Fenix TK 12 r5 artifact in lens

joehaya

Newly Enlightened
Dear All,

This my first post so pardon me if the jargon I use is not well received.:twothumbs.
anyway been lurking in this forum for a while and been buying quite a few flashlights, been curious abt chinese flashlights and having a local dealer in Town ( Sinagpore) , I purchased a Fenix TK 12 R5 around half a year ago for work. ( I also bought a PD20 Q5 together as it seem smaller and more EDCable):thumbsup: Im a marine vessel Surveyor, so its not a walk in the park with my lights. And anyone in the aft ballast tank of a large vessel will know that when your lights fail, You are in trouble. You virtually see nought.

I clean, grease and visually inspect my equipment after every use, My back up light is a Petzel XP helmet mounted( Cave proof= Marine proof :thumbsup:).

Of recent, my Tk12 began to show signs of a "misty" kinda artifact inside the lens. Its looks like it "steamed-Up" from within.I have since sent it back to the dealer, now it has been 5 weeks. Multiple attempts to email Fenix China have went unreplied. :poke:

Hmmm.... I am really on the fence now. Is this what i should expect from Fenix? I am aware of atomspheric temperture differences might cause a vaccum to induce this but it was subjected to none :shrug:

PS. the fenix cust service replied me the first time with the im so sorry to hear of what happened BS. No reply further..:sigh:
joeyhaya

Cheers,

Joseph

Last edited:

joehaya

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I am glad to finally recover my flashlight today from the local Fenix dealer aft nearly two months of waiting. Well nothing is perfect in the world and I have to accept it. i let the pictures speak for themselves.

joeyhaya

joeyhaya

These are the before sending to Fenix Pics.

joeyhaya

joeyhaya

And these are the ones today aft i got her back. The tint of the LED looks diff due to the exposure.. not because of the colour.

I actually called the Fenix factory and spoke to the customer service personnel in China, I must say that their service attitute is exemplary, however, attitute alone does not solve my issue. Placing it side by side with my other Feinix's, the "cloudy"artifact is still evident. But i guess i must make do with ot then.:drool::sigh:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that sort of 'cloudy ring' artifact showing on a few of my lenses and thought it was perfectly normal and not a problem as it doesnt seem to affect output or beam profile at all? :shrug:

Does yours have any effect on the actual beam of the light or is it just visible on the lense?

joehaya

Newly Enlightened
Red Forest UK,

The mist on the lens does affect the beams in the same way as a dirty camera lens affects resolution when taking pictures, with a back to back comparo with another tk12, its evident.

It might also suggest that a breach of some sort has occured in the Bezel of the flashlight, leading to vapour accumulating inside the lens.

Just my 2 cents worth ( Assumption).:sssh:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get that on some of my lights. It can occur when the led heat vaporizes oils and lube and it can condense on the inside of the lens.

joehaya

Newly Enlightened
I get that on some of my lights. It can occur when the led heat vaporizes oils and lube and it can condense on the inside of the lens.

Well I guess thats the end of it already then, since the flashlight has already been to the Fenix factory and then back again but the change is only minute, I guess I have to accept it as it is already.. you might have a point with the oil vapour thingy, but i am already using lithum grease which is suppose to be good with flashlights? :confused: if thats the case, I guess lots of us here will have this issue aient it?

:sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh: