Crabbing torch – is the Fenix TK45 overkill for what I need??

Jamjar

Newly Enlightened

I am looking for a torch to spot the ropes of the pots tied to mangrove trees, the sand bars up the creeks etc as well as the crocs in the water so needs to be able to have a bit of throw .

The torch needs to be able to run solid for at least an hour and a half on a fairly high beam and to be able to handle a bit of salt water spray on it and if possible not roll around too much on the seat if the boat is rocking.
It the last few days I have read hours and hours of reviews and the WOW factor is starting to make the grey cell strain in the head. I had tried to narrow the battery field down to 18650's as I have a few, but the TK45 takes AA's so I might have to up my stock pile of rechargeables in that range.

thanks
jamjar

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest something with more throw and output. The olight m31, thrunite catapult v2 or jetbeam m2s would fit the bill nicely.

All of them run great on 2x18650 and have huge outputs. The tk45 is more of a flood light and 8xaa isn't worth the trouble IMHO.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
With crocs around I would want the longest throw and spill as possible :D

Thankfully we have none in the UK apart from the odd sighting of 1 or 2 now and again that may or may not exist,could be an urban myth but all sorts are turning up here these days.:grin2:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am looking for a torch to spot the ropes of the pots tied to mangrove trees, the sand bars up the creeks etc as well as the crocs in the water so needs to be able to have a bit of throw .

The torch needs to be able to run solid for at least an hour and a half on a fairly high beam and to be able to handle a bit of salt water spray on it and if possible not roll around too much on the seat if the boat is rocking.
It the last few days I have read hours and hours of reviews and the WOW factor is starting to make the grey cell strain in the head. I had tried to narrow the battery field down to 18650's as I have a few, but the TK45 takes AA's so I might have to up my stock pile of rechargeables in that range.

thanks
jamjar

TK30? MC-E emitter with fantastic throw and 18650 powered. Close to the light output of the TK45 but more concentrated, which I think you would appreciate. It's variable output so you can dial down the power if you don't think you need so much.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what they say, two is one... I think you should get the TK-30 and a decent but inexpensive p60 light. I like my Romisen RC-M4. It's not a dive light for sure but fairly dunkable and if you burn out the module underwater a p60 module is plenty cheap. Throw is pretty good in the dark, good for about 200 feet or so. You can get both from 4sevens here. He's a reputable dealer with good upgraded Romisens. This combination is good since they both take 18650's.

Mike89

Enlightened
Get the TK40. All the output and throw you will need. After buying this light when it first came out, all my other LED flashlights are toys in comparison and are now left mostly in the drawers. I personally like the use of the highly available 8xaa batteries vs expensive specialty batteries. I use rechareables and have no issues with them, plenty of power and long lasting. Best flashlight purchase I've made to date (by a long shot).

Last edited: