New Light

JamisonM

Enlightened
About 3 months ago I built a collar light for the dog. It was to hang from her neck and light the road where we go on our nightly walks. It worked well for that purpose, but it was just impractical. So I took it off the collar and sat it on my desk. I soon saw myself going to it more than my L1D-CE or E01. I found it extremely useful when wanting to look under my desk at a fallen screw or pencil or when working inside a computer. It even works well for moving around a darkened house because of it's ability to light up an entire wall from from a relatively short distance. I also love the fact that it's just pure flood of light and feels pretty good in the hand. The only thing I don't like is having to unscrew the back to replace the batteries. Anyway, I thought I'd share it with you guys. Pictures are below.
5034940765_afb7fde4be_b_d.jpg

5035561164_72c11de5bf_b_d.jpg

5034940793_356b24c051_b_d.jpg

The 3x2 inch project box, switch, machine screws & nuts came from Radio Shack. The aluminum plate came with the project box. The warm white cree xpe came from LED Supply as did the micropuck. The springs came from past maglite mods of the switch. The lens is also leftovers from past maglite mods. All wire is from the micropuck. The plastic foam keeps the batteries in place. The LED is mounted on a simple piece of aluminum flashing. It doesn't serve as a great heatsink, but I never planed on keeping this light on for hours.

roadie

Enlightened
Nice .... !!!

u got better workmanship than me .. :sigh: i always end up with ugly projects .. :|

roadie

Enlightened
something i assemble abt a fortnight ago ....

33463_442582593285_659038285_4961505_4428843_n.jpg

its a warm mce from a p60 dropin which i fried the driver :(, hook up with some desoldering wire for heat transfer :confused:, with 3 x enelops battries, no switch, jus a tiny piece of paper on the battery .... :sick2:

jamie.91

Enlightened
so simple and effective, i love the feel of something i have made myself and that other people may not agree with the concept, i have the parts at home to make on of these exept the micropuck, could you please post a link to the micropuck you used, i would love to make one of these, looks pretty water proof aswell :thumbsup:

jamie

EDIT; thinking about it, a tripple xpg would be immense :D

JamisonM

Enlightened
something i assemble abt a fortnight ago ....

its a warm mce from a p60 dropin which i fried the driver :(, hook up with some desoldering wire for heat transfer :confused:, with 3 x enelops battries, no switch, jus a tiny piece of paper on the battery .... :sick2:
Dude, you gotta put a switch on it.

so simple and effective, i love the feel of something i have made myself and that other people may not agree with the concept, i have the parts at home to make on of these exept the micropuck, could you please post a link to the micropuck you used, i would love to make one of these, looks pretty water proof aswell :thumbsup:

jamie

EDIT; thinking about it, a tripple xpg would be immense :D
Here it is. You can also wire it in different ways. Here's the manufacturer's notes on that. I got an XP-G desk lamp with a micropuck in a buck configuration powered by a USB port on the back of my motherboard. I've had no issues with it since I put it together.

roadie

Enlightened
yea ... thinking of shifting it to another new host 'box' .... if i can find one that fits ...... will add a switch .... but wouldnt wish to spend more moni on it as its jus a mod , unless i find a better function for it ....