Big battery

Kiessling

Flashaholic
40 MW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh my.
why did they use NiCad? Seems a bit out of date to me ...
bernhard

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine a Li-Ion battery that size would present quite an explosive hazzard. On the Other hand, it would be cool to direct drive a luxeon off that.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
I imagine a Li-Ion battery that size would present quite an explosive hazzard. On the Other hand, it would be cool to direct drive a luxeon off that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad they can't collect all that hydrogen and put it to good use.

Brightnorm

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Grief! And I thought my emergency back-ups were big. Don`t think one of those would run Alaska in a blackout though. They barely struggle to keep the computer afloat.

But if that`s the battery bank, how big must the inverter be....?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

highlandsun

Enlightened
Despite the advances in NiMH and LiIon, NiCd is still king for high current drain. I'd imagine supporting a city-size power grid demands that sort of ability. But NiCd also requires periodic conditioning to avoid memory effect, I wonder how they'll do that.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Chris M. said:
Good Grief! And I thought my emergency back-ups were big....snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got two 70Ahs, and six 7Ahs. If I need to, I can get a hold of a few more of the 70s

php_44

Enlightened
We have a lot of power outages - usually during conditions that cause flooding. Sooo I justified 2 six volt 250AH batteries, and a 12V->115V 1500W inverter with a home grown charger, automatic switchover, and a monitor panel with lots of bright colorful LEDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif --- all to keep our sump pump happy for a day or two along with power for a gas fireplace with blower and a few lights.

It's been so cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif to go down to the basement and see the control panel with it's gleaming LEDs during a blackout, and have some heat, some light, and be able to sleep knowing the basement won't flood.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Very cool,

Where I work, Boltswitch, Inc. we make the switches that turn the strings of batteries on and off.

Here's an example of a 2000 amp, 600 VDC rated switch:

http://www.boltswitch.com/O-1511.pdf

Much more impressive in person though.

Eric