126-LED video light review - useful for so many other things too..

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is too good to go unnoticed. It is technically a flashlight, though not in the usual formfactor that you expect. It is portable, because it is meant to be mounted aboard a professional video camera with a hotshoe, although in reality I have actually adapted other lights for that purpose via a microphone shockmount (you know, mikes are tubed shaped - so happens most of our favorite lights are too - what a coincidence!) But I've never even shot a single minute of video with my light, because it is so useful for many other things.

The Summary (first!)
------------------------
In a nutshell - 600+ lumens for as little as $40-45, variable power, runs on AA batteries, beautiful perfect even flood - what more do you want? This light is 100% flood, and meant to be.

Note that you must purchase the 'feet' separately. The light doesn't come with them and doesn't stand without them (it was meant for camera mounting).

The Light
-------------
This is a generic 126-LED light using an old technique that many CPFers are familiar with: instead of one or two ultra high tech, ultra high powered LEDs, it packs 126 of the little 5mm ones. Brute force works, because it claims ~600 lumens, and in ceiling bounce tests vs my Fenix TK40 with MC-E emitter, it's pretty close. It's darn bright, too. That's the difference - we are talking serious, SERIOUS lumens here.

p943204351-3.jpg

p551509286-3.jpg

The light is also fairly versatile when it comes to power sources. It requires the magic number of 7.4V - magic because to us, this is the number of two lithium ions, or six AAs. Indeed the light accepts both battery formats. Since it is designed for videographers, they supply mounting plates for various Sony and Panasonic batteries. If you would like a nice prepackaged sealed lithium ion battery pack, you can probably pick up some of these 3rd-party camcorder batteries from your favorite source to power the light, even if you don't have a compatible camcorder. Alternatively, six AAs, whether alkaline or NiMH, will do the talking. I am sure innovative CPF'ers will come up with various other power options for this light, perhaps even a fixed power source.

p642291437-3.jpg

p667068234-3.jpg

Now you don't always need 600 lumens, so the light comes with a nice dial that seems to be infinitely variable. It has no discrete steps, except for a click in the OFF position. Otherwise, you simply turn the dial until you get as much, or as little output that you need. There are some variations on the theme, with some lights having more LEDs, others having less. I chose the 126 as a good mix of price and performance, and because it's variable power I needn't worry about having too much.

p847658226-3.jpg

The light is housed in a generic plastic housing, for light weight (again, imagine it being camcorder mounted). I wouldn't subject it to a beating - it probably wouldn't come back in one piece. Still, the plastic construction is.. adequate for its intended purposes.

Three plastic diffusers, clear, pink and orange are supplied. The latter two are intended for adjusting color temperature so that it matches other light sources, but of more use to us flashaholics is the clear diffuser. It creates a perfect, even, flat flood of light. While you can use the light without the diffuser and still get away with only slightly visible beam artifacts, cameras tend to be more sensitive and will pick up the artifacts better, hence the clear diffuser. Do note that the diffuser does rob some light intensity. It also serves to protect the LEDs when installed. Diffusers are pretty straightforward, you just slide them into the holder in front of the light.

p800992187-3.jpg

p607107209-3.jpg

The Uses
----------
This is where things get interesting. The light can be angled into various positions via two screws on its foot, and the foot fits into a standard ISO hotshoe mount with a screw to tighten it down. I purchased mine together with the additional 'flash feet' because I wanted to use it as a task light and not so much a video light. Now I have the convenience of being able to point 600 lumens of light anywhere I want, in a battery powered source, that stands on its own feet.

p825319483-3.jpg

If you happen to have a lightstand, and I do (mainly for photography), the light can be mounted on the stand - thus making it a portable worklight. You could point it up at the ceiling as an area light, or you can direct it exactly where you want it. Remember those 500-watt incandescent worklights that you could place anywhere within reach of their AC cord? Forget the burns, forget the heat, forget the cord..

The lightstand is shown retracted so that the photo won't span two heights of your screen. The two little clips in the center allow me to rack it up to a 2 meter height.

p647853741-3.jpg

Emergency preparedness is one use for this light. Buy a few since they are cheap (roughly $45 - I know some of us spend FAR more than that on lights), throw them around inside the house. As their construction implies they are NOT waterproof so good luck using them outside (that's what all your regular waterproof IPX8/IP67 flashlights are for!). Buy a ton of cheap AA batteries, and away you go.

The lights even have a test button on the rear with four red LEDs. On fresh batteries all will light to indicate full capacity, as the batteries run down, fewer LEDs illuminate. Great as a 'fuel gauge' to see how much runtime you have left.

p577914369-3.jpg

Ceiling bounce test, as requested..... (I managed to convince 3 lights and a box to pose). All shots ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/15 sec

TK40:
p108744894-3.jpg

126-LED with diffuser:
p284479906-3.jpg

126-LED without diffuser:
p20474593-3.jpg

I think the test is reasonable, but doesn't quite capture the whole story. The TK40 emits a much more concentrated beam, thus more of it reflects off the ceiling, whereas the 126-LED scatters light everywhere and some of it doesn't make it to the ceiling - you can see the scene is partially lit by direct light.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. Definitely that is not a simple "shower head".... :D
I'd like see a celing bounce test vs your Fenix TK40 with MC-E emitter.. :popcorn:

Cheers,
Dioni

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
Where do you get such a light? I am only familier with the company Litepanels, of which this appears to be a knockoff. I would love to have a constant light for video with my Canon 7d, but the litepanels are sooooo expensive. I actually have been doing more and more video with my DSLR.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for reviewing this interesting light. I can see using it as a worklight in the garage and around the house and attic. AA power with variable output and lots of light = NICE!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. Definitely that is not a simple "shower head".... :D
I'd like see a celing bounce test vs your Fenix TK40 with MC-E emitter.. :popcorn:

Cheers,
Dioni

Cool, let me see how I can arrange this without showing off how MESSY my place is, it's embarassing :aaa: :D

Where do you get such a light? I am only familier with the company Litepanels, of which this appears to be a knockoff. I would love to have a constant light for video with my Canon 7d, but the litepanels are sooooo expensive. I actually have been doing more and more video with my DSLR.

Dime a dozen on ebay, where I got mine. Well, maybe not a dime, but around $40. Search for "126 LED". Linkdelight carries them, so does DealExtreme, but I think DX is a bit more pricey.

:wave: from a fellow 7D user. All of the above shot using the 7D with EF-S 60 macro. No detail escapes that macro :)

Thanks for reviewing this interesting light. I can see using it as a worklight in the garage and around the house and attic. AA power with variable output and lots of light = NICE!

You summed it up perfectly... I never used it as a video light myself.. it's just too good to reserve only for the camera!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I thought of building one of these myself, but the problem of getting a housing, adjustable arm, enough LEDs and a battery holder, a driver and a variable-power driver at that, into a package below this cost, is difficult. Add in manpower cost and I'm really losing out.

My original design would have used a slab of aluminium, some Cree XR-E's, and it's quite easy to reach 900 lumens with four Crees driven 2S2P, but the variable power thingy isn't so easy to do.

As for the video cameras, it was actually much easier to stick a Fenix LD20 and diffuser into a microphone shockmount (which supplies the shoe) :D

HorseFilms

Newly Enlightened
I've used this light for several months and I really like it. A nice, portable daylight-balanced fixture for very little money.

The thing runs forever on one of the Panasonic 6-hour batteries that I use in my DVX100.:D

Gadsden

Newly Enlightened
I have the 126-LED video light too and am quite satisfied at the performance at this price. I'd like to find a more elegant solution for a flood light for my chest-mounted GoPro HD Hero video camera though. Looking through these forums now for a perfect flood headlamp that can be relocated to the GoPro chest mount. In the meantime, there is a newer LED video light that seems a nicer design than the 126-led version. Blog review of the Z96 here: http://cheesycam.com/z96-dimmable-dslr-led-video-light-vs-126-led/

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Magnetic diffuser attachment and the integrated tripod screw thread at the bottom make it very useful. More diffuse too even without the light-robbing panels.

For people using it as a worklight, just buy a cheap $20 tripod - the kind that we'd never trust a real camera to - but it would be fine for one of these lights.