Neutral-white Quark AA2 tactical throw

Kalsu

Enlightened
I am looking at getting the above mentioned light (XP-G neutral-white AA2 tactical ). I have been looking around here and on the net trying to figure out what the effective throw is (my search FU is admittedly not that great). I have seen a lot of great beam shots but haven't seen much about this lights throw. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

Lucciola

Enlightened
The beam of the Quark is not very tight but more on the floody side which I find teriffically useful.

I never made a distance test, but I'd say that it should be excellent for distances around 50 meters. It will throw also farther but the illumination intensity goes down.

From my point of view the quark is an excellent general purpose light (I have the Q AA² tactical). IMHO it is designed for close to medium range and suitable for many situations. It is definitely not a specialized thrower. If you want only throw and nothing else (!) go for the dereelight Javelin or the Fenix TK20.

The Quark Turbo offers a bit more throw than the normal Quarks and could be a good compromise.

Lucciola

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
I bought a standard Quark(same as tactical except for mode selection) and ended up returning it because I wasn't happy with the throw. It's not horrible, but it's not very good either. I bought a Quark Turbo 123^2 and was much happier with it. I like the tactical UI better too.

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Lucciola. The non-turbo Quarks are great for close to mid-range use. After that you're better off with something else. If you want throw, the XP-G isn't the ideal emitter anyway. The XR-E R2 is the best right now IIRC. The throw is dramatically better for the same sized reflector.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
If they would've came out with a neutral Turbo I'd have one right now. :sold:

Kalsu

Enlightened
I am an aircraft mechanic and work graveyard so you can guess the light will be used a lot. I like the more flood pattern I have seen in some of the pictures but I need it to be able to effectively shine on the tail of the aircraft (35 ft). Who knows maybe I will get the warm AA2 turbo and the neutral AA2 tactical. I am a weak weak person when it comes to flashlights and knives :D

SixM

Newly Enlightened
You could maybe piece one together.......4/7s has some neutral heads that are not XP-Gs, so you might get more throw with them. Add a battery tube and clickey of your choice and enjoy. Just throwing out more options. :D

Kalsu

Enlightened
I may be ordering a warm AA2 Turbo.............................

Their NW .9v-4.2v heads are out of stock or building one would be a goo option.

Did I mention I am considering buying a warm AA2 turbo? :grin2:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an aircraft mechanic and work graveyard so you can guess the light will be used a lot. I like the more flood pattern I have seen in some of the pictures but I need it to be able to effectively shine on the tail of the aircraft (35 ft). Who knows maybe I will get the warm AA2 turbo and the neutral AA2 tactical. I am a weak weak person when it comes to flashlights and knives :D

35 feet is no problem for the Quark, and you can probably move it on CPFMP for $5-10 loss if you don't like it.