EU bans incan bulbs - the story continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yavox

Enlightened
EU has banned the sales of incan bulbs in order to phase them out and force people to use other lighting devices, that are supposed to be eco-friendly. This has been discussed in this thread some time ago, but now we are going to have another changes - according to dailymail, the light sources are going to loose their wattage markings (thanks to new European Union rule) and will be rated in lumens only from September next year.

The brave people in Germany have already found a workaround that makes the lightbulb sales possible - they advertise them as heating devices, not light sources.

The battle continues...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
EU has banned the sales of incan bulbs in order to phase them out and force people to use other lighting devices, that are supposed to be eco-friendly. This has been discussed in this thread some time ago, but now we are going to have another changes - according to dailymail, the light sources are going to loose their wattage markings (thanks to new European Union rule) and will be rated in lumens only from September next year.

The brave people in Germany have already found a workaround that makes the lightbulb sales possible - they advertise them as heating devices, not light sources.

The battle continues...
I wonder why they want to link modern electronic-ballast fluoros with epilepsy caused by the old ones that flicker?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

The battle continues...
Luckily I have a large stock of bulbs ... Enough to last many years.

I understand that some lights including fluorescents use reactive power as well as non-reactive power ... The electricity companies at present only charge us for the non-reactive power that we use.

I also understand that electricity companies will eventually be fitting meters that will measure both reactive and non-reactive power so we can be charged for both.

I must check my stock of "heating devices encased in glass envelopes (BC , ES etc)" to make sure that I have even more than I need.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also understand that electricity companies will eventually be fitting meters that will measure both reactive and non-reactive power so we can be charged for both.

I must check my stock of "heating devices encased in glass envelopes (BC , ES etc)" to make sure that I have even more than I need.
I'd heard the same thing, here's someone who experimented with it.

clicky to Homepower.com

Edit: Computer power supplies have done this for years, to the tune of 100-500 watts for most systems.

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. It took me 30 seconds on Google to discover that the Daily Mail article was wrong. The EU has no intention of replacing Watts with Lumens on the packaging. They intend to make the Lumen rating "displayed more prominently." As far as I can see, a move that will encourage manufacturers to make the most efficient bulb. Why purchase an 11 watt bulb that produces 500 lumens when the other brand 11w bulb produces 600. Under current rules you could purchase a 60w incandescent bulb that only produces 50 lumens and you wouldn't know until you got it home and tried to read a book.

Secondly, I think you would have to be a looney not to replace your incandescent bulbs with more efficient versions. I have four 14w GU10 downlighters in my living room providing the same ( perhaps a bit more ) light than four 50w halogens. I get the same amount of light and pay 4 times less for it. You want to waste your money, go ahead and stick with your incandescent to go along with your gramophone and horse and cart.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
EU has banned the sales of incan bulbs in order to phase them out and force people to use other lighting devices, that are supposed to be eco-friendly. This has been discussed in this thread some time ago

That thread has been closed, with this comment from an administrator.

Let's honor the instructions of moderators and administrators, and not reopen a closed topic. This thread too, is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.