Favourite Cheap Flashlight?

Clay

Newly Enlightened
We all have many lights that are state of the art -- Sure-Fire, Streamlight, Photon, etc.

But do you have a favourite cheapie flashlight?

I am fond of the Ray-O-Vac workhorses. They come in different denominations: 2AA, 2C, 2D, 3D, and even have a lantern type (this is what my grandmother uses for trips to the attic). I have put Carley bulbs in my 2D models, but the standard bulb is very good. They are durable, have a pretty good beam shape, and cost about $6 (and I got a number when they were 2 for $6 on sale at Walgreens)

So what are your favourites?

Size15's

Flashaholic
What is considered cheap in the UK, may well be considered expensive in the USA, where as most things in the USA are considered dirt-cheap by those from the UK...

Things I consider cheap, may reflect more on my warped standards or reality, rather than the UK as a whole.

The best cheap flashlight I've every used is the Pelican StealthLite.
(UKE are meant ot be very good, as are SL-ProPoly, but I've not tried any of these.)

Al

mikep

Enlightened
I like one I got at Target- "Greatland", I believe (store brand). 4 AA's , rubber coated, faceted reflector, pushbutton switch. It's light and easy to carry, pretty bright.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2 "D" cell Greatland light I also got at Target...I don`t remember how much but think it was around $5 including batts. It has a fauceted reflector and a nice medium range beam with a wrist strap all rubber coated. I`m not sure if it is my favorite cheap light but it is indestructable and get`s plenty of use as it rest on top of the refrigerator. I also have a Greatland 2 "AA" light with a yellow Led that hangs out in the shower for emergence use.

Chinook

Newly Enlightened
I don't know its name, butt it is by Eveready and is bright yellow plastic. It has a fat stubby body with 4 AA's inside in a circular arrangement. The head is a wide shallow flare with a large reflector. The beam is brighter and farther reaching than my UKE 4AA.

The head can be extended exposing a diffusing translucent sleeve and stood on its head for a table/area light or hung from its lanyard inside a tent.

I bought it for 7 or 8 bucks w/batteries then bought more for my parents' bedside for emergencies.

Eveready Sport/Area Light

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one here made by Exide that takes a "996" type 6 volt lantern battery- the large ones with the springs on top. It`s pretty big (nearly 8ins long and a 4-1/2 inch reflector on it) quite plasticky and doesn`t look like it would survive much serious abuse, but it only cost £3 (about US$5) and the batteries are £1.63- they last a long time too. It`s waterproof (floats) and VERY bright, shines over 300ft. Get yours in the UK from Screwfix Direct (screwfix.com)
A great light for poking round the car engine, attic, basement or seeing what that noise was at the bottom of the garden.

grin.gif
tongue.gif

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chinook:
Eveready and is bright yellow plastic. It has a fat stubby body with 4 AA's inside in a circular arrangement. The head is a wide shallow flare with a large reflector. The beam is brighter and farther reaching than my UKE 4AA.

The head can be extended exposing a diffusing translucent sleeve and stood on its head for a table/area light or hung from its lanyard inside a tent.
Eveready Sport/Area Light
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We lucked out, just before Christmas our Wal-mart had these on close-out for like 2 bucks. We got one for each of our 4 kids. I have since put double LED's in each of them. The kids love them and I'm waiting for one of them to leave one lying around so I can steal it.
grin.gif

Otherwise I've got some little coleman double AA flashlights that are pretty nice. Again we got them for the kids, they had pumpkin heads for them and darn if I didn't find a couple lying around
smile.gif

You snooze you loose.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The best cheap flashlight I've every used is the Pelican StealthLite
---------
Oh man and I thought my my StealthLite was a good one.

Anyway my favorite cheap one is also the fat, stubby yellow one mentioned above.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Cheap is a relative term. If you mean under $10 then my cheapie light would be a camo MiniMag that I got at a gun show for $5.

Compared to the price of my other lights, I'd say that my favorite el cheapo light is my Super Sabrelight.

My monster-in-law has something goofy and odd looking from Garity that they call a flashlight. Everytime I try and throw it away, her arthritic neck seems to move on a swivel making it impossible to trash this flashlight imitation. I think she got it as part of 2 light package; armored 2D and an armored 2AA. Wow. And both for only $6.99!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garrity "angle-head"-just like the Army ones-with belt clip that they made for a very short time. (haven't seen 'em for awhile).. I threw the two batteries out, switched to 4.8v bulb, and put in 4>1/2 AAs (from an old cordless phone), and presto!, a powerful clip-on flashlite for less than $4.total

JoeyL

Enlightened
My favorite cheap light is the Eveready Sport lantern at Home Depot for 6.99.
It came with a krypton bulb and I switched the battery for old NiMH cellphone batteries and it works great. However if you use new cells it isnt very cheap anymore.
Also Office Depot had the double barrel Energizer 8 AA light for about 9 bucks. Also a good deal. However it seems heavy enough to double duty as a hammer.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the sears 4aa tool-light comes to mind as "cheap" being rubber coated, good switch, etc. with the sears guarantee, bring it back and they'll fix/replace. at $8 thats cheap! ps i keep the halogen bulb in it's holder and use 2led bulb for maximum "cheapness"
smile.gif
now it's a $28 light and not so cheap
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Cheap - or free.... a number of years back I found a cheapass plastic Garrity 2-C light in the gutter in front of a bar, and it turned out to be surprisingly durable and useful.
I must have used that little black & purple flashlight as my primary light for eight or ten years before it disappeared.
I think someone else also thought it was a good flashlight too, and somehow managed to steal it - instead of going to the store and springing the $2 or $3 for it.

I also bought a couple of versions of the Eveready Halogen that did alright until the switch mounts eventually broke from being dropped too many times.
blush.gif

I had bought these around 1989 at Pay-N-Save for somewhere around $10 including batteries.

BobSnow

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a few Philips "Sliders" a couple of years ago. They take 3 AA batteries and have a cover over the lens that turns on the light when you slide it out of the way. It's about 2"x4"x3/4" and fits nicely in a glovebox.It has a lanyard that allows you to hang it around your neck as well.