa Cree has a budget price but is a very solid torch. Pretty sure the two I have could last a lifetime. I also agree that Solarforce lights should have great durability.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I suggest E21 neutral from 4sevens, great seller. With CPF discount and free shipping worldwide.:thumbsup:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Olight i series. The Model I15 Infinitum is a AA cell and now discontinued as the 2010 versions are new T versions, here in the UK that series has extra discounts to clear stock,better build quality than ITP,s.

If you do a search there is a review on this light and others in the i series.

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
If you don't have your heart set on the 1 x AA format, take a look at the Serac range of lights by Leatherman. Leatherman is noted for it's build quality and customer service. The Serac range is discontinued so there are plenty of bargains. IMO it's better than what the Monarch series that they're selling now.

I bought the S3 NIB from fleaBay for $30. It has 3 levels (100lumen max), clicky, regulated driver, SS bezel for the added protection, UCL w/double AR coating, water-resistant, durable HAIII coating, decent run times, and it has the best wire clip that you can reverse without the need for any tools. It comes with wrist lanyard and a Duracell Ultra CR123 battery. Check out the link below:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210489

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix E21 and the EagleTac P100A2 are still at the top of my list currently.

I am sticking with AA lights because they are plentiful in my household (originally bought 20 for a robot).

Please keep adding opinions on the two lights mentioned above or new recommendations.

Watts Up!

Newly Enlightened
You can pick up a used Quark AA over in the for sale ads for around $40 if you keep an eye out.:)

pae77

Enlightened
. . . .

For budget - I sorta rate cheaper lights against a $25 Solarforce - when deciding if its worth the money or not.

I think the Solarforce L2 is the best budget light - $24.99 shipped for a 2x123 light, single mode. Multi mode versions are only about $2-$3 more.
+1