Where can I find handgun training classes and a book/class on my rights as a citizen?

fire-stick

Enlightened
To clarify, I want to take a class on the use of a handgun in a self defence situation. I currently have a CCW permit and carry daily, and am well versed with the basic use and maintenance of my fire arm. I am looking for training in a self defence senerio.

I would also be interested in a book/class on my rights as a citizen specifally concerning interaction with law enforcement.

I live in Indiana, if you need to know my county/city address I'd be happy to PM that to you if you might know where I can find some of these resources.

Sorry for spelling errors! LOL

Thank you all, and have a great hump day!

God bless!

jimmyjames

Newly Enlightened
The CCW class you were supposed to take B4 you got a CCW (although your state might not require one I guess) should have spelled out in bold black & white what you can and cannot do in a self defense, defense of others and defense of property which varies from state to state.

For handgun defense training, check out the Outdoor Channel on Wednesday nights. They feature at least one shooting academy every week. There are lots of schools in AZ and FL. Also look into shooting an IDPA and or IPSC match locally. Go to IDPA and or USPSA websites for club/facility look up for your area. Guarantee there is at least one club close by shooting each of those disciplines. The kind of class you are talking about is what IDPA is supposedly all about. Sorry I can't recommend a particular school as I have never attended one. After shooting USPSA/IPSC for 10 years, all those schools look boring as heck and are taught by IDPA and USPSA has beens, wanna be's and never was izs. Seriously before laying down your hard earned money, ask the instructor or school how many local, regional and national titles they won in either sport.

JustDave

Newly Enlightened
The NRA is a great resource for training and information. Something to check into, and I encourage you to become a member if you're not.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
A class is one thing, but using a firearm in a panic situation is an entirely different situation.

My suggestion to you, if you are already familiar with using a firearm and are comfortable in it's safe use, is to join an IPSC or IDPA league. It is designed for course competition and hones your instinctual shooting skills as well as accuracy in a multiple target environment. You are not simply sitting there shooting at a spot at 15 yards. They swing, move, require odd shooting positions etc. You are also required in some competitions to use your strong side, weak side and double grip.

It is applied shooting for the real world. I feel it is the best way to prepare yourself. Classes are fine for familiarization and broadening your mind to possible situations that may come up, but lets face it. Panic is panic and the last thing you will most certainly do is say to yourself "Now what did he say again?" Classes cannot hurt. Please do not mistake that. Real world use of a firearm in constant weekly training is far better. Better to hit what you aim at the first time, then "spray and pray".:thumbsup:

mrartillery

Enlightened
Twin blade makes a good point, also you need to practice your draw over and over again from the holster position in which you plan on carrying it, this way if you actually have to draw and use your weapon, you're not fumbling for it but rather it will be more on a natural fluid motion which will help eliminate errors in a panic situation.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
And furthering your reply, IPSC, IDPA and the like improve on those skills specifically due to the fact that you start at the line with live fire right from the hip. Puts a lot of emphasis on that first accurate shot.:thumbsup:

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
I just finished Tactical Response's "Fighting Pistol" 2 day course earlier this month. Even though I've been an avid shooter for 25 years and have carried a handgun almost everyday for the past 10 years it was without a doubt a mind-opening experience. The lectures alone--dealing with mindset, legal use of force and what to do after a shooting--were worth the price of the class. You can see my amateur review of the class here. You can view their current schedule along with classes offered here.

Whatever you decide, congratulations on seeking out professional training...99% of firearm owners never do.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Training = Thunder Ranch.

They'll be able to assist you regarding your rights.

Check the web for Gabriel Suarez, Chuck Taylor, Massad Ayoob, John Farnham, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch. These guys and lots of others know what they're doing and many of them travel around the country conducting classes. You get what you pay for.

I respectfully disagree about IPSC as a trainer. IPSC is a game. It's about going through the course as fast as possible. They use timers and you end up doing things like shooting from the middle of an open doorway because its faster. The problem is this sort of thing is likely to get you killed. But if IPSC is your practice, you'll do what you've practiced.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I respectfully disagree about IPSC as a trainer. IPSC is a game. It's about going through the course as fast as possible. They use timers and you end up doing things like shooting from the middle of an open doorway because its faster. The problem is this sort of thing is likely to get you killed. But if IPSC is your practice, you'll do what you've practiced.

Another main problem with IPSC is that the guns are modified to enable a competitor to win. Completely nothing like the stock or near stock handguns that are used for self-defense. For example, in IPSC, concealment isn't an issue. If you have a CCW, in some places it's illegal for your concealed firearm to print through your clothing, or to get exposed to the public while carrying it.

Something along the lines of a .380 small-frame auto might be ideal on a hot Summer day. A tricked out IPSC .45 auto? Not so much. (To put it mildly.)

IPSC can be fun competition. But it's not the best way to train for self-defense.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Don't SWAT, DEA, LEO's and other government agencies practice in a similar environment? Shooting at targets, walking a course, training with a large use a of TRIGGER time in a variety of obstacles and situations? Trigger time is trigger time. Proficiency is proficiency. Practicing in a variety of scenarios orients your mind.

If you need to defend yourself and are standing in a doorway to do so, you deserve to get shot. I think a little applied common sense will go a long ways here.

The first time a mechanic takes a transmission apart on a Chrysler minivan, he is given 12 hours (as an example) to overhaul that transmission. After he does it in 14 the first time, by his 18th overhaul, he is doing it in 8 hours. The key here is practice and repetition. If you are going to carry a gun, you had best know how to use it.

Detectives and investigators carry concealed. It is part of what they do. They also run the same courses in training as everyone else.

what does IPSC stand for? International PRACTICAL shooting confederation. Not shooting at dots from a bench shooting. Regardless if you are using a "tricked out 45" or a .22 rimfire, you are honing your skills. We also need to realize that these high end pistols in competition are designed for massive capacities, holo sights, low recoil, match grade barrels, improved ergo's etc. There is not a single CC .380 that will be worth a darn at beyond 20 yards in a panic situation. you have a 90% chance of something bad happening inside 15 feet.

It is called the proper tool for the job.

Just my humble opinion.:thumbsup:

I did want to ask if the gentlemen that were mentioned regarding course studies offer a shooting course with the course study?

Last edited:

TwinBlade

Enlightened
After reading my posts, I have made a large error. I meant to say IDPA, not IPSC. I have shot IPSC for a long enough time that I use it as a general term.

IDPA is what I meant to say. Sorry for the confusion.

IDPA has massive limitations compared to IPSC, and I agree, IPSC is a game.

If you really want to broaden your mind even further, get the book by John Lott, "More guns, less crime". Educational reading at it's finest for this particular area of interest.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did want to ask if the gentlemen that were mentioned regarding course studies offer a shooting course with the course study?

Actual trigger time is a requirement for all of Jacobe's classes above the basic CHL class.

Jacobe believes that his Personal Defense 1 class should be the class for CHL, and puts his money where his mouth is. If you take his CHL class and then later take PD1, Jacobe will credit the money paid for the CHL class towards the cost of PD1.

1wrx7

Enlightened
You could try looking around here http://ingunowners.com/forums/

Last Christmas I was lounging around and found a gun site for my state. I've learned alot from MGO, so maybe the link above will be a similar community:shrug: I even found another CPF member on MGO:party: After a quick look through it looks like they have info on training classes and laws there in Indiana. Hope it helps, and stay safe.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
One word, three letters: NRA. If someone suggested this, I missed it.

Wish I had an NRA. Instead I have something called the Liberal Party of Canada which is like an anti-NRA but with 10 to the 100 number of fanatics.

One word, three letters: NRA. If someone suggested this, I missed it.

Wish I had an NRA. Instead I have something called the Liberal Party of Canada which is like an anti-NRA but with 10 to the 100 number of fanatics.

The NRA opposed bringing the lawsuit in the Heller case, the most important case for gun owners in the history of the country. Had their advice been followed, the rights of gun owners in the United States would have been set back 50 years. With friends like that . . . .

bill