Surefire C3 Questions

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I just picked up a NOS Surefire C3 Centurion S/N 76. Its ~10 years old. I was just curious if a low S/N SF model is more or less desirable than a new model.

Thx

EPSN0037.jpg

EPSN0038.jpg

EPSN0039.jpg

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
In my experience, Surefire serial numbers don't mean anything. I have newer Surefire lights with much lower serial numbers than older lights.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I just picked up a NOS Surefire C3 Centurion S/N 76. Its ~10 years old. I was just curious if a low S/N SF model is more or less desirable than a new model.

Thx

Post a pic?

As far as I recall, the C3 has not changed a lot over the years. My C2 (the 2-cell sibling of the litter) is six years old and is indistinguishable from current models. Other C3's I recall seeing around then have also remained largely the same.

SF lights may have minor changes to the lettering and the style of the engraving on the side, but these generally don't change their value on CPF unless someone is after something very specific (ie. E2e with 3 flat sides, with a specific style of engraving)

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
Post a pic?

As far as I recall, the C3 has not changed a lot over the years. My C2 (the 2-cell sibling of the litter) is six years old and is indistinguishable from current models. Other C3's I recall seeing around then have also remained largely the same.

SF lights may have minor changes to the lettering and the style of the engraving on the side, but these generally don't change their value on CPF unless someone is after something very specific (ie. E2e with 3 flat sides, with a specific style of engraving)

I'll take & post some pics when I get home. Obvious differences from my newer C3 are:
a. Surefire logo
b. Clip design
c. Bezel (no bezel ring on output side of light).

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa! NICE! Yeah, that will fetch a pretty penny on the MP...PM ME first if you want to sell...NOT Kestrel!!! :nana: LOL! Actually, I wouldn't sell that...that is VERY NICE! Cross hairs, and the old clip...Man...very nice!

The older one's like that, the S/N's do tend to fetch a higher price...I would pay more for a C3-BK like yours.

Last edited:

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
Whoa! NICE! Yeah, that will fetch a pretty penny on the MP...PM ME first if you want to sell...NOT Kestrel!!! :nana: LOL! Actually, I wouldn't sell that...that is VERY NICE! Cross hairs, and the old clip...Man...very nice!

The older one's like that, the S/N's do tend to fetch a higher price...I would pay more for a C3-BK like yours.

Thanks for the feedback. If I decide to sell it (probably not) I'll shoot you a PM. It's been upgarded with a Malkoff M60 and on duty in my top dresser drawer!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I PM'd you I'd be interested also depending on price and stuff. Glad to hear it is on dresser drawer duty though, hopefully that means it will be lightly used. :)

I have C3-HA serial 76x and it doesn't have the crosshairs logo. It has the round body and curved pocket clip though like yours. That logo must have been on the C3's for a very short time. I have an older C2 A0362x and it has the crosshairs with round body and pocket clip. Everything I've seen tells me Surefire released the C2 about a year or more before the C3.

Don't have any old SF catalogs to prove it though.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
In answer to your question, there really isn't any major distinction between low and high serial numbers - although there will be shifts in minor design and function over the life of a Surefire model.

Especially for your purposes, it's almost meaningless because you've updated the guts and the host has a classic, timeless aesthetic. :grin2:

-Trevor

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Thanks for the feedback. If I decide to sell it (probably not) I'll shoot you a PM. It's been upgarded with a Malkoff M60 and on duty in my top dresser drawer!
LOL, AOW knows me well, I guess he's got first dibbs then. :( I think that I'm the craziest retro C3-BK buff around here though. Keep me in mind too, this would be a perfect pairing to my retro C2-BK ;)

I really really like your light. :D

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's got the "fish belly." the newer ones are square. The older ones have a round bottom. I got a fat bottomed C3 sporting a KT2 and Z48 running a Milkytower.

BTW welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
I got a smoking deal on a KT2 and quickly upgraded the C3. Looks pretty cool IMHO. Next is a Nailbender XPG tower.

EPSN0042.jpg

EPSN0041.jpg

EPSN0040.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is beautiful!!! Brings a tear to my eye. :hitit:

Whoa got a little carried away there.. let's hope AW releases some IMR17500's one of these days for our little SF beauties. P17500's still work okay for the lower powered stuff.

cfromc

Enlightened
I had both newer and older C3s and much prefer the older ones with the round side. I sold all the 4 flats ones long ago and kept two of the rounded ones. It is one of the most perfect SureFires ever - great feel, grip ring, and clip.

tandem

Enlightened
Pretty. I like pretty, but chances are if I had a nice old C2 that looked like your C3, to borrow someone else's phrase, I'd be saying "drill baby drill"!

I figure if I'm going to keep something forever anyway, why not bore it out for 18650's. Blasphemy to some I'm sure!

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments. I figured that SF "C" fans would like this light/head combo. No plans to bore this one although I do have a C2 and a newer C3 on their way to Oveready for a bore job. :)