• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Turbosink kit - install a LED in your Turbohead

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found a Turbosink or turbo tower kit in my components drawer and don't think I have time or talent to put it together. This kit is designed for Luxeon focus, it's pretty old - it goes back a long way. I always thought I wanted to put a LuxV in my SRTH, but so far the SRTH remains unscathed and happily married to its MN16 :p

$25 shipped to UK/US/EU/Aus. Other destinations please inquire.

p218534309-3.jpg

p252276042-3.jpg

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea who made the Turbosink ?

Does it come with a negative contact spring ?

What size boards is the Turbosink designed for ?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Yclo made Towers have a ridge for the negative
spring to sit on. This one has smooth walls

See here

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/196823

The black derin plug is similar to the ones Arcmania sold
but they had knurling on the negative contact ridge.

I just need a few more details before I jump on this ;)

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
See here. The old version yclo tower (I assume it's a yclo tower since it's his post -- I suppose it's possible it is someone else's tower and yclo is simply providing measurements) in the link and the tower for sale both have the hole in the side of the tower base to run the ground wire.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right Justin, this Tower does appear to be the same one
as the one pictured in the Yclo thread you linked to :thumbsup:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool :)

Actually I myself have been trying to trace its origin - no secret that the metal is a few years old(!) and I've forgotten where it came from. Fortunately, aluminium doesn't seem to have an expiry date.

It should be a Luxeon tower as I intended it for a super-LuxV, I do recall that much.

The inside diameter was measured at 16mm, and the ridge inside the module appears to be 1mm thick, so if you want to squeeze a converter board all the way in, it should be 14mm. IIRC we only had limited options in those days.

I think it MAY be a Kiu turbosink but it is definitely very similar to yclo's old ones. There is a hole in the side as you have mentioned, I was wondering what it was for. But 2004 appears to be too early in the game (I think I got my SRTH later than that?)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/56768

No negative spring. You could buy a N2 from me and salvage the spring or ask if anybody has a dead MN-series lamp.

Justin, many thanks for your research :) I was searching all night without much success. Too many years, too many beers, and my memory ain't what it used to be :ohgeez:

PS: Cool.... I just found the incriminating evidence of me caught red handed with the Kiu turbosink :D

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/791813&postcount=19

..... in a U2 thread of all places....... :p

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
tx101, you might double check my old post in your thread on building an XP-G tower, but I believe that a Lux focus tower is the perfect height for an XP-G on a 2mm thick, 10mm round MCPCB. No need for any spacers or to grind down the MCPCB.

What LED are you thinking of using?

Latest posts