Lumens Factory E0-9 or H0-9???

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm buying my first incandescent D26 other than the stock Surefire 6V lamp.

I'm torn between the E0-9 and H0-9. I wonder if the difference of 60 lumens is even visible?

I will probably use 2 X RCR123 since 35 - 40 minutes runtime with 3 primaries could get expensive pretty fast.

Will I even notice that either of these is brighter than the 80 lumen Surefire incandescent D26 I'm used to?

I know there are better bulbs available but messing with a reflector with set screws and bi-pin bulbs to insert is too much of a pain in the neck for me...plus I can't buy one all put together on a website that I can use a Visa Card. I don't have Paypal and going to the post office for a money order is a pain.

Any advice?

sawlight

Enlightened
Yes, you will notice a difference over the stock SF bulb. I have a 9p that I put the HO-9 in, it woke it up. But versus the P91, I've heard little to no difference, or the P91 is brighter/longer throw.
Even running two 18650's in an Ultrafire host, it's not enough to WOW me. I was hoping it would turn into a pocket flame thrower in that configuration. It's bright but the D26 select tint LED from LF I picked up in what I thought would just be a "host" is as bright on a single 18650.
So for the price, it's nice, but don't expect to be blown away with it.
Hope that helps some.

Edit: Also remember, these are TEN MINUTE run time bulbs, they get HOT!!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for bright, then definitely go with the EO-9. I had both and the HO-9 was ok, but the EO-9 has a nice white brightness.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't go wrong with the EO-9. Threw it in my stock Pila GL3 setup (with 300Ps) and I got nearly double the output of the 9V Pila bulb.:naughty: Guilt-free lumens as long as I don't break the filament in a catastrophic drop.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't run an EO-9 or HO-9 on two RCR123A's, you'll need to use IMR16340's.

The current draw of those lamps is too high for the RCR123A batteries, plus at that draw the IMR16340's would have much better runtime anyways.

I can't say that the EO-9 is hugely brighter than the HO-9, they are both pretty close. The IMR-9 is definitely a step up from either.

I've been pretty impressed with a couple of used DX 9 volt incan lamps I've tried as well, they are surprisingly bright.

Brigadier

Enlightened
For a true pocket rocket, the 6P/IMR-9/IMR16340 combo is hard to beat.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the above poster! :twothumbs

Except I have an IMR-E2 in my E2e that I sometimes EDC. It is even more of a pocketable rocket. :devil:

Quite a bit smaller and about the same output.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/259964

I do use the IMR-9 in my bedside light, run off of two AW IMR16340 cells in a C2-HA with a Z58 clicky.

I might have to include an IMR-9 vs. IMR-E2 in that thread someday. I don't think there would be that much of a difference though.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW RCR123 batteries will run the EO-9, and I thought the difference between the HO-9 & EO-9 was worth the change to use the EO-9.
You can't run an EO-9 or HO-9 on two RCR123A's, you'll need to use IMR16340's.

The current draw of those lamps is too high for the RCR123A batteries, plus at that draw the IMR16340's would have much better runtime anyways.

I can't say that the EO-9 is hugely brighter than the HO-9, they are both pretty close. The IMR-9 is definitely a step up from either.

I've been pretty impressed with a couple of used DX 9 volt incan lamps I've tried as well, they are surprisingly bright.

Brigadier

Enlightened
I don't know - 350 vs 500 lumens is quite a difference.

I agree with the above poster! :twothumbs

Except I have an IMR-E2 in my E2e that I sometimes EDC. It is even more of a pocketable rocket. :devil:

Quite a bit smaller and about the same output.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/259964

I do use the IMR-9 in my bedside light, run off of two AW IMR16340 cells in a C2-HA with a Z58 clicky.

I might have to include an IMR-9 vs. IMR-E2 in that thread someday. I don't think there would be that much of a difference though.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW RCR123 batteries will run the EO-9, and I thought the difference between the HO-9 & EO-9 was worth the change to use the EO-9.

It will if the latest protection circuit will light it up with a few clicks. Ask Mark or AW and they tell you not to even think about it. I'm just giving friendly advice here so you don't hurt yourself or your flashlights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
For a true pocket rocket, the 6P/IMR-9/IMR16340 combo is hard to beat.

What kind of runtime do you get?

Is it brighter than the P91?

Is the stock switch OK? I don't know what a soft start switch is or which incandescents require one.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It will if the latest protection circuit will light it up with a few clicks. Ask Mark or AW and they tell you not to even think about it. I'm just giving friendly advice here so you don't hurt yourself or your flashlights.

Is the P91 safe on 2 X AW RCR123? My 2 AW IMR16340 don't hold the same charge (one charges to 4.1 volts and the other only 3.9 volts) so I wouldn't dare use them in series.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the P91 safe on 2 X AW RCR123? My 2 AW IMR16340 don't hold the same charge (one charges to 4.1 volts and the other only 3.9 volts) so I wouldn't dare use them in series.

It sounds like something is either wrong with your charger or the batteries. Which charger are you using? I hope it's not the DSD charger. Also the IMR cells should be recharged as soon as possible after use and never discharged below 2.5V I believe..

Brigadier

Enlightened
What kind of runtime do you get?

Is it brighter than the P91?

Is the stock switch OK? I don't know what a soft start switch is or which incandescents require one.

Runtime is approx 10-11 minutes. But it gets so hot so fast, short tactical bursts is all I use it for.

I don't know if it is brighter than a P91, I've never used or even seen one in action.

Roger999

Enlightened
Then what do you use?
2X AW's IMR 16340 LiMn cells, they can provide up to 10C discharge whereas LiCo cells can only safely provide 2C constant discharge, the HO-9 the strongest bulb the LiCo RCR123 cells can run safely without using in short bursts.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I believe the HO-9 is even a bit much for P17500 LiCo cells. I did run an HO-9 quite a bit on a set of P17500's in a C3 a few years ago when the lamp came out and it did eventually damage the cells. I wish we could get IMR17500's someday. Also, the IMR cells run the lamps a little brighter than LiCo cells.

Latest posts