Show me your inventive way of making use of your obsolete drop ins.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I have bought a few drop ins a while back but have no use for them at the moment. They are too cheap to be sold in the market. I know some of you must have some ingenius way of using these drop ins for other purposes such as converting them into a desk lamp etc...so show me the way.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I'll just tack myself onto this thread - a 'lamp fixture' that takes P60 dropins and converts 220V AC to 4~6V DC would be the bomb. Anyone know of one?

offroad

Newly Enlightened
I usually buy a Surefire G2 and pop in the drop in, then gift it.

Obsolete for us is beyond cutting edge for others.

Good idea, Solarforce L2 or L2R would be even cheaper though depending on the voltage needs of the drop in.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
solarforce l2 and a a cheap asperic lens from dx. Paint the reflector black, replace the glass with the asperic lens, and its a toy:popcorn:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll just tack myself onto this thread - a 'lamp fixture' that takes P60 dropins and converts 220V AC to 4~6V DC would be the bomb. Anyone know of one?

Easy. Rewire a lamp to a 5V wallwart and away ya go.

Safer than messing around with direct AC/DC conversion.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave a Mini Maglite fitted with a 3-LED Nite-Ize drop-in to an electrician doing work at our house recently.

He was using a dim, stock Mini Maglite. I asked him if he ever thought about replacing his flashlight with an LED model. He replied that wanted a flashlight which fit his old belt holster so I gave him a flashlight which fit perfectly. The electrician seemed pleased and gave me a good deal on the bill. :)

He was using my Nite-Ize upgraded flashlight when he came over a couple of weeks later to do another job for us.