CMG Infinity

d_clark

Newly Enlightened
Just had a dumb question, I have two CMG Infinity's One is Red, one Yellow. On the Red one the battery is Negative down, the yellow it only lights up when the negative is up (tried negative down, will not turn on) Is this normal? Also the Yellow doesn't seem very bright. I searched the archives, couldn't find anything related.

Well I am done rambling.
Thanks.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I "believe" the first generation CMG Infinty had the circuit designed so that the battery was installed with the positive "nib" down/away from the "business end" of the torch.

Those lights had a little "springy" metal tab on the circuit board that made contact with the negative end of the battery when you screwed it in. The newer generation have a little round circle/dot that makes contact with the positive end of the battery, which is installed with the positive "nib" up towards the "business end" of the torch.

Don't know what to say about your dim yellow LED. Mine's nice & bright...how old is the battery? Try a lithium cell!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yes, the yellow is very dimm but has an excessiver runtime and does conserve your night vision and will not disturb others with a blinding wall of light while sleeping. in mine, it is negative up.
I do not own a red one to talk about, sorry.
bernhard

EDIT: argh, Sigman, you beat me!
thanx for the info anyway, I seem to have a 1st generation yellow then ... and it is dim compared to, say an Arc AAA, but for me this is natural for a yellow LED ...

d_clark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Sigman.

I have a brand new battery in it, tried a lithium, no improvements.

Guess it is a good excuse to get a new light :)

d_clark

Newly Enlightened
The yellow one was supposed to be white, got the light after I was Mobilized, couldn't return it. Guess that is what I get for not doing my homework in the first place.

Probably wont buy another CMG, Just bought a Inretech for my AA mag so that will take the cmg's place.

Keep trying to convince myself I don't need a ARC LS.... but it is hard.

chumley

Enlightened
charliek, I have both the arc AAA and the ultra. They are almost the same as far as beam quality and brightness. I am still on the original batteries. I think the ultra might have a bit wider beam, both lights are great.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a CMG Infinity Ultra (well two actually in package sitting in my room awaiting delivery to the buyers) and Arc aaa LE at hand. Both produce about the same amount of light (according to my eyes) as chumley says. The beams have a little different look though (in terms of color.) The CMG seems a bit bluer in tint while the arc aaa LE provides a slightly warmer tint of white. The CMG Ultra is also bigger than the arc. The price, big difference, CMG can be had for $15 while the arc aaa LE set me back $35.

As for the tint, must be my luck of getting variations in those LED's. Both are great though. I would get an CMG Ultra, but I don't "need" it.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget you can run lithiums in the Ultra, to my eyes it is a bit brighter than the Arc with a Lithium in it.

gyverpete

Enlightened
I own a CMG Ultra-G and a few ARC-AAA standards. All have white LEDs.
As others have said, the CMG and ARC both are nearly identical in beam and brightness. Neither has a significant LED advantage over the other, esp. since 5mm LEDs are slightly inconsistent.
Runtime is obviously greater with the CMGs AA. Using a lihium as an option is also a plus.
However, I favor the ARC because it is much smaller. I 24/7 carry mine on a neck lanyard and the CMG is way too big to carry that way. Also, the ARC is more refined, in its finish, and knurling. And it has a polished reflector. Yes, it is more expensive. But definitely worth it to me.

Latest posts