'Big' Flashlight using D-Cell Advice.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
I've been browsing the forums quite a bit looking for a good decent torch in the $100ish price range...
The TK30,40,45, olight m30 and some other models fits the bill. HOWEVER, I am really looking for a capable torch (as the names above or other) that uses D-Cell. So far, I've not come across a single model using those cells except the maglite.

Any users know of good flashlights in my price range using those cells?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
D cells don't provide many advatanges so they aren't used alot in many lights anymore. If that is really the format you want to go with, you should look into getting a malkoff maglite drop in.

alanjeep

Newly Enlightened
Tektite makes a expensive D cell light called Excursion LS4.
I don't know anything about it. Never even heard of Tektite until I saw them on How its made.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are in the same dilemma as everyone else... nobody is catering to the D-Cell crew... I love big lights and the best that I found are the Malkoff's and they are absolutely great but...

...it would be so much better if Gene made a 2, 3 or 4 cell light with a minimum of 2 levels. It would be great if his drop in's came with a couple of levels because the mag is a pretty outstanding host already.

Roland

Newly Enlightened
Search the forums. A good start for a maglite modification is called ROP.
A rop low can run on alkalines.
The real thing is to use six rechargeable D-cells and then use the ROP high bulb.

If you done that there are other mods too. Incans, LED's, ...
D-cells are hot now P7 and sst-50 and sst-90 are around.

JamisonM

Enlightened
I've been browsing the forums quite a bit looking for a good decent torch in the $100ish price range...
The TK30,40,45, olight m30 and some other models fits the bill. HOWEVER, I am really looking for a capable torch (as the names above or other) that uses D-Cell. So far, I've not come across a single model using those cells except the maglite.

Any users know of good flashlights in my price range using those cells?
If I were you, I'd start learning to mod. D cell may have high mAh, but they're still alkalines. All the runtime charts I've seen show that around 500mA draw from them is about as much you want to draw from them and still get level output. Start drawing more and output will start to go downhill in a hurry because of their high internal resistance. If you're talking about D cell rechargables then this isn't the case, though they have have their own cons. They're expensive compared to alkalines, and a good charger can cost a bit as well. Weight can also be an issue. D cells are heavy compared to lithium and AA rechargables. There's also the sheer size of lights that use D cells. Again, compare them to ones using lithium cells or AA rechargables.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Hum...So besides modding a maglite what are there really any options of torches using D-cells??
If not, what kind of cells besides AAs are inexpensive and offer a variety of torches?

I know of tk-40 and tk-45 using 8 AAs. Bit much of batteries but heh inexpensive!

aramid

Newly Enlightened
What kind of flashlight are you trying to replace, and what kind of needs do you have? You may be making the understandable mistake that a flashlight won't be bright enough or long-lasting enough for your purposes unless it's as big as what you're used to. Fortunately this is no longer always the case.

Pretty much the only reason people ever used D cells in flashlights was that alkalines smaller than that were only good for maybe 40 Lumens and a few hours of rapidly-decreasing output. With modern LEDs, a couple NiMH AA cells can pump out more light for longer than a big old Maglite or other D-cell light.

Obviously, if you just like the size and heft of the bigger lights, and brightness and runtime aren't a concern, a smaller light won't please you even if it's got the performance you need. If that's the case, though, there are plenty of lights like the TK-40 and TK-45 you're looking at which would still work nicely. Long-term, these shouldn't cost you much in batteries anyway, because you really ought to run such a powerful light on rechargeables. Alkaline AA cells still aren't very useful, and won't lead a long or happy life in a high-output light.

Last edited:

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
I dont own any big torch...Im looking into buying one...Preferably in the $100 range. I want a good all rounder (decent spill +throw). Obviously runtime is very important too :)

JamisonM

Enlightened
Hum...So besides modding a maglite what are there really any options of torches using D-cells??
If not, what kind of cells besides AAs are inexpensive and offer a variety of torches?

I know of tk-40 and tk-45 using 8 AAs. Bit much of batteries but heh inexpensive!
Besides maglite's rebel lights, Coast has a couple of D cell lights as does Elektro Lumens. Dorcy also has a D cell light. The most inexpensive by far is the maglite which you can get for around $30. A search at Bright Guy turned up this.

Last edited:

aramid

Newly Enlightened
I dont own any big torch...Im looking into buying one...Preferably in the $100 range. I want a good all rounder (decent spill +throw). Obviously runtime is very important too :)
This still doesn't really answer my questions:

1) How many lumens do you need? If you don't know, then what activity is the light going to be used for, or what other light (big or not) can you use as a basis for comparison?

2) Why D cells? What benefit do you see in big, disposable batteries as compared to smaller rechargeable ones? I've been looking at the Energizer data sheets, and it appears an Alkaline D cell can only push out as much power as a tiny little NiMH AAA, although obviously the bigger battery will give you longer runtime. Stepping up to a big stack of NiMH AA's gives you all the power and runtime you'd ever need, with no recurring costs for fresh batteries.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're out of luck mostly for a big d cell light that is as bright as tk40..etc, in $100 range. in stock off the shelf form.

from what i understood you want alkaline d cell light,
i,m not gona go into why you want d alk. cells, or d sized light).
to get anything close to what you looking for you need to mod a mag lite.
i'm talking about simple mods, just drop ins, no cutting soldering..etc required. thecnicly not even a mod, just replacing parts.
there are 2 ways, sst50 drop in that is sold here, 800lm on full, or terralux tle 300e drop in 700 lm, they are almost as simple to install as changing a bulb. since you want to spend about 100 on entire project, tle300 looks like what you need, new tle300ex is brighter than old type by about 100lm, it is also 3modes, run time can be long, you don't need 600lm all the time.
i have tle 300 i like it a lot, it is about 500lm, i have old type, single mode.
or you can add some $$ and get sst50 drop in,http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=287161, should be even better than tle, i don't have one, but ppl that do love it, and anything that guy builds is top quality stuff.

keep in mind, alk d will work (tle needs min 4 cells, or 6v) but not too long, my tle 300 ran for 20-30min at max brightness (max that you can achieve with d cells), than another hour or so gradually fading.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
D cell lights make great loaners in times of need or trouble. For example, a garden variety 3D Mag rebel will run many, many hours before quitting. The recipient of the light doesn't have to think of rechargeables, runtimes vs output levels, UI questions, heat concerns, etc, etc. Push the button and it's go time. The ability of the light to also be a lantern in candle mode is a great advantage too, one that is often forgotten. Ceiling bounce does not work nearly as well, and what if you don't have ceilings? Does the focus ability work well for me as a flashaholic? Heck no, I love smooth beams. But, if this was my only light and push came to shove, you'd bet I'd be glad the feature existed vs. not if I needed it.

If I was equipping Red Cross workers wading into a disaster zone, I would definitely consider D Mags. These folks have tons to worry about, and spare batts etc shouldn't be one of them. D cells are all about capacity when used in moderate drive lights.

I always keep a stock Mag or two for emergency loaners and family.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
@aramid:
1) Never had any "good" torches before. So, I really dont know how bright are x number of lumens to behonest. It going to be used for general use at night, fishing, and lighting of my yard which is quite big. So it has to have a decent spill and throw. Also, another important factor is that it has to have adjustable lights/settings.

2)Where I live, AA and D cells are common. You can buy a crap load of generic ones for dirt cheap. Like 12 AA batteries for less than a dollar :p
However, if I cannot get good torches for that kind of batteries, ill invest in rechargable ones. I can live with that if D-Cells are not that popular :)

@mknewman:
Way too pricey for me :)

@BarryG:
I dont see how much lumens/throw or if these torches have any possibility of adjusting the lights.

Thanks for your time and inputs guys :)

Last edited: