Lumamax L1 `dimming ` problem

buster321c

Newly Enlightened
Hiya . I have a Surefire Lumamax L1
Yesterday the light seemed to `flicker` somewhat and i have had trouble getting it to stay on . This was reinforced this morning , when at 5:30 am , i changed the battery 3 times ( i have a mount to attach it to my bike ) to get any light at all . Its did`nt work for long and i gave up on it . Could it be i have 5 `duff ` batterys ? or could there be a problem with my light ? I am eager to get this sorted as i shoot , and use the light attached to my scope when `lamping ` . Can i get the torch `tested ` anywhere , and if i need parts / repair , are they easily avaliable ? I have a green head , and a white head with the torch which are very handy , i am very keen to find a red one if avaliable , or can i get a different make head as a replacement . Thanks in advance , Buster

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Problem ??

Your best bet is to call SureFire. The L1 is generally a very fine light and SF will take care of you with regards to any issues.

Regarding problem cells, it would be doubtful to have a series of bad ones like that, but what was the manufacturer of the cells?

BTW, your pic is slightly too large, you need to resize it to 800x800 maximum size.
You might just want to delete the pic entirely, as the SF L1 is a relatively well-known light around here.

Last edited:

buster321c

Newly Enlightened

Well to be fair the cells i initially used are just some cheap re-chargable ones . But this morning i changed for some decent ones , energiser , panasonic and duracell . Im in the UK , so would there be a UK based surefire dealer i could contact you think ?

Kestrel

Flashaholic

If you've used RCR123's, technically that is out of warranty, as they are generally considered to be 3.7v instead of CR123's which have a voltage of only ~2.5v under load (which is what the SF L1 is rated & designed for). Many folks have used the higher-voltage RCR123's in this light, but I have no particular experience with that.

Or have you been using the 3.0v rechargeable cells? Those are much less common and aren't all that popular, but I figured I should ask anyhow.

BTW you might want to edit your thread title to better reflect the topic of your thread.

There are a number of UK folks here who might be able to better answer your location query, but if you were to try to contact SureFire, a phone call would still be best - e-mail is often not effective at addressing problems with SureFire.

buster321c

Newly Enlightened

Thanks , its definatly the CR123 that ive used . I have e-mailed Surefire , and will see what tommorow brings . ANd just to say , ive just tried the green head which seems much brighter than the white . Maybe the head is `faulty ` ? Thanks for the reply , its much appreciated .

prof

Enlightened

but if you were to try to contact SureFire, a phone call would still be best - e-mail is often not effective at addressing problems with SureFire.

CALL them. I know it's long distance but lots of people here suggest the same thing--call them.

Did you try cleaning all the contact points (switch, etc)?

buster321c

Newly Enlightened
i will call them , when i get the chance . And yes i did clean the contacts . Thanks for the reply .

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
You stated that you originally used rechargeable cells, and then you used primary cells.

You then state that you used CR123's... so which is it?

If you did use rechargeable cells, it is possible that you have damaged the circuit, hence why it doesn't work properly anymore.

I think you need to clarify before you expect answers with a diagnosis...

buster321c

Newly Enlightened
Spoken with them today , the return process has started , im awaiting the relevant forms to return it . The thing they did ask is have i modified it in any way :huh: , which is beyond me to be honest :D . I would be interested in a `red head ` for it if anyone could point me in the right direction thanks for all the help , Buster .