L4 versus E2E: The nuclear challenge!

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I have finally had the chance to compare the usefulness of both the L4 and the E2E as a daily carry as a nuclear plant employee.

A rather large portion of my day is spent wandering the corridors and open spaces of my nuclear plant checking various gages, pump oil levels, valve movements, etc. A quality beam of light is important.

There are times when the ambient light is almost bright enough, but I need a little extra to get a better 'picture' of what I'm looking at. If, for example, I need to accurately read numbers on a gage, the ambient lighting may be just dim enough to warrant a flashlight. In those instances the L4 seems to be a winner over the E2E. The L4 beam is a nice soft flood, which illuminates white-faced gages nicely. The E2E is a little bright for this application. But, the E2E can be used when angled off to the side, allowing side-spill from the light to illuminate the gage face.

There are other times when I need to look up into a dimly lit area, and the E2E is the clear winner here. The L4 simply does not have enough throw, when there is any ambient light, to illuminate objects more than 15 feet or so away, at least not in my experience with the permanent lighting we have around here.

Using the L4 to look inside breaker cubicles, switchgear, and computer cabinetry is a great choice. In these cases, the E2E can be a little too much light, washing-out objects I am trying to see. The L4's flood illuminates the entire cabinet nicely and wire colors are vivid.

I had planned on retireing my E2E to a peaceful life around my house, without the banging around that an industrial environement promotes, however, I cannot. The primary reason is because there are times when I need to look at objects farther away than the L4 can illuminate.

The L4 works great when it is dim, but the E2E rules when ambient light is present. Both lights are extremely useful when used within their limits, but for my applications the E2E is not as limited. I'm sure I'll continue bringing both to work, as neither can completely replace the other for particular applications.

I'm glad I have both!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2E4ME,
I know what you mean, I use an A2. Best of both worlds. Both incands and LEDs have their respective places, right now any. We don't know how long that will last with the advancements in LED technology, but for now, use the tool that fits.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2E4ME-

Your experience is exactly what would have expected given the reports on this board. I also have a need for both types of lights. Since these are both small enough I don't think carrying both on the job would be overkill.

I now carry the E2e on duty. At some point in the future I will eventually carry both the E2e and either the SF L4 or the ARC LS5 (after I can compare the two). I have high hopes for the ARC LS5 when it is released.

GregR

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what plant do ya work at my uncle is a big shot at fpl i think he does somethink at turkey point

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for letting me post here everyone!

Raggie,

I work at V.C. Summer Nuclear in South Carolina, just outside of Columbia.

justjim

Newly Enlightened
E2E4ME,

Would one of the SL Twin Tasks adequately replace your E2E and L4 combo? The TTs combine
multiple 5mm leds with a xenon bulb. They even have a 2 cell lithium model that is probably similar in size to
the E2E. Perhaps the only disadvantage is that the multiple leds are nowhere near as bright as the L4.

-jim

AlphaTea

Enlightened
E2E4ME,
I also work at a Nuclear Power Plant (Ginna Station, outside of Rochester NY). I have tried various lights and have settled on the mighty G2. Matter of fact Im trying to push thru a purchase of 30 or so for general issue. I work in the RP/Chem dept and we usually have a bit of equipment to tote around.
A G2 is much prefered over a 2D light for size and weight. Yea, somtimes it is a little too bright but you can always put your fingers over the lens to dim it down.
I have an L4 but I am a chicken heart and afraid of loosing it and I dont think the plant would replace a $130+ flashlight. It does however have a maximum wow factor during show and tell!

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Alphatea,

Funny you should talk about the G2 and wanting to have it issued. When I stumbled on to this site I settled on the G2 for my workplace light due to it's non-conductive body and head. My plant wouldn't pay for the lights for everyone (they'd have to make everyone happy by purchasing 100+ lights!), but still every person on my shift of 12 people now has a G2 for their daily cary at the plant!

Once I showed my G2 to everyone on my shift, I got an order form together and everyone got at least one, some got two. I even have some other guys on my shift buying some of the bigger Surefire's. I may have addicted my entire shift.

Everyone loves them. If/when the plant comes out and says noone can use metal flashlights any longer, I'll use my G2, but until then I'll continue using the E2E and L4. The good news is the Operations manager is going to stock 123A batts for us, as there are people on other shifts using Streamlight's, Innovas, etc in addition to my shifts G2's using them.

James

John Frederick

Enlightened
These are the exact same thoughts I have on these two lights. Often at work or around the house I need a light when there is already a lot of ambient light present; either sunlight or overhead lights. In these instances the L4 is at a disadvantage: it doesn't always have the punch needed.
example...
I like to look down into the gas tank of my lawn tractor to see how much gas is left. The E2 can do this even with the sun directly overhead. The L4 just illuminates swirling particles of dust.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
James,
I run the RP Instrument Calibration Facility here and we are the single largest user of batteries on site. I make sure we have 4 doz 123's minimum. A lot of folks are buying their own lights and always come to me for batts.
In a year I will go thru about 40 D's, 350 C's, 120 9v, 200 AA, 600 AAA, and maybe 100 123's. That doesnt include the rest of the plant. Then there are the special batteries...
When we calibrate meters, any batt <80% capacity gets replaced.
As far as lights go I prefer my L4, but the G2 is just more suited for our work environment. I have a E2E with a P61 head modded by this_is_nascar (my absolute favorite BTW)that is insanely bright but it devours batteries. I carried it for a while but I was always worried about it running out of juice so I just carry it on special occasions.
Now I just EDC the G2. Lovin' every minute of it!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comparison! That is why you have to go with what best fits the needs of the job. At least the company is buying the 123s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif