Another flashlight recommendation thread

Cosmitz

Newly Enlightened
I know you guys might get a lot of these around here so i'll try to be brief. I want a flashlight for every-day-carry on my belt under streetclothes like t-shirts and the like. It has to be compact, durable and adaptable to whatever i might need it for. I want it to be there, ready and capable at doing whatever needs lighting up within decent requests ;p

Without further ado, the quizz atop of the page:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

*I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Around 100$, say 150 max-max but it should be something that excels at doing what i require and go above the call of duty.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight/torch.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches). As said, it can be a bit longer if it's not bulky but i don't want it be TOO long either.

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

Both out of the box and DIY kits. I'm technically adept and i'm more then willing to build it if i get it cheaper/better/better suited to my needs.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

*I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (I got some AA/AAA Eneloops which i love to death)
*I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want: RCR123/16340 < CR123A in rechargeable form.

Basically, i don't want to buy batteries per se, i want to buy rechargeables once.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

*I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
*I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

Say about 150-170 lumens is the max, i really don't need anymore.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

*Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
*Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
*5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
*30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

*90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

About 60-120 minutes will work for me, but i'd like the option to use different light outputs according to the situation.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

*Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
*Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

I don't really need it to be absolutely kill-proof, but i'd like it to withstand wall-scrapes or accidental falls.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

In order of need/want:

*I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
*I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
*I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

*I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
*I want a selector ring.
*I want a programmable light.
*I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)

I want it to be adaptable. Whether reading in the dark, whether using it when hitting the country-side or whether using it at my airsoft night games on strobe..Again, choices have been made in order of need/want.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

*Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
*Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
*Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

As said, i want it to withstand falls, knocks or hits. Not that i'll be playing soccer with it around the house, but i want to know that if i drop it down a flight of stairs, that it will survive. No real problem with weight, just with cost.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

*Pocket/belt clip < Necessary, as said, belt-mounted.
*Holster < Only slim models apply, things that i can wear under my streetclothes.
*Crenulated bezel < Very nice to have, definetly saves a flashlight from knocks and bumps.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cosmitz

Newly Enlightened
Re: Another flashlight recomandation thread

Thanks. Also, i'm not keen on it to be perfect, but i want to get a reliable, efficient and good bang-for-buck product. :)

Cosmitz

Newly Enlightened

I hope it's not against the rules to bump.

Imon

Enlightened

I hope it's not against the rules to bump.

As far as I know it's not. :)

This will be at the upper limit of your price range but look into the HDS Ra Clicky. It's a fantastic light.

If not then I'd look into getting a 4Sevens Quark 123 with a tactical tailcap for the momentary on function.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

:welcome:

I fully agree with Imon, the HDS Systems EDC 170 (Ra Clicky) is your light. Not only is it the number one must-have flashlight on CPF, it looks to fit your list of requirements like a glove. You will not be disappointed.

Oh, and thank you for using the Flashlight Recommendation Checklist. It makes our job a lot easier. :)

-Robert

Cosmitz

Newly Enlightened

It seems i've been getting the same response from other forums and imageboards *cough* i visit about the Ra Clicky recommendation. Did a custom one on their site, and ended up with about 149$:

Custom: 140 lumens LED, wider beam, crenelated black stainless steel bezel, ultra-clear glass lens w/AR coatings, CR123 battery compartment, raised button, tactical operation

Still waiting for my next paycheck, but so far it's the prime candidate. :)

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Yep, get the HDS/Ra Clicky. You won't regret it. i think there's one on B/S/T atm....

Cosmitz

Newly Enlightened

Eh, must made the order, a tad too late. :)

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Cosmitz

Newly Enlightened

Yep. Ordered up, waiting for the two weeks 'build time'. I would have imagined they keep the parts on stock and just need to screw them in... anyhows, in a few three weeks max with shipping i'll be picking up the click from my postoffice. :)

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Yep. Ordered up, waiting for the two weeks 'build time'. I would have imagined they keep the parts on stock and just need to screw them in... anyhows, in a few three weeks max with shipping i'll be picking up the click from my postoffice. :)

You may get it sooner. Mine took just under 3 weeks to arrive but I live in Australia. Also, keep in mind that the light gets calibrated and fine tuned as well :twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I hope you like it!

Many people who have them like the lights.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

I fully agree with Imon, the HDS Systems EDC 170 (Ra Clicky) is your light. Not only is it the number one must-have flashlight on CPF, it looks to fit your list of requirements like a glove. You will not be disappointed.

Oh, and thank you for using the Flashlight Recommendation Checklist. It makes our job a lot easier. :)

-Robert

Quoted for truth -- this is a great choice. I have their old (twisty) model, and love it to death. The set of needs you described is ... well, it'll fit like a glove.

Oh hey -- you did end up buying it. You may enjoy the ElectronGuru "Groovy" or the Nitecore SmartRing if you ever want to widen your collection, by the way.

Cosmitz

Newly Enlightened

Well, the Clicky arrived.. well under 2 weeks plus shipping which i find to be quite nice. I didn't get a chance to actually play alot with it, and i'm keeping myself to test it out this evening/this night. I'm impressed by the sturdiness of it and the clicky itself it very tacticle even if i did choose the sunken button.

What i'm a bit crosseyed about is the belt clip. I mean, it arrived with a clip that theoretically went around either the button end or the battery end, making it more or less a choosable bezel up/down, but it also came with two screwes and the two holes in the light to mount.. i assume.. another type of clip?

Also to install it bezel down, i had to remove the thin oring on the button end, and remove and install the thick oring after putting it on. Also, as it sits now, it does rotate around the light.. not that it matters that much. The clip itself is rugged and solid and it keeps the light on my belt quite well.Still, i would prefer to get a fixed position clip. >.>

I did mount the screws just to make sure no dust gets in that way..

Last edited: