Looking for an Inexpensive Camping Flashlight

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I hope you are doing well.

At the end of this year, my friends and I will be going camping in Yosemite National Park in California. I am looking for an inexpensive light (under $30 or $40) that would work well outdoors as well hike and use the light around our tents. I would prefer the more typical types of batteries (e.g. AA's) and a decent battery life.

Any good recommendations? I do have a few months time, so I do not need to buy something right away and can wait for a deal.

Thanks!
Vic

Ian2381

Enlightened
I suggest getting a Fenix E21 Neutral from 4sevens. Great seller with free shipping. Just make sure to use the CPF8 discount code. less than $40 for a decent light.
Also buy another light since having a backup light is a must in any outdoor trip. I suggest getting a headlamp.:wave:

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying! I was just looking at the very flashlight earlier today and was considering it.

Is the E21 better than the Fenix P2D? Thanks.

Any other suggestions or recommendations from anyone else?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are camping in the valley AND not a flashaholic, all you need is something inexpensive that will work well for trips to and fro showers, bathrooms, and general navigation needs. For handheld lights, thd Princeton Tec Amp 4.0 and 5.0 come to mind. The Streamlight PolyPro 4AA luxeon or 7 LED also come to mind. All AA format. Stick to LED's and not incans.

An LED headlamp is always a super light to have camping. You can use both hands setting things up in the dark such as the tent or for work inside the tent, cook in the early AM, and navigate to the showers/restroom at night.

If you are more inclined to really like flashlights or be a budding flashaholic, there are so many other choices. Either of the Fenix lights you mentioned will serve you well. Additionally, there are a whole host of others out there as well. Generally, the higher powered lights are not really needed for camping. Also, forget the Maglights. Way too heavy and the alkaline batteries are not very effective in cold temps. Car camping in the Spring/Summer maybe.

If it is a couple of months from now, it sounds like you will be camping in the winter, ie SNOW! If you plan to be in cold temps, look for lights that will let you use lithium AA batteries. HUGH difference in effectiveness.
By the way, if you are camping in the Valley, an occasional trip to the Ahwahnee Hotel will allow you to wash up with hot running water in the restrooms!

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
Re the P2D - that takes CR123A cells; you've expressed a preference for more standard batteries - personally I agree with that, especially for a budding collection of lights. You can pretty much always find an AA cell lurking about.

I would even consider getting two lights, an inexpensive headlamp - not too bright, just something for task lighting without blinding your companions - cheap; and then something ilke the Fenix E21.

Headlamps are very handy for camping, biking, odd jobs around the house. Small pocketable flashlights likewise are very handy. There's some cross over use of course but few people will pocket a headlamp.

The Zebralights are a bit unique in that they can be used as either. I have a number of pocketable lights plus some reasonably priced Princeton Tec lights and am still considering a newer (not shipping yet) Zebralight SC51 which can do double duty as a headlamp.

Edit: Or you could consider the Fenix E10 (not available everywhere, but REI has them for $19.93 currently) and then buy a headlamp like a Princeton Tec or some such thing.

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
Any good, inexpensive headlights you'd recommend? Thanks.

This recent thread, Best headlamp for under $50, may provide you a start.

I'd recommend even cheaper simple old tech units (REI link just for examples) that I have but you can't buy them as such any more. I have something like the Black Diamond "Gizmo" - a $20 price and a Princeton Tec Byte for about the same price, can't remember exactly what I paid for either. I find that for 'round camp, home etc you don't need a wall of light usually, so there should be plenty of low priced choices available to you. Seems to me there are fans of both Princeton Tec (various models) and Black Diamond around here.

Of course if you were rock climbing in the dark or caving, you might have entirely different needs and then the Zebralight offerings start to look really attractive.

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
Can anyone else confirm that going from $35 for the Fenix E21 to this $60 Zebralight would be a good deal? Thanks.

The Zebralight is really better but if you would consider spending 6o dollars for a light then I suggest getting the Fenix E21 Neutral and another light in the form of a headlight. Two lights is always better than one. you never know when a reliable light might get lost or fail.
But If you could spend more then get a ZL 501w and a really cheap light as a backup.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
I would go for the PT EOS. It is a classic, and trusted by hikers for years, but it has been recently updated with a modern LED (Rebel 100) and most importantly, RELIABLE. A certain competitor mentioned here is certainly not considered reliable, despite its high pricetag.

Imon

Enlightened
I would go for the PT EOS. It is a classic, and trusted by hikers for years, but it has been recently updated with a modern LED (Rebel 100) and most importantly, RELIABLE. A certain competitor mentioned here is certainly not considered reliable, despite its high pricetag.

Come on carrot let's hear what you really think about Zebralights. :D

Although I do love my ZLs I think if the OP doesn't really emphasizes a more budgeted approach then the PT EOS is a good choice.

carrot

Flashaholic
Come on carrot let's hear what you really think about Zebralights. :D

Although I do love my ZLs I think if the OP doesn't really emphasizes a more budgeted approach then the PT EOS is a good choice.
Me????? I have no idea what you're talking about :D

Mdinana

Enlightened
If you are camping in the valley AND not a flashaholic, all you need is something inexpensive that will work well for trips to and fro showers, bathrooms, and general navigation needs. For handheld lights, thd Princeton Tec Amp 4.0 and 5.0 come to mind. The Streamlight PolyPro 4AA luxeon or 7 LED also come to mind. All AA format. Stick to LED's and not incans.

An LED headlamp is always a super light to have camping. You can use both hands setting things up in the dark such as the tent or for work inside the tent, cook in the early AM, and navigate to the showers/restroom at night.

If you are more inclined to really like flashlights or be a budding flashaholic, there are so many other choices. Either of the Fenix lights you mentioned will serve you well. Additionally, there are a whole host of others out there as well. Generally, the higher powered lights are not really needed for camping. Also, forget the Maglights. Way too heavy and the alkaline batteries are not very effective in cold temps. Car camping in the Spring/Summer maybe.

If it is a couple of months from now, it sounds like you will be camping in the winter, ie SNOW! If you plan to be in cold temps, look for lights that will let you use lithium AA batteries. HUGH difference in effectiveness.
By the way, if you are camping in the Valley, an occasional trip to the Ahwahnee Hotel will allow you to wash up with hot running water in the restrooms!
Ditto all this. First time there? Headlamp is good whether in the valley or backcountry. The REI stuff is "good enough" - PrincetonTec is popular. I've used some old light with 3 5mm LED's for years.

You may want to also consider somethign with a beam that can reliably reach 40 or so yards. The black bears are notorious for getting into things (trash cans, coolers, your car) - listen to the ranger speeches. But, a good light will be helpful to see fi that bump in the night was a bear, deer, person or gopher. The weaker LED headlamps just show creepy glowing eyes.

Ideally, if you buy 2 lights, they'd use the same battery. Bring in what you need - the valley has a store, but things are a bit pricey.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
... At the end of this year, my friends and I will be going camping in Yosemite National Park in California....

You don't give a lot of detail about your planned trip. If you're camping in the valley and it's like it's been on my visits you don't really *NEED* a flashlight. You should have a light just in case something unusual comes up, but on a typical visit there will be enough spill light & fixed lighting you could get by. (Of course, in a couple months maybe the crowds will have died down and things will be different. I hope so, you'll have an even nicer visit.)

You've got to remember you're dealing with flashaholics here and we tend to cater to those with the addiction. For a valley trip you could go as simple as a Fenix E01 (or Arc or equivalent.) I always have one with me and would be using it most of the time. I'd then add a headlamp, going hands free really makes some tasks easier. There were several suggestions for headlamps above. Next I like a multi-mode single AA LED light. (Quark MiniAA / AA, Fenix equivalent, etc. depending on which interface you like most. Extra nice is neutral or warm tint.) These give longer runtimes with the AA battery, are still compact & easy to carry, and if you crank them up they can do as "bump in the night" lights. Of course as a flashaholic I'd bring a real bump in the night light, though I'd probably never turn it on. (The "cost is no object" light in this category right now seems to be a Surefire M6 with Will's regulated battery pack. I'll probably be sticking with a tweaked D-size Maglite or my budget HID.)

Some non-flashaholic thoughts & options: The Mag multimode 2AA and 3D LED light set, (I think $30 at CostCo right now,) should cover any situation you'd face. (Not quite with flashaholic style, but solid & fairly inexpensive.) The single AA Eveready headlamp is quite usable, even if it isn't a Zebralight, (I think less than $20 at Target, I caught an online sale.) So are the single AA & two AA LED lights from Eveready & Coleman. (Two brands Target often have in stock.)

Whatever you choose, have a good safe trip!

abras

Newly Enlightened
I don't know any multi-modes light with UI easier than Zebralight (mine is SC50w). Such a joy to play with. Very thick walls. I have 12 branded lights and no one could compare. With only one slight click you get any mode you like.

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
Get a Rayovac Sportman Extreme LED Lantern, and a Maglite 2D Rebel, if weight is not a big problem, and both run on D batteries.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
For a good value-for-money general purpose multimode AA light I like the ITP A2 EOS or Maratac AA in Alu (same light internally, slightly different exterior treatment). The ITP Is available from several different CPF vendors, remember to use the CPF discount code.

Headlamps are very useful if you need to use your hands doing something (besides holding the light).

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for a first time flashlight you should stick with AA. When people here recommend CR123 or 18650 lights keep in mind these lights can be obnoxiously bright for night time. Especially when camping or hiking with other people. Be mindful not to wreck the night vision for other people trying to appreciate the night time.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Personally, I don't skimp on camping gear, especially what it comes to gear that is survival related, like a flashlight.

That said, I'd get a SureFire G2 or G2L. A dozen CR123's are affordable, and won't leak in your light like I have had so many alkalines do.

In fact, I'd take a hard look at Cabelas XPG-N LED lights.