Streamlight TL-2 LED Good!

Aux

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a SL TL-2 LED from a local dealer this morning. I must say I am impressed. A nice hotspot in the center with a very usable flood. As a backup for my Stinger (if the Stinger quits at the wrong time, or when I do not need that much light for closeup work), this thing is the best I have found so far.

I was able to compare a couple of individual units, and learned what the Luxeon Lottery is. Both were bright and nicely focused, but there was a distinct difference in color. Mine is white with a touch of blue/purple, the other was slightly greener, leading to a less intense appearance. If you purchase one (and I recommend you do!), see if you can try before you buy. Someone else here gave the same advice.

Edited to remove TL-3 comments due to an error I made when examining it.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight TL-2 LED Good! TL-3 not as...

Aux..I agree completely about the TL-2 LED. I just posted some impressions as well, and like you, I'm very pleased/impressed with this light!

PJD

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

These things are not focusable>>>>>>>

Hmmmm- I just tested mine at about five feet, with a yard stick for measuring device.

My TL-2 focuses down to about a 12" hot spot, defocuses to a hot spot of about 17"

My TL-3 focuses down to about a 14" hot spot, defocuses to a hot spot of about 20"

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have not measured the hotspots, but my TL-2 has a much cleaner and tighter hotspot with a more uniform beam with no trace of artifacts. My TL-3 is WAY bright, but has a touch of the donut hole when it is open or grows spines on the outside edge of the hotspot when I tighten it down (and the hotspot gets a little lopsided). Throw is fine, and the color on both is quite good with just a touch of purple in the TL-2. I am very pleased with both of them.

Between these two, my green L1 and my Mini-mini-Mag, I have gone to a 100% LED EDC rotation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Aux

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
These things are not focusable>>>>>>>

Hmmmm- I just tested mine at about five feet, with a yard stick for measuring device.

My TL-2 focuses down to about a 12" hot spot, defocuses to a hot spot of about 17"

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right! I just confirmed that the bezel does indeed turn - intially mine was tight! I was hesitant to apply too much pressure, but it gave way, and now focuses easily.

Maybe I will go back and try that TL-3 again...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it possible to interchange heads on the TL-2 and TL-3? Any "guts" pics?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it possible to interchange heads on the TL-2 and TL-3?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Na, the TL-3 head is MUCH larger than the TL-2.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Is it possible to interchange heads on the TL-2 and TL-3?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Na, the TL-3 head is MUCH larger than the TL-2.

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't they both screw onto the same size barrel? That is what I meant.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope, sorry, the TL-3 bezel and lens assembly is much bigger. They do not screw on the 123 sized barrel.

coolguy

Newly Enlightened

Just recieved my TL-2 last night! Ordered from BrightGuy about a week and a half ago but, USPS has been slower than usual lately. In any case after seeing beamshots I was a little dissapointed with the initial brightness of my TL-2. I guess I was expecting it to be close to the brightness of the xenon version. But, after turning the beam around on myself, I quickly changed my mind. I was blinded for a good minute or so...(it was stupid I know) It focuses into a nice little spot, and throws the beam fairly well for an LED. I'm able to illuminate trees at the top of my hill in the back of my house. This surprised me because I have only been able to do so with a well focused incandescent(tec-40, surge, spotlights, mags) I am pleasantly surprised with the weight, size, feel, brightness and color of my TL-2. My TL-2 is very white. Considering that my LS, is a factory second I became very used to that slightly greenish tinge. Seeing the beam from the TL-2 came as a shock. It's so white! I just ordered the 3 AA Luxeon Task light from BrightGuy. I hope it's just as white.