Can the iTP a1 eos take 3.7v RCR123's?

Cookieking

Newly Enlightened
a friend of mine got for me the iTP a1 eos the 203 lumen version for my birthday my question is i have some 3.6v rcr123a batteries but i don't see anything saying weather to use 3.0 or 3.6v and so on. should i order some 3.0v to be safe?

edited by Greta: link removed - read policies on advertising
subsequently edited by Kestrel: changed thread title to assist the OP

Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
:welcome: Cookieking.
As your thread title implies a battery question for the /Batteries-Electronics/ subforum, I have changed it to be closer to what your actual question is.

I am generally unfamiliar with your light, however 3.0v rechargeable cells have a number of design compromises and are quite often an inferior configuration. Someone may come along who would be better able to answer your question regarding your new light. In the interim, I would highly suggest using the search function with the keywords "iTP a1 eos 3.7v LiIon RCR123" - I believe you will find some useful information there.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
To put it simply; yes you can. But don't use high for too long at once or it can begin to overheat which can shorten the lifetime of the led.

artec540

Enlightened
a friend of mine got for me the iTP a1 eos the 203 lumen version for my birthday my question is i have some 3.6v rcr123a batteries but i don't see anything saying weather to use 3.0 or 3.6v and so on. should i order some 3.0v to be safe?

edited by Greta: link removed - read policies on advertising
subsequently edited by Kestrel: changed thread title to assist the OP

My A1 has been run on RCRs since it was new and it hasn't complained. But as has been pointed out elsewhere, it gets hot faster than on CR123s when it's on full bore. I haven't found this to be much of a disadvantage because I don't often need to run it on high for more than a few minutes. If it gets hot, you can always run it on a lower setting for a few minutes.
Personally, I think the advantage of the extra available output is well wort the minor compromise

joe1512

Enlightened
I have run my A1 on RCR123 for 6 months with no problems. Yes it does get hot, but that is going to happen anyways. Even on medium it will eventually heat up. Im sure with a CR123 it will also heat up, though more slowly.

Considering it is a keychain flashlight, you shouldnt need it on High for extended periods anyways.

An RCR123 is nice because you can always recharge it and top off the voltage for a good consistent output vs a CR123 which will lose some voltage and thus brightness.

I will say to use PROTECTED RCR123 if you can. Otherwise, be sure to recharge often. This is because there won't be any regulation on the A1, so overuse will cause it to drop below 2.7 Volts which is VERY BAD for a lithium ion and can make it unstable.
It is worthwhile to buy a trustfire protected battery for the light.

Cookieking

Newly Enlightened
HEY THANKS! i was worried about it going poof. i shouldn't be using it on high often.

my main use will be walking from my driveway to my home and walking the dog.

and its also a backup tactical for my handgun

pounder

Newly Enlightened
I've used 16340's on mine for about a month..it's great! gets hot on high after about 2-3 minutes, but it really isn't all that bad..medium is enough for most tasks for an EDC..

don.gwapo

Enlightened

:welcome:.

I know you got the A1 stainless steel cree-R2 version since you mentioned that it has 203 lumens while the cree-q5 aluminum version is 190 lumens.

As everyone mentioned here, you can run it both on primary cr123a and rcr123a.

Just don't run it too long on high though, it will heat up faster and may overheat reducing the lifespan of the led. And it will take a little longer to cool down since its stainless steel compare to the aluminum version.

Cookieking

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:.

I know you got the A1 stainless steel cree-R2 version since you mentioned that it has 203 lumens while the cree-q5 aluminum version is 190 lumens.

As everyone mentioned here, you can run it both on primary cr123a and rcr123a.

Just don't run it too long on high though, it will heat up faster and may overheat reducing the lifespan of the led. And it will take a little longer to cool down since its stainless steel compare to the aluminum version.

i didn't even think about the cooling time with the SS(stainless steel) versus the aluminum,
that comment will hopefully keep me from comparing it to my other aluminum lights and saying something stupid about it staying hot for a long time.