Problem with Peak Matterhorn - how to fix?

rwolff

Enlightened
I've got a Matterhorn (aluminum) that's been on my truck key ring for about 4 years, and lately it's not been turning on (or off) reliably. Sometimes it takes a couple tries of screwing down the head before it will light, other times (at night) I'll suddenly see a pool of light on the floorboards.

Generally it becomes more reliable after half a dozen screw down/unscrew cycles, and I've seen oxide on the threads. I suspect that the "won't turn on" is that there's oxide blocking electrical contact, and "turns on by itself" is vibration wearing through the oxide layer to give metal-to-metal contact when I thought it was turned off.

How do I get it working properly again? I have access to NYK 77 "terminal grease" - would putting some of that on the threads help? Would have posted in the manufacturer's corner, but there's no longer a section for Peak.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean the threads in the battery case, and on the head with some rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush (not your current one :sick2:).

Then deoxit, followed by the recommended thread lubricant. I think Curt uses anti-seize copper. If your matty has the removable battery neg contact, take that out and give it the same treatment.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also clean the contact with a pencil eraser. I have had similar problems with peak and no amount of cleaning helped but a trip back to Peak did. Try the cleaning first though, Peak customer service sucks.

I have had similar issues with Arc AAA's and a good cleaning usually fixes it.