How many lumens does a bolt of lightning puts out?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this has been asked before, but how many lumens does a typical bolt of lightning puts out? It seems to be very bright, be it day or night.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that would require one honking integrating sphere! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we need the flux capacitor to make it work anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Enough thread hijacking from me. If I had a measuring device I'd be able to get a good reading--storms rolling through Central TX right now. Good lightning bolt every 45-80 seconds...

-Jason

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is every lightning bolt is an individual. Even in bolt type lightning there are sub types. The other problem is that light is effected by the law of inverse square (double the distance, its 4 times weaker), so how do you set a standard distance for measurement when you can never be quite sure where its going to strike. There, back on topic.

Dan

bigcozy

Enlightened
I live next to a big open golf course and we had a big time light show two nights ago. I noticed a tremedous difference in certain ground strikes, and I think it was related to whether they hit water (water traps on course). The ones that I think did were blinding and the ones that didn't were less bright. Didn't some university build a thing that shot small missiles up in the air to get struck by lighting so they could measure things?