LED Flashlight Recommendations....

Teck1337

Newly Enlightened
2) Budget: Somewhere between $50-70ish...

3) Format: I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size: Length, doesn't matter (Though I don't want a 15in long flash light either :rolleyes:)... But I need to be able to put it in a 1in VTac weapon light mount. So it needs a diameter of ~1in. The mount has set screws also so a little smaller would be fine.

5) Emitter/Light source: LED

6) Manufacturer: I don't care... Though I have to say that I am a fan of 4Sevens lights.

7) What battery type do you want to use?: I generally use Lithium batteries, but SOMETIMES (very rarely) I will use Alkaline. I do prefer AA's because of the availability, but am somewhat flexible as to size.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? I need something that can do between 50-200ish Lumens... Though, Ideally I would like a variable brightness light.

9) Throw vs. Flood: I really do have a huge backyard, :) so 50yrds+ of throw would be preferred.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output). I need at least 60 minutes of real run-time.

11) Durability/Usage: Usage will be for a .22LR AR-15 that's used for training. Therefore, if it were to break It's not going to cost me my life. I put my expensive lights that I would trust me life to on my primary carbine.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply): I need the switch to be tail mounted, ideally with a momentary on feature.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. A simple On/Off is okay... However, Ideally I would like to have Multiple light levels and a strobe mode.

14)Material/Finish/Coating: I don't care.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Flashlight Recommendations....

Hello Teck1337, :welcome:
As you are requesting a recommendation for an LED flashlight, let me see about getting your thread moved to the /LED/ subforum ...

Lumenz

Enlightened

I use a Fenix TK11 for my shotgun. It is in your $70-ish price range if you shop around. It seems pretty durable, very bright, has excellent runtime based on what Fenix states (haven't tested it myself), has a foreward clicky which means momentary on.

I think it would be an excellent choice for your AR-15.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Moving this to LED forum per recommendations.

Bill

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Some people use the Fenix TK11 as a mounted light. Simple 2 modes and a forward clickie. Tighten bezel for high, loosen for low. Fenix also has pressure switches for their TK series if you'd like to use those.

If you want more modes, the light might get harder to use, and could also change modes during firing due to recoil. This will depend on how mode switching is done.

:welcome:

Teck1337

Newly Enlightened

Some people use the Fenix TK11 as a mounted light. Simple 2 modes and a forward clickie. Tighten bezel for high, loosen for low. Fenix also has pressure switches for their TK series if you'd like to use those.

If you want more modes, the light might get harder to use, and could also change modes during firing due to recoil. This will depend on how mode switching is done.

:welcome:

Thanks for the suggestions... Looking at the Fenix TK11 it does look like the best option for my use. Before, I had kind of passed over it because the head diameter was not 1in so I guess I just tossed it out as an option.

Anyway, I'm glad I joined and asked some questions. My week long search for a weapon light I liked was turning into a pile of frustrations :p

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most 2xAA lights aren't 1" OD (most are smaller). Your best bet is 2x123A or 1x18650 light. With the lithiums, you'll get more output and longer runtimes.

Along with the light below, I would recommend the EagleTac T20C2 and Olight M20, but both of those are out of your price range ($85 and $95 respectively).

The Dereelight CL1H V4 is just under $70 after CPF discount I believe. You don't have to worry about it giving out or whatnot as it's a quality light. Has momentary and easily accessible lower modes. The module is also upgradeable so you don't have to buy a whole light when newer, brighter LEDs are available.

Toaster

Enlightened
Eagletac T100C2 MKII fits your requirements. You can get a remote pressure switch for it as well.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Enlightened
The Fenix TK12 R5 looks a very good light with outstanding regulation and has IMO better features than the TK11 R2 that I own in the way of a lower low setting.
It also has a strobe unlike the 11 and will easily get out 50+ yards.

Weapon mountable with a remote switch and with filters available so looking good there.

Selfbuilt's TK12 review here...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/274781

ATB,

Steve.