Opinions: Olight M20 R5 Special Ops Edition

jcalvert

Enlightened
Since there doesn't seem to be any reviews that I can find of the new 320 lumen Olight M20 R5 Special Ops Edition, if you have this new version, I would like to get your opinion.

Comparison to similar lights in this class such as the Fenix TA21, EagleTac T20C2 MKII and 4/Sevens Maelstrom G5 would be welcome. Thanks!

John

Watts Up!

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking at this light today would be cool to see a review on it, looks good!:)

Hevy Lite

Newly Enlightened
I believe you are speaking about the M20 version that has the mode button on the tail.

If so this light uses PWM brightness control vs the regular version's current control. The PWM frequency is within the visual range for some users who will see the flicker.

I was very interested until I found out this fact.

See this thread for comments:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/291025

This review of M30 for similar operation:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

jcalvert

Enlightened
I believe you are speaking about the M20 version that has the mode button on the tail.

If so this light uses PWM brightness control vs the regular version's current control. The PWM frequency is within the visual range for some users who will see the flicker.

I was very interested until I found out this fact.

See this thread for comments:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/291025

This review of M30 for similar operation:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

Hevy,

Thanks for the info, after reading Selfbuilt's review link in particular, I now understand PWM. Due to the PWM and parasitic drain, the M20S is out.

Curiously, I'm considering one of the Lumapower Signature Tactical lights because of their Sidekick switch. Although the side switch is near the head as opposed to being in the tailcap, would it suffer from PWM as well?

As for the Olights, I will still consider the M20 with the increased output of 320L for 2010. Is the 320 at the emitter or OTF?

My interest in this light is to replace my EagleTac T20C2 MKII whose UI is deficient by not including the low mode in with the Med & High and that it doesn't offer last mode memory. If the UI were updated to include these features, I wouldn't consider replacing it.

So, do you have any experience with the ET T20 along with the OL M20-Standard to give me your opinion as to whether the Olight's output, especially on High, is similar to the T20's balance of exceptional flood w/ decent throw? Thanks Hevy! :thumbsup:

John

Last edited:

Hevy Lite

Newly Enlightened
PWM - A number of lights use PWM technology to provide different brightness levels. If the frequency is high enough you will not see flickering. The lower levels of the Olight M20S and M30 are not high enough for many users.

EDC (Every Day Carry) vs Tactical Lights - This has been a difficult subject for me to resolve. What I mean is this... If you want a light that with you every day and want it to have a certain set of usable modes then an EDC type of light fits better than a Tactical type of light.

Tactical Lights often have limited user interfaces and are intended to shine a light in the eyes of bad guys or mount to your AR and see were you are shooting.

I am considering a few EDC lights including what most here would consider the best the Ea Clicky. Expensive but has 4 fully programmable modes. Also, the Standard Quark allows stepping through modes. The Jetbeam IBS lights allow 3 user-defined modes and the RRT series lights use a ring to select modes. The Zebralights allow easy access to three modes, but are a little different.

You may have to give up the latest brightest wonder light to get the interface you most want to use.

Experience with lights - I currently have an old (Very old) surefire E2 with 60 lumens. I want a modern multimode LED light to keep with me every day. I may purchase a second light for more tactical use.

Right now I would like a light that comes on in a very low mode and can be moved to higher modes as necessary. Also I am considering a neutral colored emitter for improved color rendition. This means for EDC I will be giving up peak lumens for a pleasing CRI.

Last edited:

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
I own both the M20 R2 Premium and the M20 R5 Special Ops. I love the M20 R2 and decided to try the R5 version due to the slightly added lumens. I have a need for two of these type lights and was close to buying a second M20 R2 when the new R5 was introduced, so I figured what the heck. I have to tell you that I am disappointed in the R5 version. I like the UI better but it is not really all that much brighter and it doesn't throw as well either. Sure it has a nice wide beam and lights up a bit more area than the R2 but I was hoping for an "upgraded R2" with equal to or further throw plus being noticeably brighter. It's fine for what I am using it for but I find myself now wanting the new M31 as the reviews and beamshots I have seen on it are what I am looking for in terms of brightness and throw...............

That's my take on it, wish I had waited a while longer and put the money towards the M31.....................

Terry

jcalvert

Enlightened
I own both the M20 R2 Premium and the M20 R5 Special Ops. I love the M20 R2 and decided to try the R5 version due to the slightly added lumens. I have a need for two of these type lights and was close to buying a second M20 R2 when the new R5 was introduced, so I figured what the heck. I have to tell you that I am disappointed in the R5 version. I like the UI better but it is not really all that much brighter and it doesn't throw as well either. Sure it has a nice wide beam and lights up a bit more area than the R2 but I was hoping for an "upgraded R2" with equal to or further throw plus being noticeably brighter. It's fine for what I am using it for but I find myself now wanting the new M31 as the reviews and beamshots I have seen on it are what I am looking for in terms of brightness and throw...............

That's my take on it, wish I had waited a while longer and put the money towards the M31.....................

Terry

Terry,

Timing is sometimes everything! I was just about to place an order for the M20S when I decided to check my email and found that you had responded to this thread, as a result I have decided on the M20S. Your post helps me and I believe I may be able to help you. But before I place any order I will have a question later.

First, your post helps me because the more flood/less throw beam is what I wanted out of the M20 series and expected from the XPG-R5 w/ an OP reflector to replace my EagleTac T20C2 MKII.

Second, based on what you describe that you were hoping from the M20S, I think describes another torch I have that might fit your needs. That is if you haven't already reviewed it. It's the 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 which is just a tad bigger than the M20 with a larger, smooth reflector bezel helping throw an R5 emitter's beam. It has a more traditional bezel turning UI and is a great thrower of 17K+ lux based on selfbuilt's review and testing. Unless you really want the M31's side switch, then the G5 is half the price. Here's a couple of links of the G5 for your consideration,

1) Selfbuilt's Review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282390

2) Lowest price with CPF discount code notebook:
http://www.environmentalled.com/4Sevens-Maelstrom-G5-LED-Flashlight-p1253.html

I hope this helps!

As for my question, as I stated in an earlier thread, I just learned about PWM, but need your feedback. I understand that the M20S uses PWM for current control with the side switch and as such, depending on the person who's using the M20S, it possibly creates a visible flicker at all brightness levels. The question is, does the flicker happen when the light is held stable as in illuminating an object, or only when you move the light as when others shook it to see if it flickered?

If it doesn't flicker when stable, I can't think of a reason not to get it since the light's size and features are what I was looking for and I would prefer the side switch UI. Thanks!

John

Hevy Lite

Newly Enlightened
JCalvert - Slight correction PWM flicker may be visible on lower two levels, not visible on high per Selfbuilt M30 review. If side button is used to trigger strobe from off and lower levels are not used a lot this light should still be good to go.

jcalvert

Enlightened
JCalvert - Slight correction PWM flicker may be visible on lower two levels, not visible on high per Selfbuilt M30 review. If side button is used to trigger strobe from off and lower levels are not used a lot this light should still be good to go.

Thanks Hevy!

Any chance you've tried it with the smooth reflector and if so, what impact did it have on throw and also, what's the beam pattern like...any irregularites? Thanks!

John

jcalvert

Enlightened

Hevy,

I received the M20S today and while trying it out, I saw absolutely no evidence of any flicker at all, at any constant light level.

So with the M20S having the side switch, last mode memory and with output and beam pattern that is very similar to the EagleTac T20C2 MKII XPG-R5, as you say, I'm good to go. Thanks for your feedback!

All the best,
John

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Hi John - I just got back from being gone for a few days out to the coast. Even took my both of my M20s with me and lit up a few boats and things at night just for kicks. One guy that was nearby couldn't believe the light coming from both lights and wanted to know where to buy one. Poor guy was using a 3 cell Maglite and I believe I put a real damper on his beamshots............Ha! Anyway, glad my post was of help and glad to hear you got your M20S and are enjoying it. After the fact now of course, but in answer to your question regarding flickering, I have experienced none of that with mine at any settings. It works flawlessly so far as does my older M20. Thanks for the recommendation on the light from 4 Sevens, will check it out prior to purchasing the M31 or anything else.................

Regards, Terry

Last edited:

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
To "John" - Sorry I called you Jim in my last email. Somehow I was stuck on that name for some reason and didn't catch it till after I posted it. Hope you are enjoying that new M20S and that you have no problems with it in the future. I own several Olights and all have given me fine service..............

Regards, Terry

jcalvert

Enlightened
To "John" - Sorry I called you Jim in my last email. Somehow I was stuck on that name for some reason and didn't catch it till after I posted it. Hope you are enjoying that new M20S and that you have no problems with it in the future. I own several Olights and all have given me fine service..............

Regards, Terry

No problem Tommy, oh I mean Timmy, oh geez, I mean Terry. Yah, that's the ticket.
rolleye11.gif

I have to tell you that I love that side switch and the ability for my non-tech wife and kids being able to use it in an instant as a defensive tool. I just showed them how to position the pocket clip in their hand as a reference point to easily locate the side switch when needed.

I hope one day though that Olight increases the size of the side switch a bit and adds some texture to it to better find it blindly in a defensive situation.

I will be interested to hear if you decide on the M31 for the throw factor and the side switch together and whether it's worth the cost vs. the G5. For under $100, it's going to be hard to justify paying double for the M31, but that darn side switch...ya know!

Let me know what you do with a PM, alright? Thanks Terry!

All the best,
John

Last edited:

jedi

Newly Enlightened
I hope one day though that Olight increases the size of the side switch a bit and adds some texture to it to better find it blindly in a defensive situation.

This is a little bit better at the M30, where an additional textured ring helps finding the sideswitch.

I too appreciate the rear control at the M20 S.
Although the R5 looses a bit of throw against the classic R2, for me the bigger spot and wider full beam is more usable. Comparing only with SMO reflectors the R5 beam quality has also improved and it has the coolest tint of all :)

Do you suppose they will bring an M31 S :confused: :party:

I´m not convinced having to turn the big clumsy ;) head more often than with M20/21 because of the heat at max. output.

...have to regrease the threads of the heads again for cold winter time...;)
Anyway if the torch is mounted firmly the side switch control is way better! (And no need for transportation lock-out function) :)

Cheers
jedi

Latest posts