Suspicious of Ebay [or another rant]

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, just seems kinda weird to me. Seems that last few bids I've made, someone will try to outbid me, but stops when my max amount is reached and before I get out bid.
Then I just won yesterday on a item. It was something I wanted, but I only bid the current amount shown, not one penny over, and I ended up winning with no one bidding raising my final cost.
My max has been raised to its limit the last three times bidding before this final time that I got it. Guess it just irks me. there isn't any way they could know my bid amounts is there?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I won a Commodore CBM 8032 computer by a PENNY, and I won it at exactly my maximum bid. I figured I'd probably get sniped on it, but won it by a penny.

I don't believe that other ebay users can see your maximum bid, but sometimes I do wonder... things that make you go "hmmmm". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is "illegal" but a lot of eBay sellers have multiple identities of their own or friends that will bid up the price to raise the the price of the maximum "outside" biddder. It isn't as easy to do this as it used to be, but it isn't uncommon.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is wrong doing either one of two things:
Inflating a price beyond what the is needed to beat the second highest bidder. It is also just as wrong to try to keep legitimate bidders out by cospiring to keep prices low. Inflating and Deflating are equally wrong and makes me less inclined to participate.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bid in the last few seconds.
i have in mind what i will pay total for the item and snipe it.
eliminates the newbie nibbler and the shill.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
It is "illegal" but a lot of eBay sellers have multiple identities of their own or friends that will bid up the price to raise the the price of the maximum "outside" biddder. It isn't as easy to do this as it used to be, but it isn't uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they know the max bid someone has placed? As a seller I do not see that info.