Maglite ala Streamlight?

twhitehouse

Newly Enlightened
I think I may be posting this in the wrong subforum, but since I am speaking specifically about LED models, it may fit... Admins, if I am in the wrong, please move my thread. Apologies in advance.

At work, (Auto shop) we have a Streamlight Stinger, with "C4 LED technology" (which, in our case, is actually an XR-E, not the K2 Luxeon, but I digress).

I am very impressed with this light's throw, I have an Ultrafire C3 XR-E, same tint as the SL, but obviously much less throw due to the reflector design. Again, I somewhat digress.

My main point is: I would love to build a frankenstein light out of a 3-cell C Maglite, into an XR-E or XP-E, but try to minic the smaller head of the Streamlight.

I know (or I think?) there are custom, giant heads available for Maglites, designed to capture extra lumens and throw them around in ways the stock heads were not made to, but what I wonder is, are there any smaller heads available, which would (like the Streamlight) be only slightly wider than the body tube itself?

The main benefit to me, would be to get to build such a light... and then of course, there's the awesome throw and converting a cheap Mag Incan into a Streamlight-like light...

I suppose it was defeatist of me, but I didn't even bother googling, "mini" or "small maglite head" as I figured I would just get results for the MiniMag replacement part.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Am I crazy? (Oh wait, yes I am... that's why I'm having so much fun here on CPF!!)lovecpf Otherwise, I may just have to go out and buy a Stinger.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If I understand your query correctly, you are looking for a smaller diameter 'C' Maglite head, but using an LED? I don't know of anything like that, but you might want to change the thread title of your post above (via the "advanced edit" button) to something more descriptive in that regard? You might get more assistance that way. :shrug:

Hope this helps,
K

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I don't know of one off the top of my head; however, I think that would be great! I'm envisioning something around 35mm, either for a big single optic (for MC-E, SST50, etc.) or a tri- or quad-LED optic.