12-Hour Blackout - Lessons learned - What light(s) is most useful?

HIDblue

Enlightened
Last night we lost all power from 6:30 pm to 6:30 am the following morning. Here's a couple things, specifically flashlight related, that I noted during the 12-hour black-out:

• I found myself using my smaller (1xAA or 1x123) EDC lights rather than the larger multi-battery lights
  • Medium and low modes were the most useful and were predominantly used for extended periods
    • I only found myself using high/max sporadically since the lights tended to get very warm after extended use on high/max
  • Holding any of my lights for more than 20-minutes at a time tended to get tiresome and old very quickly
  • Tailstanding lights and lights with diffusers were invaluable
  • Having a relatively small-stockpile of rechargeable and primary batteries was both useful and reassuring
Specifically, I rotated through a bunch of different lights, but I found that I used the following lights most often throughout the night:
  • Lumapower Incendio V3 w/diffuser (w/flat-bottomed diffuser on medium)
  • JetBeam BK135A (tailstanding on medium)
  • Fenix PD20 (tailstanding on low)
  • JetBeam E3S (tailstanding on low/walking around on high)
I had the Fenix PD20 tailstanding the longest on low for over 7 hours and it was still cool to the touch. The low setting on the PD20 was more like the medium setting on the BK135A. The Incendio with the diffuser was great with the flat bottom and served nicely as a quasi-lantern. And I used the E3S for walking around in the dark also.

After yesterday's experience, I learned that I really need to buy a quality battery-operated LED lantern for ambient lighting in rooms during blackouts. Tailstanding lights are fine, but they get knocked over very easily. A headlamp probably would've proved useful as well.

An evening without the TV, computer, internet was a little odd. You never know how addicted/dependent you are to technology until you have to do without it.

And most importantly, my wife finally realized that my odd little flashlight collection actually does serve a purpose outside of work. :naughty:

What light(s) have you found to be the most useful during an extended blackout? And why?

dosmun

Newly Enlightened
Cool info. You really aren't sure what you will use until "the time" comes. I agree that the low medium brightness is most useful indoors especially when battery life may come into play.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tail-standers, plain and simple. I set them down on tables or shelves, etc. In my blackout experiences they don't get knocked down. But hey, at least they're not candles. That would be a big :shakehead

Multimode/low mode lights are a big plus, since they can run decently on Alkaline batteries which I usually have a platter of.

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
As you mention, LED lanterns are invaluable. I especially like the ones with adjustable brightness for my kids who are afraid of the dark.

In terms of flashlights- I like the MD2 with the M60 for outside (looking for trees down on wires, etc.) and very low level lights (Arc AAA, Fenix E01) on the inside.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have hurricanes here. I have a bright light for looking outside. For everything else, I rely on my ZL H501.

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

HIDblue

Enlightened
As you mention, LED lanterns are invaluable. I especially like the ones with adjustable brightness for my kids who are afraid of the dark.

In terms of flashlights- I like the MD2 with the M60 for outside (looking for trees down on wires, etc.) and very low level lights (Arc AAA, Fenix E01) on the inside.

Hey Pharmer Mike, now that I'm in the market for one...what kind of LED lantern do you have and would you recommend it?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nothing finer than a little outage to exercise your lights. Low power ceiling bounce is very effective. As far as lanterns go, I really like the old Energizer Accent Lanterns. They run forever on 1 D battery. Unfortunately they haven't been available for a few years.

DSC04927.jpg

Geoff

scout24

Flashaholic
Low flood rules! +1 on the Zebralight H501, I own two now. Clipped to your collar or waistband, or "tailstanding" laying on the clip, they're leaps and bounds above the headlamps my son and I used Boy Scout camping. 1xAA format is great, and they'll take any type AA you can find. NiMH, Alkaline, 14500 Li-ion. More than bright enough on high to light a room, annd the low lasts quite a while. Well worth the money IMHO.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A warm-tint light is invaluable for a family room; the warm and cozy hue is much more welcoming and relaxing than a cold and clinical LED. My Quark MiniAA Warm is the go-to living room light.

Don't forget a radio - being able to tune in to your local news AM station can be crucial when there's no other means to get information, and a nice morale booster when there's nothing else to do.

liquidsix

Enlightened
I've only had to deal with a blackout for an hour here or there (maybe once or twice a year).

Holding the light does get old, and when you have to do something handsfree (which is almost always), none of them are nice to hold with your teeth.

If I'm in the dark for a long period of time (like camping) I eventually resort to my Zebralight H501w. It's nice to have light everywhere you look, but I always blind the people I'm with.

I'd like to see some decent LED based lanterns with features similar to most of the quality lights we see here on CPF: tough, multi-mode, the latest LED, highly efficient circuitry and runs on popular batteries, or 18650s. As well they should have some kind of optional diffusive screen so it's not hard on the eyes.

Lets see that surefire nitrolon polymer lantern that runs off 2 AAs with a mode selector dial!

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, takes me back to 2 years ago when I checked into the Halifax (Novia Scotia, Canada) Airport Hilton Garden Inn in November, snow storm and power was out. I've since changed my profile to low floor. Anyway - with a reservation the keys were all made and we had rooms. The hotel served sandwiches & salads at no charge and many people stayed in the lobby - many people using cell phones for light.

Flashlight - I had my first custom light, McGizmo EN Mule (since replaced by oil slick mule, have Ti mule as well). Anyway, the Mule spent the night tailstanding on the beer tap in the bar area (some Hilton Garden Inns have bars in the lobby area). Went through 3 or 4 RCR123s that night and ALOT of beer - my flight wasn't until the next afternoon. When I came down for breakfast I thought I recognized one of the servers from the previous night - she recognized me and said I was "the life of the party". I made the mistake of telling my wife that at a later time & she wasn't too impressed.

Mule - flood. Ran on high all night. My Ti mule has a high CRI LED and would be REALLY sweet for that duty.

I use my lights daily in industry & it's REALLY nice to have a BRIGHT light (Oveready M2-50 natural today, zer rez tail). But after 10 or 15 minutes of it being on and it's pretty HOT. For close up work in the mill though, low to medium light.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Having 3 dogs, all with very happy and wagging tails, we are accustomed to knowing how and where to place things to avoid being knocked over. When we have had power outages, candles get lit in every room in the house if it is at a time of day or night where we will be awake for a long period of time.

Until I got on this kick of flashlight and shiny things, I had a Fenix P2D that I used as a tail stander to play some board games, or that I hung from a floor joist in the basement to shine down on my reloading equipment.

Now that I have more than enough flashlights for my family and several neighbors, I will still light the candles, but I will probably throw on a ballcap and hook my Surefire E1L to it and use that. I will also be using my Fenix TK10 with white wand attachment to tailstand and fill a room with light.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gone through these a number of times in the past few years and find that three types of lights have been of most use for us. First is the LED Sportsmans guide lantern which we use to light the main room we are in. Next would be the single LED puck lights we scatter through the house to turn on as we go to use as "candles". Lastly would be our LED headlamps. Those things are worth their weight in gold for doing chores in the dark, or even readin they seem to work better than the lanterns because of no cast shadow.

Both my wife and I tend to keep and use a Photon Microlight II in our pokets for home navigation from room to room.

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
The H501 is useful with it's 100% flood but I have a couple of things against it in this situation.

If you live with anyone the H501 will annoy the hell out of others with the light more often than not shining in their eyes. - If you live alone then not so much a problem. Ceiling bouncing is a great way to set a room alight with light without the occupants being blinded. But as the H501 is a flood light it will not be very effective used like this.

For me the ideal would be a tail standing light shone on the ceiling. Long run times would favour over total lumens. The AA form factor would be my choice due to the abundance of them being around the house, 2xAA would also be more choice of format for that extra runtime.

Away from flashlights.. I would suggest every home needs the Varta 300 lumens LED lantern (Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300-Lumen to those in the other part of the world). It will provide much much more runtime than 12 hours without the fear of batteries running out of juice.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey HID,

Thanks for your observations; confirmation for me of the standards I've set for the small lights I buy... 1) Tailstanding, 2) clip capable, 3) clicky switch, 4) neutral tint (I know this last one isn't a necessity but merely my personal preference). I won't buy a light that doesn't meet these first three requirements.

I've gone through half a dozen different headlamps in the last couple of years, and NONE of them have been satisfactory to me. I have been considering buying a Zebralight headlamp, though I'd love to have a Fenix MC10 in a neutral white; that would be the perfect little task/utility light.

And +1 on the Rayovac LED lantern; got one a couple summers ago but forgot about it until a couple days ago... it was buried out in our pantry with a bunch of other stuff. I'm going to get at least one more for camping/preparedness purposes. (Just wish they made a neutral or warm version though.)

timbo114

Enlightened
Tail standers were all the rage at my house during our 3 summer blackouts.
Ceiling bounce rocks in pitch blackness :devil:

Gerber Infinity Ultra(s) on tables/nightstands
Sgt Burkett P7 on low in living room
Quark MiNi AA & CR2, w/Fenix LODs on medium for roaming indoors
Outdoor flood duty went to my Brinkmann Maxfires loaded w/Malkoff M60LFs (a perfect combo)

It really sucked having no AC in 90*+ heat for 60+ total hours between the 3 outages - BUT ... playing flashaholic for a real reason was quite satisfying indeed. ;)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I found myself using my smaller (1xAA or 1x123) EDC lights rather than the larger multi-battery lights.
Same here, when it comes to inside duty, the larger lights can be a drag (and I find their high outputs counterproductive anyway). I particularly like the 1xAAA's and 2xAAA's since I can hold them between my fingers like a cigarette if necessary. The very floody 1xCR123 T1A is great of course.
An evening without the TV, computer, internet was a little odd. You never know how addicted/dependent you are to technology until you have to do without it.
The second thing I break out (after the flashlights, of course) is the laptop and my spare mega-battery. A great opportunity to watch a DVD movie by 'candlelight'.

Edit: Oh, and 'momentary' is even more useful than normal - I find myself needing to turn my 'carry' flashlight on&off quite often.

Last edited:

HorseFilms

Newly Enlightened
My River Rock 3AA LED lantern works wonders.

I also like having LED candles around. I always grab a few around Halloween. They give off a nice, warm glow without the dangers of open fire.

A police scanner is also really handy to have around in those situations.